VRS owners comments please.

First post , so here goes.

i test drove a Octavia estate diesel dsg vrs last week, really loved the car, so will be looking to get one around june time, 14/64 plate.

i drive around 18,000  miles a year,mainly 30 mile each way commutes, good A roads and some motorway,  at present I have a Vauxhall insignia2.0ltr diesel 160 bhp manual getting around 42mpg combined.  (real world figures not the nearly 50mpg in manual).

I am trying to decide between the petrol and diesel version of the Octavia, both manual and auto.

what i need from VRS owners is  real world  mpg figures for these cars, Im not looking for figures where people have driven to the extreme to get the highest figures but normal driving . 

i know the petrol wont probably get above 40 mpg but If it works out close to what Im getting from the Insignia ie  money wise for services and cheaper fuel then I might be tempted.

Please could you post your mpg figures and car spec please

the garage mentioned probably mid to High 30mpg's for the petrol, mid to high 40mpg's fot the diesel 

any feedback greatly received .

thanks

I would expected better mpg from a MkIII vRS TDi DSG.

My 2012 (27K miles) MkII FL vRS CR DSG has averaged 43.1mpg over the 18K miles I have owned it (calculated, not read-out).

Hello, i regularly drive my Mk3 VRS TDI (Manual) 250 miles at a time, and get an average of 50 - 55mpg, that's on the M1, A43, A34 so a mix of motorway and many speed variations for roundabouts. Even with stop start traffic on the M1 carpark/motorway at peak times, I struggle to get below 50mpg.

As Clarkson would say on motorways I drive around 79mph (Limit +10% +2).

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My vRS is the 220 TSi DSG and the last time I looked it up long term consumption I was getting 33.2 mpg, which isn't bad considering I don't have many long journeys at all, the longest being about 20-25 miles in the last 6 months.

I only fill up on SUL 95 RON or better and when I have done long journeys I've regularly had 40+ mpg out of it. So on a long journey it's great, not so hot around town & shorter journeys.

I have had my VRS TDI DSG Estate for 2 months now and done 2500KM.  The average I have since start is 5.7 litres per 100K, which is 49 MPG.  I have however noticed that this is getting better.  My best out of a tank was 58 MPG, this included a few country trips.  I do drive in ECO mode a fair bit (maybe 60% of the time).  Compared to all the other cars I have ever had, the VRS in Eco mode is much faster than any of them.  I get a thrill even driving it in normal mode let alone sport mode.

I'm averaging around the 42mpg mark after 5,000 miles. Lots of mixed driving of short runs of 6 miles and then some longer back roads and motorways doing around 120 miles. My driving style also heavily varies depending on mood and if it's a decent back road!

I have a petrol manual estate and use 98 Ron fuel. It spends a lot of time in town on school and shopping runs and hovers at about 30 mpg which I'm fine with in winter. For longer trips (2-3 hours) it increases to about 40 average and 45 as a 'being careful' figure. Not fully run in yet at 5,000 miles.

Petrol manual hatch running almost solely 97 or 98ron and 75% of its time motorway or good a roads, the rest central London. I average about 36 mpg over 5300_miles. Looks like the garage's guess was about right for the petrol.

There are my users of this site tracking their fuel economy on Fuelly.com (Check out the signiture as JoseDB suggested to compare Petrol vs Diesel).

I'm getting over 50mpg in my diesel vRS (2x50 mile round trips per day commute).

On long steady runs, it can head towards the high 50's.

Last week I was driving in the alps in France, 5 people, full boot with roofbars & skis on top & I returned 48mpg.

As JoseDB, its a vRS so when you drive it as such, it will use more fuel.

But with normal driving both the petrol & diesel seem to return quite nice fuel figures.

Edited by Gabbo

My car is the VRS TSI DSG Hatch, just done over 27k miles so well run in,

My car is also mapped so will give you both figures as I do over 20k miles a year on a good mix of roads;

Pre map on long journeys was easily able to achieve 44+mpg, long term average over 10k+ miles of driving came in at 39.6mpg (brim to brim calculated although I have to say the trip computer is spot on in mine).

