insurance help?:)

so i bought an 07 VRS today, lovely car! 

Done a couple of insurance quotes and best i got was elephant who want £2200 fully comp, im 18 with 1 years ncb.

is this quote any good or can any people recommend some other places? 

Glad to be a part of the forum and a vrs owner!

Liam.

• Like 1

At a younger age insurance is a pain, we all know as we have been there. some places do 10 month policies which can be good, you pay for 10 months and at the end get a one NCD, so can work out for the bets for getting those policies down quicker in the future. 

When i got my vrs at 18 i had 1 years no claims and only pay 870, paying in full makes it cheaper and go compare is always worth a try, or try admiral or elephant, diamond directly, my renewal is in may so hopefully i'll have 2 years no claims and will go down even more!

Hi mate, bought my vrs a week ago (I'm 20), and was getting quotes for around £1k / year, at your age... I'd strongly consider contacting bell insurance (part of the admiral group) and ask about their 'plug and drive' - it's basically a black box with no restrictions, just monitors your driving,

You keep it on for 3 months, (I've got this and they dropped my insurance to 600 quid) then after the 3 months I send it back; if I've been driving like a nutter... Nothing happens, I continue to pay the 600, however if I'm on the top 55% of drivers on this scheme, however, I get a further discount!

(You also get an extra 1years NCB after 10 months). Bit of a pain having to watch your driving for 3 months but tbh I've been hounding it some days and they just email you with suggestions on how to improve your driving!

Hope you find something soon!

• Like 1

my first car was pug 1.1 207 for 1 year, insurance cheap  like £600

- Know got 1 years ncb, then buy a fast car that young drivers dont drive, I bought a Alfa Romeo 145, was quick enough 0-60 8.5, but wasnt a car that was popular, compared to the GTI's and the corsa gsi with go faster table spoilers and TWS blades :P . I think for some reason it was insured in classic insurance, it was more than the pug, but not much, £700 a year. I had it for 6 years ... and was £285 a year at the. As the years have gone by ive said a few time to insurance company why do other pay so high, ive been told it goes lower in future years if you have previously driven a performance car .. i said the alfa? yes lol ... so maybe something to bear in mind ?

• Like 1

Yeah many moons ago at 17 my first car was a mk2 fiesta XR2. Insurance on that was crazy. £1100 TPFT. Unfortunately it's one of the downsides of being young and a new driver. What I did at the time was insured the car under my grandfathers name and address with me as a named driver commuting to a place of work (I lived in London and grandparents live in the middle of nowhere lol) and the insurance dropped to £288. Unfortunately I don't think your allowed to do that now but you will find by the time you hit 25 insurance tends to drop considerably. Until then it's more about researching car insurance groups and buying cars with insurance in mind rather than buying with your heart, unless you can afford to pay the premiums. It's easy to run a few insurance quotes online before you purchase the car to test what insurance will come out like. Better than buying a car to find you can't afford the insurance.

Edited by Mikek3111

Hi

Try researching this guy for useful tips martin lewis

A guy your age driving that car will struggle tho. Cos insurance see you in the bracket to most likely have a crash

My first year driving (17) in a Y reg 206 1.1 petrol cost me... Wait for it...... £3400 first year no claims brought it down 60%.

I bought the Vrs and tried switching insurance over, but LV wouldn't insure me on it till I was 23 (I'm still 21). So I am now insured by Sainsbury's fully comp, parked on a street at night, for ~£800. That is with three years no claims.

Have a check at fully comp insurance policies as they are sometimes (not exactly logically but non the less) cheaper surprisingly.

The black box system does seem to give the biggest discounts. Hornsey94's insurer seems very reasonable.

Ps: next time you're looking at buying a car, check the insurance prices first!

JRJG

My first year driving (17) in a Y reg 206 1.1 petrol cost me... Wait for it...... £3400 first year no claims brought it down 60%.

I bought the Vrs and tried switching insurance over, but LV wouldn't insure me on it till I was 23 (I'm still 21). So I am now insured by Sainsbury's fully comp, parked on a street at night, for ~£800. That is with three years no claims.

Have a check at fully comp insurance policies as they are sometimes (not exactly logically but non the less) cheaper surprisingly.

The black box system does seem to give the biggest discounts. Hornsey94's insurer seems very reasonable.

Ps: next time you're looking at buying a car, check the insurance prices first!

JRJG

£3,400???? Probably worth more than the car. Hope you didn't pay that?

