Ex rental car?

Wizzmed

I don't want to start the whole 'Is my car an ex rental' postings again. I am under no illusions that any used car under a year old is likely to have come from rental or lease stock.

I bought my superb at 9 months old with 5k on the clock. Log book says previous owner was Skoda uk and its PDI was done by paragon. So I knew that it was likely an ex rental and the price reflected this.

What puzzles me is that most of the ex rentals on skoda dealers forecourts have around 13k on the clock and have number plates starting with either an F or a G. However mine only has 5k on the clock and a number plate starting with a D. And ive noticed other cars starting with a D also have around 5k on the clock.

So does anyone know who had these cars to start with and why they are moved on with such low mileages compared with the others?

I must say my car is imaculate and cant find any fault with it.

As above, a car with 5,000 miles on it will not be an ex-rental.

Our Octavia Scout was less than 12 months old and had 8K on it when we bought it.

This was several years ago, at the time Skoda UK were paying little tricks to maximise their numbers of registered vehicles (a key measure for Skoda in the Czech Republic to monitor the success of the brand in key markets).

Skoda UK would register the car and allocate them out to their management teams in Milton Keynes, or anyone in a role that qualified for the use of a company car.

They would then run them up to a maximum of 5-8,000 miles at which point they would be made available to their dealer network for sale as a nearly new but importantly 'used' car.

There's a good chance it was a staff lease car. Dx xx xxx  is very common for staff at Bentley, I had a few when worked there. They have to be well looked after, and are usually swapped out at six months with a max of 6k miles. 

My 62 plate 4x4 combi had 8000 miles on it at 1 year, when bought; I have just found paperwork in the rear seat pocket showing it was recovered from a motorway to a Skoda garage, leased by an engineering company.

Skoda HQ administer the scheme and are based in MK. OU plated cars are local to MK so used by staff in the MK office for example, but DA is Stoke / Crewe area and will mostly be lease cars. My own is DF my wifes is  DA but we also have DK, DE round here.  The reason I bought my Mk2 Estate was how pleased I was with a Mk2 Elegance 170 4x4 saloon I had on the scheme.

It changed recently though, as the early ones were MK based plates (OV, OY, OU) then for some reason they were registered in Hull where they were PDI'd (KU and similar). Can't remember when they started registering in Stoke / Crewe, but its got to be at least four years ago. I had a Mk1 Superb on the scheme but don't remember the reg. In the earlier days they were kept for 9 months / 9k miles max.

Very likely to have been looked after, its too expensive if you don't as they are inspected thoroughly on return. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. In fact, in the past I have.

Edited by lowedb

My superb greenline was ex skoda stock , registered end of jan 2015 , I bought it end of October with the grand total of 2230 miles on the clock

My superb greenline was ex skoda stock , registered end of jan 2015 , I bought it end of October with the grand total of 2230 miles on the clock

So you bought it three months before it was registered!

Edited by Danny 57

Company , lease and rental cars  aren't treated well, they are always hammered  unless you are very lucky. People don't look after stuff unless it's their own

Very true but not always, a close eye around the inside normally gives clues as to how it's been treated, if it's less than 20k and it still has a sort of new car feel to it you can generally conclude it's been thought of as my own rather than "now lets get that rev counter into the red and see what happens"

Edited by Supurbia

I have had lots of company cars and I always treated them as my own, simply because I had them for three years and wanted them to look nice and give good mpg as I was usually paid for business mileage only but not always and that included temporary cars as well.

But hay ho we are all different (thank god says ........).

Company , lease and rental cars  aren't treated well, they are always hammered  unless you are very lucky. People don't look after stuff unless it's their own

No. Not always, sometimes.

Intresting subject, was talking to my local dealer yesterday after looking at the new Fabia and we were talking about ex skoda HQ cars.

He told me keep away from reg numbers starting with  " F "  Daily rental cars, " G " are long term rental ( lease cars ), " K " are  Ex Managers cars, " M " cars that have been at Milton Keynes HQ, " O " Press cars or test cars ( Car Mags etc or for Clarkson to thrash round a circuit )

Think I've got them the right way round. He had a list on the PC with  cars available on there system for sale within the whole group 

• Like 1

My car reg started with OV , I have noticed some of the cars on the start of drama programmes sponsored by Skoda are also OV plates , not sure the relevance but thought it was a bit more than a coincidence seeing car was originally owned by skoda .

Intresting subject, was talking to my local dealer yesterday after looking at the new Fabia and we were talking about ex skoda HQ cars.

He told me keep away from reg numbers starting with " F " Daily rental cars, " G " are long term rental ( lease cars ), " K " are Ex Managers cars, " M " cars that have been at Milton Keynes HQ, " O " Press cars or test cars ( Car Mags etc or for Clarkson to thrash round a circuit )

Think I've got them the right way round. He had a list on the PC with cars available on there system for sale within the whole group