Carista OBD2 - A cheaper alternative to (some of) VCDS

Because you would be buying a counterfeit product using an out-of-date version of VCDS which has been hacked to work with the supplied interface.

That might be. But it works better than the other solution mentioned.

I´m on my third "non-Rosstech-forbidden-in-UK" cable now, and it works like a charm. No, it´s not the newest version, but neither is my car (2011 Superb), so who cares?

• Like 1

That might be. But it works better than the other solution mentioned.

I´m on my third "non-Rosstech-forbidden-in-UK" cable now, and it works like a charm. No, it´s not the newest version, but neither is my car (2011 Superb), so who cares?

After all what's wrong with giving money to people who have stolen someone elses work and use it generate profit for themselves...

Ross Tech have no support from VAG (in fact pretty much the opposite) and have had to resort to buying cars in order to develop the software

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

After all what's wrong with giving money to people who have stolen someone elses work and use it generate profit for themselves...

Ross Tech have no support from VAG (in fact pretty much the opposite) and have had to resort to buying cars in order to develop the software

I know. But £300 is to expensive for such a thing, when I´m only using it for my own cars. If I were doing coding for others, had a garage etc. I would gladly pay for the "real thing" and get the support.

• Like 1

I know. But £300 is to expensive for such a thing, when I´m only using it for my own cars. If I were doing coding for others, had a garage etc. I would gladly pay for the "real thing" and get the support.

No really, mine has more than paid for itself just on my own cars, even more so when I include other family members.

No really, mine has more than paid for itself just on my own cars, even more so when I include other family members.

That´s how you look at it. I´m happy with my copy.

• Like 1

http://www.stopfakes.dk/consumer/consumer-guide/what-is-illegal-in-denmark.aspx

I see from the above that it is not illegal in Denmark to buy counterfeit goods for ones own personal use unless it involves copies of DVDs you do not own. That is rather convenient for the Danish TV industry which wouldn't wish to lose revenue from its Nordic noir series, eg The Killing, The Bridge, Borgen, and The Legacy due to video piracy, while ignoring the intellectual property rights of others including Ross-Tech in the USA. If everyone bought pirated copies then the original products would cease to exist.

P.S. I love Nordic noir and pay the full price for original box sets of DVDs.

• Like 1

Pirate hardware, software etc is operated by the same organisations controlling drugs, human trafficking etc. Its easy to explain these things away as harmless, the truth is, they are far from it.

And yes, Im speaking from experience.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to be offered the beta version on test from carista, all works as they say it does, but I still won't be buying it as for me everything is all ready set how I wanted it ( coming home lights, full closure, etc ) so it only becomes a code reader, and I all ready have dash command for that ( which is cheaper and shows live data )

Permanently live in believe.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Cheers. I won't keep it plugged in then, as it's creating its own little wifi hotspot.

Haven't been able to use Carista yet - need 1.8GB free on my iPhone to upgrade to latest iOS. 1.8GB?!? What a pain...

Looking into getting one of these set ups now.

Some of the units have an auto shut off after half an hour which might be useful?

Not sure what you mean Jake?... I find it easy to use, give me a bit more detail buddy...

Carista is telling me that certain options are enabled, when they are not.

For example, when I load up Carista, it says:

Auto-lock doors when moving

YES / *NO*

(But I already set-up to lock thru maxidot)

Allow configuring beep when locking/unlocking

*YES* / NO

(But I have it off)

Beep when locking with remote

*YES* / NO

(It's off)

Beep when unlocking with remote

*YES* / NO

(Off)

Coming-home lights

*ENABLED* / DISABLED

(Disabled)

Leaving-home lights (req. auto headlights)

*ENABLED* / DISABLED

(Disabled)

Coming-home lights mode

MANUAL: FLASH HIGH BEAMS TO ACTIVATE / *AUTOMATIC: WHEN IT'S DARK (REQ. AUTO HEADLIGHTS)*

(Manual)

So there are some inconsistencies with how I have actually got the car set-up vs how Carista is telling me the car is set-up.

Edited by JakeBlade

Mm mm interesting, mine was set how it said, any changes I made were also then correct.

So I wonder if it's anything to do with maxidot, as I only have a mid-line display I can't change anything without Carista / VCDS etc.

I noticed the same on mine too, a lot of options that were already set as I wanted via Maxidot were set the opposite according to Carista.

I just left them well alone and everything was the same as before I plugged it in.

• 2 months later...

I plugged in the Bluetooth receiver into the port above the drivers feet.

Turned on the ignition which powered up the adaptor.

Connected to it with my phone.

Entered the App and made the required changes which happen instantly. Then turn off the ignition when done.

Carista is telling me that certain options are enabled, when they are not.

For example, when I load up Carista, it says:

Auto-lock doors when moving

YES / *NO*

(But I already set-up to lock thru maxidot)

Allow configuring beep when locking/unlocking

*YES* / NO

(But I have it off)

Beep when locking with remote

*YES* / NO

(It's off)

Beep when unlocking with remote

*YES* / NO

(Off)

Coming-home lights

*ENABLED* / DISABLED

(Disabled)

Leaving-home lights (req. auto headlights)

*ENABLED* / DISABLED

(Disabled)

Coming-home lights mode

MANUAL: FLASH HIGH BEAMS TO ACTIVATE / *AUTOMATIC: WHEN IT'S DARK (REQ. AUTO HEADLIGHTS)*

(Manual)

So there are some inconsistencies with how I have actually got the car set-up vs how Carista is telling me the car is set-up.

I noticed the same on mine too, a lot of options that were already set as I wanted via Maxidot were set the opposite according to Carista.

I just left them well alone and everything was the same as before I plugged it in.

That seems correct because the way I see it is that Carista is showing the DEFAULT values of those options and not what you have set them to via maxidot. I'm sure when your car rolled out of the factory those options were all set to what Carista shows those options to be and not to what either you or the dealer changed them to via the maxidot.

Don't forget that this app is meant primarily for people who cannot change these settings themselves as their cars don't have maxidot therefore their cars will still have them set as the default.

Hi, there does seem to be a lot of these being sold, some with feedback i.e. not working. Where have most of you guys bought your working ones from?

Thanks

John

Over the last year I've bought 2 of these, one that looked identical to the one shown, which was dead on arrival while the other connects once for a minute or so, then drops the connection completely until it's plugged in again. The return postage cost from Ireland was more than I paid for either of them, but I'd rather not be burned a 3rd time... I'd like to use it to get real time data to display using Torque on Android, have you tried running it continuously to get boost pressure, throttle position etc.?