Sunset Glass option useful for kids in back ?

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question, I am contemplating 'Sunset Glass' opton on my Octy Can anyone who has this feature tell me does it make any difference to the sun glare in the rear and does it do away with the need for sun-shades for kids in the back.  

(I'm basing the sun-glare strength on the Irish/UK summers  :notme:

As above really, it's makes for a slightly more comfortable experience for the rear passengers in bright sun (if we're lucky) but I think the benefits are probably more aesthetic.

• Like 1

Quite useful IMHO, especially on long trips. My kids really appreciated it in the last 2 Skodas we bought. Also, at least on older Skodas the "Sunset Glass" option made the car quieter at speed, as the non-darkened glass had fewer laminate layers. Might not be the case now, though.

• Like 1

Its also good "security" with kids comes items usually left on the back seat. People see them and go, I'll have that. Slightly darkened windows makes it less obvious to those walking by.

• Like 2

How much is the option?

A good aftermarket tint can be done for ~200-250. You can choose your shade then too. In my experience factory tints aren't QUITE dark enough for security or effective light-blocking.

• Like 1

How much is the option?

A good aftermarket tint can be done for ~200-250. You can choose your shade then too. In my experience factory tints aren't QUITE dark enough for security or effective light-blocking.

€300 extra. .  Thanks for the info....

Factory "Sunset Glass" is comparable price, and likely much more durable, as it is different glass, with colour locked inside one of the laminate layers, as opposed to plastic foil stuck to the inside of the window. 

• Like 1

If it's the factory option then IMHO it's a very subtle tint. I have it on my estate it doesbt really offer much security. I think the tint differs a lot when compared to the black series tint.

• Like 1

Factory sunset is very subtle - so subtle I didn't notice they'd missed a window on my car: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/341736-first-problem-sunset/

As mentioned above I like the fact it is part of the glass, you could always tint it a bit more after if it isn't dark enough, which it won't be if you are after it for security.

Edited by philwoodphoto
  • Like 1

Factory sunset is very subtle - so subtle I didn't notice they'd missed a window on my car: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/341736-first-problem-sunset/

As mentioned above I like the fact it is part of the glass, you could always tint it a bit more after if it isn't dark enough, which it won't be if you are after it for security.

I would not be adding the Sunset Glass as a security feature, it would be more for the kids in the back with the sun/glare/UV while travelling, I just don't like the idea of sun-shades.

Listening to you guys though it seems the Sunset factory install will not offer this protection for the back seat passengers.

How old are your kids? A pair of decent sunglasses is far cheaper! My son usually travels in the front as it helps his travel sickness, tints are no help for him.

I have a 7 month old and a 9 year old.  Not sure SWMBO will swop her front seat privilege.  :notme:

Sunset is on my estate, and for me it's enough to slightly shield the interior from the nosy, but not cause issues when reversing at night. I know others with factory tints on Fords, that say they are too dark for night time. Think Skoda got it just right. But each person is different.

• Like 1

Particulary with the low (but bright) sun in winter time, and the possibility of longer journeys in the summer which are in the same general direction so one side of the car is permanently in the sunshine, I am kicking myself for not getting it in ours. The wee man (18 months) hates sun in his eyes and won't entertain thoughts of glasses. Our girl could easily wear sunglasses, but that would make watching the DVD player more tricky.

Stick on blinds have a habit of 

- not covering the tricky bit you want

- falling off

- getting snagged up in the door when you forget they are on and you try lowering the window.

• Like 1

Sunset glass is advertised as giving protection from sun and UV rays. I much prefer it to removable sunshades and to aftermarket tints. Insurance isn't an issue and I can see when reversing and when looking through the rear side windows when pulling out at an angle into traffic.

• Like 1

I would not be adding the Sunset Glass as a security feature, it would be more for the kids in the back with the sun/glare/UV while travelling, I just don't like the idea of sun-shades.

Listening to you guys though it seems the Sunset factory install will not offer this protection for the back seat passengers.

If you don't spec the Sunset glass through Skoda talk to Phil at Tint It, based in Sandyford industrial estate. If you check out their facebook page you will see the quality of their work. Edited by llandai

How dark the glass is doesnt really matter for the grade of uv-protection as far as I know.

I have the Sunset Glass fitted to my Octy II Scout as standard and I find it quite effective.  I also have the Van Styles sunblinds fitted, apart from on the rear screen as, unlike the Skoda item, it comes in two parts and the 'join' is right where my rear view DVR is fitted.  One of the advantages of the blinds is you can have the window open, allowing fresh air in, and bugs and debris out.  Another advantage is if any of the windows with blinds gets damaged/broken, the blind limits the amount of glass into the passenger area.  I recently suffered a broken rear 'Sunset Glass' screen and the amount of glass that entered the cabin is unbelievable.  Nearly six weeks later and I am still finding bits of glass; under neath the rubber window trim, in the recesses of the back seat and so on.  Fortunately, I had dropped the dog off minutes before the incident.  As a consequence of this, I have now purchased and fitted the Skoda one piece rear sunblindand.

Another thing to think about if you go down the tints route, if it is as effective at keeping thieves out of your vehicle as some have stated, think of the consequences if you were in the unfortunate situation of being in an accident and you or passersby were trying to gain access to the rear via the window to get your children out. 

Agreed, a bit morbid and worst case scenario, but in the last two days alone, I have witnessed several RTCs; two on the M74, 2 on the M80 and 1 on the M8.

Fin

PS as a public service, I will post all my future routes on Briskoda so that fellow members can avoid the RTC's that I appear to attract!

How old are your kids? A pair of decent sunglasses is far cheaper! My son usually travels in the front as it helps his travel sickness, tints are no help for him.

I have two children, one which travels with no problems and the other that feels sick just pulling off the driveway. Tinted glass in rear is a big no for me (learnt the hard way!!). I can't put one in front and one in rear as it creates huge rows. So I have had to make sure last 2 cars have no tinted glass. Just makes the car sickness more manageable for me.