I am having Hybrid thoughts.... Golf GTE

James I

... in particular the new Golf GTE, it has a 1.4 turbo petrol engine, a washing machine motor linked to DSG and front wheel drive.

What caught my eye was the fact it has 35g/km emissions meaning it will cost me hardly anything on my company car tax and it is only 1/10th of a second slower than the GTD Golf to 62mph, with a fairly impressive 7.6 seconds, it also has a claimed 188mpg which I am sure will be more like 60mpg in daily use.

This is a true plug in hybrid with all the looks of a GTi/GTD Golf, has anybody bought one or test driven one?  

Here is a link to a autoexpress LINK

Road test bt Kryton.

Edited by James I
  • Like 1

Someone at work has been trying the A3 E-tron which has a quoted 30 mile range, yet struggles with a 10mile each way work journey. You really have to drive like a milk float to get the quoted range.

Really needs a charger at work to be 100% electric on the drive to/from work.

It's a huge premium over a 1.4tsi, for not a lot of "free" miles

Someone at work has been trying the A3 E-tron which has a quoted 30 mile range, yet struggles with a 10mile each way work journey. You really have to drive like a milk float to get the quoted range.

Really needs a charger at work to be 100% electric on the drive to/from work.

It's a huge premium over a 1.4tsi, for not a lot of "free" miles

My current commute is 60 miles each way, I run a diesel 1 series BMW, the Golf GTE is a bit of a gimmick IMO but with a tax band of only 5% this car is a really cheap option as a company car and it has half decent performance.

I would need a test drive before I made my decision.   I have also read the Golf is a better option than the Audi E-tron, not sure how they make that decision as they must be exactly the same except for the body shape!

Sounds very interesting to me as well, I like the sound of the 5% BIK. Our February company news letter mentions anyone getting an electric/hybrid vehicle will have an electric charging point installed at work at the companies expense for anyone getting a vehicle like this. One of our company directors has just got a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. He lives 10 miles from the office, charges it at work which gets him home and back again the next day, I'm not sure he ever puts petrol in it. I've also noticed an increasing number of charging points at motorway service stations and in public car parks, especially in cities.

I think there is a Passat version coming out soon as well.

I have enquired to VW today, the first cars will be in the UK in April, prolonged test drive is booked!

Delivery times are three months, so I still have plenty of time as my car swap is the end of September.

With regard to charging, the Golf will charge from empty to full in 4 hours from a standard 240 volt outlet, quicker from a dedicated charge point.

I think Autocar road tested the Audi E-tron a few weeks ago.

The Electric only range was much less than the quoted 30 miles in the winter temps.

My interest dropped when I read their average mpg with the petrol engine running was 28 mpg....

I think Autocar road tested the Audi E-tron a few weeks ago.

The Electric only range was much less than the quoted 30 miles in the winter temps.

My interest dropped when I read their average mpg with the petrol engine running was 28 mpg....

only 28 mpg?   they claim 188mpg on the official VW figures!

Might be going for a GTD if the figures are correct.

28mpg? While I dont expect thats its going to get anywhere near the 188mpg I'd expect it to manage more than that, my mates MK7 GTi will manage 30+ mpg! I think the biggest lure is the company car cost saving, as long as it has reasonable running cost then the saving in tax will be enough while retaining a quick motor to drive. 

only 28 mpg?   they claim 188mpg on the official VW figures!

Might be going for a GTD if the figures are correct.

Seriously, you are never ever going to get around 188mpg unless you do very specific types of journeys.

Like mostly short ones after charging.  And the reason for the 4 hour recharge time is the small battery.

The problem is the way mpg figures are calculated.

Cars like this are good at performing really well on the MPG/CO2 tests.  Which does make them very attractive to fleet.

At the end of the day it's dragging around two drive systems.

And after a certain number of miles one is little more than ballast.

I tested an Ampera a while back and I know someone that has one.  I averaged 44mpg.

They made all kinds of claims about it fuel economy and how much it had saved them.  Paid for itself apparently.

When I sat down and worked out the figures it was all BS.

Thiers averaged less than a small economical diesel but they thought they'd saved the £12k depreciation in 18 months in fuel savings. :D

I can't see it being as good as the GTI/GTD because it's heavier.  I'd expect to see a difference in how it cornerers.

Also doubt the Golf GTE will manage much more than 40mpg on a petrol engine while being 100kg or more heavier than a GTI.

• Like 4

Its not always about money though is it , I'd rather drive a small petrol engine than a heavily polluting diesel?