Post map (330+bhp) over the last 7k miles my long term average has fallen to 35.8mpg although that has something to do with the fun factor and my heavy right foot wanting to go faster  :D  :D

I think the garage are spot on, both great engines and if driven sensibly will return good numbers, however that's the problem right there, how do you drive a VRS sensibly over a long period of time  :D  :D

My diesel vRS is averaging 47-48MPG at the moment after 9200 miles.  I do a mainly A road commute, 30 mile round trip plus at weekend we do a 50 mile round trip to the nearest city for shopping.

I have had the on-board reading 55+ on long stretches.  We did a trip to Bournemouth from the midlands not long after I bought the car and that gave me 45ish, bearing in mind the car was only a couple of months old by then

During my daily commute to work I have gotten 67 mpg (once), but longterm average is about 41-49. My hope is that when the car is well run in it will average mid 50 when driving eco-friendly. I have to say, it was a lot easier getting 65-70 mpg in my Golf 5 1.4 TSI140 twinturbo. When I got 67 in the vRS, I was driving like an old lady and carefully planning my driving - it was really hard! Can't help but to miss the old 1.4 TSI engine sometimes.

2014 2.0tdi VRs. My long term average since I've had the car shows at 41.9mpg and that does involve some spritely driving on the M1 and around Milton Keynes. I've so far clocked up 5000 miles on it. 80% of which is motorway, if I was to drive more conservatively I'm sure I could touch 50mpg but what's the point in having a VRs if your going to drive like that! But as others have said I think there comes a point where the engine settles down and mpg goes up .... I'm still waiting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably won't help, but my 2.0tdi vrs dsg hatch averages about 38mpg, :|

I spend most of my time in stop start traffic, so its no supprise its such a horrendous figure.

Just for comparison, my 2005 Seat Leon Cupra R Petrol gets <18mpg on the same journey :devil:

I seem to be getting very similar figures to my Mk2 vRS diesel, however my Mk3 isn't run in yet (1500 miles) - both are DSG.

Around town, which are short journeys with a lot of stop/start driving, it averages low to mid 30's (previous petrols have been very low 20's). Long motorway runs (not particularly hanging about) it is currently averaging mid to higher 40's (previous petrols being low 30's).

From memory, the best I had from my Mk2 was 49+ mpg on a motorway run, and a trip around Scotland gave me an overall average of 47.5 (four adults and bootfull of luggage). I don't expect the Mk3 to be any worse, in fact possibly slightly better.

In fact, I've just checked my Fuelly account, my old car averaged 41.8 mpg with the new one currently at 39.6 mpg. Not too bad considering that the majority of my use is short town journeys.

I have a vRS TDI DSG Estate and mine is as per my Fuelly below.  Car has done 17.5k.  MPGs have increased as it run in.  My daily commute is 40 - 50 miles each way (depending on site) and a mix of country roads and motorway.  Usually these days I see about 48 - 50 mpg per tankful, although I can get it down to 30's for a spirited drive!!

Just like to say thank you for all your comments and fuel figures.

i do think i will be swayed towards the diesel, its plenty quick enough for me , but still  gives good fuel returns.

i will be keeping the car for at least 5 years this time, so I just need to work out the cost differences.

Once again thank you

Mines on 7k miles and I do 70 mile round trip each day (20 miles on slow a roads, rest on dual carriageway - but it's braking and accelerating due to varying speeds 40-80 mph as could be tractors or fast drivers etc ) this morning was gentle on throttle but most of dual carriage way was at around 80 and way in the Columbus read 49.7mog but I must have been a bit keener to get home as mpg was 44.4. Long term and us around 43 at the mo - It's a co car and the target is 45mpg to keep the Chiefs happy, so hoping to get better overall economy on longer runs (I will be doing more for work soon). But as said, you don't really get a vRs for economy purposes - but is good to know you can go easy and get some reasonable figures.