230 Bhp Vrs

Totally agree, £28k for 345bhp & 350flbt, 4wd, 5 door hatch is going to make for a very rapid machine and knowing Ford it'll be a hoot to drive. Not only is it bloody cheap compared to say a Golf R, it's also nearly as cheap as a VRS, has VAG lost it's way somehow in terms of pricing?

I would though still take a VRS R (IF ever they made one - very unlikely) with 300ps over the RS any day of the week, largely because of the endless issues I had with all the Ford's I owned and looking at the reliability stats, they haven't got much better. I also much prefer the build quality of the VAG stuff too.

Some fair points. Interesting what you say re the reliability though. Personally I've had many Fords and literally never suffered a breakdown or major failure. The only thing that's failed on my current Ford Fiesta has been an engine sensor and that's in 60,000+ miles otherwise it's just been servicing and tyres. My other Fiestas and Focus have actually been 100% reliable over many many hard miles. I've actually had far more issues with my vag cars. The Fords don't have the best interiors and the dealers suck but this is more than made up for by the quality of the drive itself. Personally I believe they have the best fwd chassis's in each segment. The only other downside I'd mention is that the later RS models look a little....chavvy. However, I had the 'pleasure' of being up close and personal to the new Civic Type R last weekend and I can honestly say I think the new mk3 RS is more subtle! In terms of pricing I think vag lost their way sometime ago. To me, the best models were the Octy mk1 VRS/4x4 (I loved mine!) and Fabia mk1 VRS - these offered amazing value imo. The mk3 Octy and mk3 fabia are overpriced and I'm personally not fully convinced of the quality of the MQB platform cars yet.

Some fair points. Interesting what you say re the reliability though. Personally I've had many Fords and literally never suffered a breakdown or major failure. The only thing that's failed on my current Ford Fiesta has been an engine sensor and that's in 60,000+ miles otherwise it's just been servicing and tyres. My other Fiestas and Focus have actually been 100% reliable over many many hard miles. I've actually had far more issues with my vag cars. The Fords don't have the best interiors and the dealers suck but this is more than made up for by the quality of the drive itself. Personally I believe they have the best fwd chassis's in each segment. The only other downside I'd mention is that the later RS models look a little....chavvy. However, I had the 'pleasure' of being up close and personal to the new Civic Type R last weekend and I can honestly say I think the new mk3 RS is more subtle! In terms of pricing I think vag lost their way sometime ago. To me, the best models were the Octy mk1 VRS/4x4 (I loved mine!) and Fabia mk1 VRS - these offered amazing value imo. The mk3 Octy and mk3 fabia are overpriced and I'm personally not fully convinced of the quality of the MQB platform cars yet.

I wasn't as lucky with either my Galaxy nor Mondeo although friends have had far better luck than me with their Mondeos which have been totally reliable. Pot luck in the modern car world I guess. Ford dealer network may suck and I can give you plenty of examples where they have although I have to say some of the Skoda dealers think the sun shines out of their arse and they owe you nothing! Ford do make some seriously good fwd chassis's so I'm sure the new RS will be mega.

As for Chavvy, yes re the last RS and definitely re the new Honda R.

I have though been very lucky with my mk3 Octy, 43k miles and totally happy, not missed a beat and feels as if it will go on forever although there are many not in the same boat as me! Having 330bhp+ does help put a smile on my face every so often and all I need now is a decent LSD at a reasonable price and that will wrap the package up nicely, although I couldn't sell if I wanted to anyway as my car is now only worth the cost of a packet of crisps with the typical ****e depreciation hitting the mk3.

Now there could be a fly in the ointment with a range of improvements in the 2017 Octavia coming up, no one seems to know what they are yet though, apart from some lighting alterations, but I can't see Skoda wanting to leaving improved engines/transmission out or handling either.

I guess we shall have to wait and see.

My vRS's PCP comes to an end in November next year so I guess by the time I get to place my order, we'll be dealing with the 2017 Octavia! 

Got a couple of questions if anyone can answer as trawling the internet brings no answers.

What does the VRS 230 decal look like. Even on the hidden PDF on the Skoda website (found through here) there are no decals, the literature even says in each photo that they're not showing.

