Thoughts on tyres

I've had Ecsta KU31.  There was nothing special about them & they became very noisy below 4mm.  Skatey too.

Toyo T1R.  I had them a long time back - not sure if it's still the same tyre.  They were unpredictable.

RS3's take some beating value for money wise

Very grippy and decent noise level, but as said the sidewalls are quite soft.

I used to run higher pressure to compensate.

Also, there is virtually no protection for the alloy face, so if your alloys poke out a bit, could be easily kerbed.

I really did rate them though, and as I said one of the best value for money tyres around atm.

I'd pay a bit more and get eagle f1's myself, just for the extra protection over the RS3's next time.

Nankang NS's aren't bad for the money either 

What about Vredstein Sessanta's? Had a set on my 2007 vRS and thought they were good, though it is true that any new tyre fitted is always going to be better than the worn out 'slick' that it's replacing, particularly in the wet!

I will be going back to vred sessantas after trying out the goodyear F1's on the front.

I had the vreds on when i bought the car back in Jan14, and they lasted around 18k, very good in wet, TC never came on.

The f1's by comparison, have about 2-3mm of tread to the blocks, and have done just over 10k.

However, the TC comes on quite often, I don't have a heavy right foot either.

I also have not seen any improvement in fuel consumption or noise with the f1's, thought the ratings suggest they were more efficient and quieter.

The f1's on the back have done 16k and wearing well as you would expect, 

Goodyear Efficient Grip  :thumbup: 

Very good in the wet as some stupid bird (feathered) found out to its benefit yesterday.

What about Vredstein Sessanta's? Had a set on my 2007 vRS and thought they were good, though it is true that any new tyre fitted is always going to be better than the worn out 'slick' that it's replacing, particularly in the wet!

I have these, I'll be lucky to get 10 k out the front but find that with any tyres on any of my cars I've owned.

id say the F1's are better marginally in the wet, but you wont notice the difference in the dry.

for £75 a corner its a cracking tyre.

lets be honest, if you buy a decent tyre from one of the big tyre companies you cant go wrong.

Uniroyal rainsport 3 just fitted to mine, £61 each delivered from camskill, fitted and balanced at local tyre centre £9 per tyre, £140 all in for the front.

Just replaced all 4 worn out Goodyear f1 assy 2s on my vrs with...

Another set of Goodyear f1 assay 2s...

I like them !

93.99 a corner,you can't go wrong, I got just over 22k out the fronts, don't ask about how many miles I got out the rear set...its a sore subject !

Edited by studmuffin
  • Like 1

Hi peeps- I'm new.  

Goodyear F1 assy 2's are my favourite. On our mk5 gti - great in the summer, really grip. No good below 7`c though.

Conti sport contact 5 on our Octy vrs more of an all rounder- pukka tyre.

Both have really good rim protection- worth a mention.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It seems its all down to personal preference!

I'm currently running Rainsport 3's and I think I'll be lucky to get 12k out of them so thinking of swapping to something else very soon but saying that, they are very competitive pricewise.

Don't rule out Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's, had two sets of them on my S Line Audi A4 Avant 2.5 TDi. Lasted 22 months a set whereas the other big name brands only lasted 12 months.

Don't rule out Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's, had two sets of them on my S Line Audi A4 Avant 2.5 TDi. Lasted 22 months a set whereas the other big name brands only lasted 12 months.

Just fitted these to SWMBO'S Astra. Very good tyres in the wet and dry. Also quiet

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Just replaced all 4 worn out Goodyear f1 assy 2s on my vrs with...

Another set of Goodyear f1 assay 2s...

I like them !

93.99 a corner,you can't go wrong, I got just over 22k out the fronts, don't ask about how many miles I got out the rear set...its a sore subject !

++++1!

Great grip, great in the wet, great wear rate - what's not to like?

Tried Nankings on the wife's Fabia, horrendous road noise. She has had Kuhmo KU31's and Toyo TR1's too.

Had Hankook S1 Evo 2's, very good but not the same grip and they wear twice as fast as the Goodyears.

Considering they are not that much more than Toyo/Hankook/Kuhmo etc they are a no brainer as they are better and last twice as long.

Edited by JezF1000

Not as good as Eagle F1's though. I had several sets of these on my Volvo 850R.

ps. S1 Evo 2's are better than V12 Evo's

Edited by JezF1000

I was looking at getting a pair of Uniroyal RS3 but I've heard they wear pretty quickly, Brother-in-Law has them on a stage 3 Focus St so might see how long they last on that! There is an offer on at Camskill at the minute where you get a free hotel stay if you buy a pair of Continental tyres, might be worth the extra £10/15 over something else.