The only thing I have real trouble with is compromising on equipment levels , I want my toys and comfort and hybrids offer that and diesel like economy ie 50mpg+ , certainly not the cheap option but if the option is there then should be considered imo

On shorter trips diesels aren't great either , real world figures rarely live up to the manufacturers data, our Superb will deliver mid 50's mpg on long trips however on the daily commute it struggles to top 40mpg especially in the winter

Thats why our Superb is being replaced with a Prius, unlikely to save a great deal of money but will be less polluting and more pleasant than a diesel

Its not always about money though is it , I'd rather drive a small petrol engine than a heavily polluting diesel?

The only thing I have real trouble with is compromising on equipment levels , I want my toys and comfort and hybrids offer that and diesel like economy ie 50mpg+ , certainly not the cheap option but if the option is there then should be considered imo

If you want a hybrid because you like the technology and the drive style then that's fair enough.

I wear mechanical watches, they're more expensive, heavier, less accurate and less reliable than quartz but I like 'em more.

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 1

On shorter trips diesels aren't great either , real world figures rarely live up to the manufacturers data, our Superb will deliver mid 50's mpg on long trips however on the daily commute it struggles to top 40mpg especially in the winter

Thats why our Superb is being replaced with a Prius, unlikely to save a great deal of money but will be less polluting and more pleasant than a diesel

I am not too fussed if I drive a diesel or a petrol, the GTE is appealing to me from a BIK point of view, a mere 5% as for diesels being the nasty polluting beast you portray, I can only say take a look at the tail pipes of a modern diesel compared to a petrol car.

I know the GTE will never do more than 40mpg but then any diesel VAG car I have had has only done similar, 40-44mpg, I also know it will be heavier than a GTD/GTI but when you consider fuel is paid for in any of the cars I would choose the only thing I am considering is the cost to me,

Golf R = £460 ish per month in tax

Golf GTD = £280 ish per month in tax

Golf GTE = £90 per month in tax  

Quite a saving and a decent enough car, compared to a prius 

Could a Nissan Leaf work for you James? None of this hybrid nonsence! I find 60 miles is doable even at motorway speed in winter with the heating on.

You'd need the 6.6kw charge option and a fast charger at work though to get charged up for the drive home again. You can get a grant for a fast charger at home and in some circumstances at work aswell.

Could a Nissan Leaf work for you James? None of this hybrid nonsence. I find 60 miles is doable even at motorway speed in winter with the heating on.

You'd need a charger at work though to get charged up for the drive home again. You can get a grant for a charger at home and in some circumstances at work aswell.

Joe, my commute is 60 miles each way across the M62, I did look at the Nissan but I think it is too limiting should I need to go further than 60 miles, I went to Crawley last week, there and back in a day, the Nissan would not do that.

Joe, my commute is 60 miles each way across the M62, I did look at the Nissan but I think it is too limiting should I need to go further than 60 miles, I went to Crawley last week, there and back in a day, the Nissan would not do that.

That's true. You would be limited to going to work or home, nothing more.

I would have to charge the thing three times just to get to Castle Combe from my house, then three times to get back!  I would have to book a four day break for a trip to Chippenham  :D   

Nissan is off the list Joe 

I can only say take a look at the tail pipes of a modern diesel compared to a petrol car.

What exactly is that going to tell me ? Can't see nano particles or NOx emissions. It's not an opinion that diesel represent a significant risk to health , it's simply a fact

But as long as the tax is cheaper

Tesla model S?!

£50,000.  I am not sure I can stretch to that mate, Tesla won't happen.

There is still time for it to be a Golf GTD, who knows, a test drive is needed.   It is a pity Skoda have nothing to offer that I like the look of, they ruined the Yeti and I am not too struck on the Octavia..     

This might not be the case. Your small petrol engine could in fact be worse for the environment than the stereotypical "heavily polluting diesel"?

http://www.transportenvironment.org/press/new-petrol-engines-cause-more-air-pollution-dirty-diesels

• Like 1

What exactly is that going to tell me ? Can't see nano particles or NOx emissions. It's not an opinion that diesel represent a significant risk to health , it's simply a fact

But as long as the tax is cheaper

Any vehicle burning a fossil fuel will produce noxious gas and nasties, a small diesel car is no threat compared to a bus or truck.  Tailpipes of a diesel car are spotlessly clean, petrol cars have black sooty pipes, therefore particulates must be present from a petrol car.

As you say, as long as the tax is cheap then it is ok for me as I can divert my savings to running my 2.8 V6 track car and the 330d BMW I use to tow the track car to the track.