Secondly, the mirrors. If you spec those electric mirrors on a 220 they are auto dimming as well, are they auto dimming on the VRS230?

Hoping to collect mine in the next week or so!

Got a couple of questions if anyone can answer as trawling the internet brings no answers.

What does the VRS 230 decal look like. Even on the hidden PDF on the Skoda website (found through here) there are no decals, the literature even says in each photo that they're not showing.

Secondly, the mirrors. If you spec those electric mirrors on a 220 they are auto dimming as well, are they auto dimming on the VRS230?

Like I said earlier, there are no decals. And yes they are auto dimming. Those Pirelli tires which comes standard are ****, worst tire ever.

Thanks for the reply, sorry I've not read the whole thread. Kind of happy about the lack of decals and very happy about the mirrors.

Weirdly been told the 230 doesn't come with roof rails. We'll see as it supposedly comes in Tuesday.

Edited by MINIMadDamo

Sat in dealership now !

1 X Rs 230 ordered and being delivered in about 2 weeks !

that's a very short lead time.  did you buy a car they already had in the pipeline?  can't see how you'd get a factory order turned around in 2 weeks..

Octavia%20vRS%20230%20Estate_63576889926

Available in Black or Red - dealer needs to order for you

Well I'm a bit miffed at Skoda Finance, had a normal 220 VRS on order only for them to tell me car is more like early December now instead of mid October.

So on Sunday managed to find a different dealer who had a 230 VRS arriving today available so paid a deposit. Only for the dealer to call me back today to say the 0% finance deal he'd processed through for me was not being honoured by VW finance at that if I wanted it, it would be 8.9%! He of course expected me to cancel which I did. This is despite a credit search against my name to agree the deal!

Thankfully my original dealer have been great and my order with them is still on. They said they that Skoda finance had told them 0% wasn't available, but this dealership had been told it was. So I'm not the only customer losing out today for those told wrong. Thankfully x2 my dealer are stepping up and loaning me a car in October for my holidays that I needed the bigger car for.

The VRS 230 is nice but not nice enough to take 8.9% over 0%, for my situation it would equate to spending an extra £6,000 for the car. I can afford it but justifying it is another matter!

So anyone buying outright gets a bargain with a VRS230, but not on finance. Then again I suppose the 0% ends end of September anyway.

The info on these cars from Skoda UK is shocking even to th dealers

Edited by MINIMadDamo
  • Like 1

The VRS 230 is nice but not nice enough to take 8.9% over 0%,

Exactly the same reason I walked away from a 230 order - it is an expensive car as is before loading on great amounts of interest.  Day to day use the 220 will be more than capable.

Wait until 1 October when Skoda UK may change their mind and include it on a zero deal.

• Like 1

Starts at just over 20k here saving £5.5khttp://www.new-car-discount.com/car/skoda/octavia-hatchback/hatchback/petrol/manual/2.0-tsi-vrs-230-5dr/15/

Why do people still go into dealers for their cars? It's a no brainer to use a broker.

Not sure i would buy from them.... I could be wrong but from reading the info i think they are one of those companies who pre register the car to themselves for the fist 4 or 5 months and only after this period do they re register the car to you,

I looked at a similar broker for my cupra but ended up going to DTD as they don't do pre registering which is in my view a little dodgy.

IGNORE ALL THE ABOVE - SAYS FIRST REGISTRATION!!!!!!

Edited by Brettreading

Not sure i would buy from them.... I could be wrong but from reading the info i think they are one of those companies who pre register the car to themselves for the fist 4 or 5 months and only after this period do they re register the car to you,

I looked at a similar broker for my cupra but ended up going to DTD as they don't do pre registering which is in my view a little dodgy.

Have you used this company at all?

I have and have had no problems with them what so ever. As have most of my friends who were impressed with them.

I put the information up to help get people money off. Of you have no experience of them why comment? This company above do not do pre reg cars. I have been the first keeper on the several cars I have bought from them. Thanks

Have you used this company at all?

I have and have had no problems with them what so ever. As have most of my friends who were impressed with them.

I put the information up to help get people money off. Of you have no experience of them why comment? This company above do not do pre reg cars. I have been the first keeper on the several cars I have bought from them. Thanks

No I haven't and have just corrected my post as the ad clearly say fist registration. Apologies

• Like 1