DIY Oil Change - CR140

Thanks wiilydog!

I couldn't find any images of the underside of a MkII Superb, found a Fabia though!

I appreciate there won't be the aluminium block on these pictures but when I crawl under my car in the morning to take come pictures in which general direction do I need to be looking?

This guy seems to have found a unique spot on this Fabia...

AudiTTFrontSteeringoverhaul076.jpg

AudiTTFrontSteeringoverhaul087.jpg

Edited by silver1011

Don't jack the chassis rail Silver it'll deform, anything man enough to jack from will have a bolt through it,

I tend to jack on the mount Willy said and slip a stand under the chassis rail and leave the jack in position, that way it's a failsafe that gives you enough time to get out of dodge in time as the stand will catch the car if the jack fails.

That or use the car jack in the designated slot and then place the stand under where Willy showed you.

Be careful when undoing the sump nut, if it's tight you risk rocking the car, best way is to get a long handle of sorts on it and use leverage while keeping a good pressure on the socket/spanner so you don't round the nut off if you slip.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips Supurbia, I plan to lift one side up on the trolley jack, slide under an axle stand and lower it down off the jack onto the stand.

I'll do the same on the other side and then as you say leave the jack up under the sill as a fail safe.

I might try and find some chocks for the rear wheels too.

Now I know where to support the car from on the stands I'm good to go!

• Like 1

This will be the first DIY service on the Superb, but I regularly dropped the oil on my old 1999 Peugeot 306 diesel.

The Pug was great though, no plastic under-tray, the sump plug was forward facing at the front of the engine, as was the traditional style oil filter.

It could all be done on the trolley jack with an axle stand for safety.

I have a long breaker bar for the torque wrench so I'm hoping there won't be much rocking, assuming it doesn't take me all day to work round all of the Torx screws to get access to the sump plug!

• 2 weeks later...

I used to undo the sump plug (years ago) but once (on a Ford Fiesta) the plug stripped the thread I decided to find another method. 

Also now in the days of awkward under-trays then my reasons for crawling around under the car have evaporated.  

Now as I only use fully synthetic oil I find you don't get any sludge so oil changes are now only via the dipstick sucking it out... 

It really is that easy.

• 2 weeks later...

How do you reset it off you have a keyless entry system

Are you asking how to reset the service interval?

I'm not aware having KESSY makes any difference?

It is possible to manually reset the service indicator but this defaults it back to fixed (10,000 miles or 12 months - whichever is reached first).

To reset a car on variable intervals (up to approx. 2 years / 24 months) you will need VCDS or a dealer.

What is the required SAE oil spec?

For all 1.6 and 2.0 litre diesel Superb's (with DPF's fitted) you need fully synthetic 5W-30 that meets the VW 507.00 specification (this will be quoted on the container)...

58_zpsqtashpde.jpg

Are you asking how to reset the service interval?

I'm not aware having KESSY makes any difference?

It is possible to manually reset the service indicator but this defaults it back to fixed (10,000 miles or 12 months - whichever is reached first).

To reset a car on variable intervals (up to approx. 2 years / 24 months) you will need VCDS or a dealer.

Just preparing for when mine gets close to end of warranty period, then I'll do the oil changes myself. If it defaults back to 10k all I'll have to do is reset it and wait until it goes off again 10 k later before i change oil ?