Alloy Wheel Center Caps corroding :(

Gave Bismark a bit of a scrub and that's when I noticed two out of four caps are showing signs of corrosion.

She's 15 months old, 12.5k on the clock.

Best be taking that up withe the dealer then...

Dealer will sort them. My boot emblem on my mk2 was changed for same issue

Just check the clear protective cover hasn't been left on. One on my last car was.

Dealer will sort them. My boot emblem on my mk2 was changed for same issue

Just check the clear protective cover hasn't been left on. One on my last car was.

The protective covers are blue, mine had all 4 left on as I asked the dealer not to touch the outside of the car.

I'm in the process of getting mine replaced by the dealer due to the same issue... one year old and 7500k but the wheels had only done 5500k on the car as u had my winters on. Not really that impressed

The centre caps all seem not to last much past 6 - 12 months, (mine didn't)

Inferior materials with longetivity very low on  the list..

Get some good replacements from E-Bay all at a reasonable price...check wheel centre size first.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the part that corrodes, you can see the corrosion even from the front of the wheel if you remove center cap. Not sure if this is normal or the trip to the dealer is due.

photo

• 1 month later...

One of mine is separating slightly from the plastic back, I'm going to wait until the end of the summer though. They have only been on the car for about 3 months and 4,000 miles, the winters have been on the rest of the time!

One of mine is separating slightly from the plastic back, I'm going to wait until the end of the summer though. They have only been on the car for about 3 months and 4,000 miles, the winters have been on the rest of the time!

Don't!  only warranty item for 6 months (see my thread above about external trim warranty...centre caps in my case too

Ah, an area of my expertise :-) I was European Sales Manager fir a badge company about ten years ago.

Badges are a composite of normally aluminium or ABS, depending on the type. The aluminium ones are screen printed then embossed before being coated with a PU coat, then cut out, and with the adhesive film, pressed into a plastic injected backplate, which then, for front and rear badges are adhered with a double sided Acrylic foam adhesive, or the injected cap pushes in. For the plastic ones are injected onto a film.

The problem is when you cut a PU, you leave a bare edge which, can allow moisture in to the screen or ingot which eventually degree ares from the Anodised aluminium. This was a problem both Ford and Rover suffered from. The better way was to cut the badge out he aluminium then spray coat the PU on, but much more expensive and time consuming and not cost effective.