When I was around 22 a friend was going through some financial issues (divorce etc) and offered me his Sierra Sapphire Cosworth cheap (around 5k) I phoned loads of insurers to get a quote (before I bought the car) cheapest I could find was a classic car insurance for £9,000

You think that the cost of a painted door mirror for an expensive car must cost a few hundred quid these days! I think insurance is actually quite cheap really even if I do complain on renewal! If you throw in the cost of a personal injury claim and the way you see people drive. I've been with admiral for 10 years golf cabs and now fabia estate 1.9tdi. Seems to be dropping in price insurance wise and paying 190. Prefer my land rover full comp classic car 11seats and now £107 Inc European breakdown and recovery.

When my mrs passed her test she was getting massive quotes on her Fiar Scicento Abarth in excess of £1000 for a little 1.1, i told her to add me as named 2nd drive (been driving about 15years at that point as i passed at 17) and it dropped her insurance to about £600 straight away.  Slap some older people with clean licences and NCB's on your insurance.

• Like 1

£3,400???? Probably worth more than the car. Hope you didn't pay that?

When I was around 22 a friend was going through some financial issues (divorce etc) and offered me his Sierra Sapphire Cosworth cheap (around 5k) I phoned loads of insurers to get a quote (before I bought the car) cheapest I could find was a classic car insurance for £9,000

I'd already bought the more and had the money, so yes, I paid it. Looking back I should of checked the insurance again before handing the money over for the car. However I had bought the car when the insurance would of been £1900. About four months later when I passed my test... It was £3400

JRJG

• Like 1

Back in the mid 90s my best friend was on his dads scrap yard traders policy, he got a massive loan and bought a sierra saphire cosworth at 17 that was crazy back then 200bhp and 150 mph even Avon and Somerset police had cosworths at that time as it was the joyriders favorite car ,and yes we got pulled over all the time when we went to Weston Super Mare cruise those were the days i can still smell the burn out smoke .

Edited by willy0329
  • Like 1

Hi mate, bought my vrs a week ago (I'm 20), and was getting quotes for around £1k / year, at your age... I'd strongly consider contacting bell insurance (part of the admiral group) and ask about their 'plug and drive' - it's basically a black box with no restrictions, just monitors your driving,

You keep it on for 3 months, (I've got this and they dropped my insurance to 600 quid) then after the 3 months I send it back; if I've been driving like a nutter... Nothing happens, I continue to pay the 600, however if I'm on the top 55% of drivers on this scheme, however, I get a further discount!

(You also get an extra 1years NCB after 10 months). Bit of a pain having to watch your driving for 3 months but tbh I've been hounding it some days and they just email you with suggestions on how to improve your driving!

Hope you find something soon!

How do you find them mate? I'm coming up to the end of my 3 months in the next few weeks... I get a different rating every week... always bronze, silver, bronze, silver etc etc.. always telling to watch my braking or look at what time I'm driving... cars parked up every night at 7pm and won't move until work at 12pm..

Not got much hope of getting any money back :/

Unfortunately due to your age and lack of driving experience you're going to get stung.

Read through this... http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/

Plenty of tips on there on how to tweak your details to get a better deal, adding an older driver such as a parent for example can often lower your premium even if they won't use the car. 

I'd also contact some insurers who aren't part of search comparison websites, there are plenty out there such as Adrian Flux, Direct Line, Bell, Green Light etc. 

I'm not a fan of the black box systems and I wouldn't want one on my car but each to their own. 

Unfortunately due to your age and lack of driving experience you're going to get stung.

Read through this... http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/

Plenty of tips on there on how to tweak your details to get a better deal, adding an older driver such as a parent for example can often lower your premium even if they won't use the car.

I'd also contact some insurers who aren't part of search comparison websites, there are plenty out there such as Adrian Flux, Direct Line, Bell, Green Light etc.

I'm not a fan of the black box systems and I wouldn't want one on my car but each to their own.

Weirdly it's not always better to put older people, such as parents on, to add my dad with maxed no claims it was going to cost me only a £1 less a month. Yet to add my partner with only 1 year no claims and a crash to declare was about £10 less a month. Also the date remarkably makes a difference. I saved £150 over the year because I renewed my insurance on a Sunday as opposed to the Friday before.

Insurance works in mysterious ways. [emoji25]

Won't work for everyone but it's a good place to start. I know when I was younger it knocked a few hundred quid off my premium by adding my mum on there, despite her not driving or owning a car of her own! That website also has a few other tips and tricks on so it's worth a read. 

Sadly the government made it a requirement in law to have car insurance yet they didn't set up a governing body to oversee these private companies and how they run.