Adaptive Cruise Control

I'm getting increasingly frustrated with adaptive cruise control (ACC). Whilst it works perfectly, it's lack of control over the distance to the car in front that frustrates, even the closest setting is so far away that other vehicles jump into the gap which in turn activates the 'Front Assist' braking!

I'm sure it's possible, but has anyone successfully used VCDS to change the distances on ACC and if so how?

Well, i accept that they can't produce a system that can be set to drive less than the minimum safe distance to the car in front.... I suspect it wouldn't be allowed by vosa amongst others

Snet with speeling mistkaes from my phoen

Are drivers over there really so aggressive they slip into the gap with ACC at its closest distance? :o I find the closest one so short I rarely ever use it. Even the two bars distance makes me kind of nervous.  :peek:

Besides, I don't feel ACC is suitable for defensive driving like that. I instead prefer to keep the gap near the maximum and just relax and let the people in a hurry overtake me if they want, it's not like it'll result in a much of time difference to my destination anyway...

And if I want to drive more aggressively, I prefer to be in control for myself.

Edited by kallekilponen
  • Like 4

Not sure I'd want to tinker with it via VCDS....it's a safety critical system and I don't think you'd have a leg to stand on should you find yourself in court having been involved in a serious accident...

Personally I'd agree with kallekilponen that the closest setting is too close anyway. I'm not sure that driving more aggressively yourself to prevent aggressive drivers from cutting in is the answer?

Are drivers over there really so aggressive they slip into the gap with ACC at its closest distance?

I wish it were not the case but drivers in the UK can be quite aggressive!

Anyway, irrespective of the safety implications, can you change the distances with VCDS??

I'm not aware of anyone having done so. Andyvee is probably the best one to ask as he knows more than most about these systems

Snet with speeling mistkaes from my phoen

Does it calculate the gap from distance or time to car in front? Like will the cap be smaller at low speed?

In my experience, the gap is smaller at lower speeds.

• 2 years later...

Possibly my nervous  disposition but I find the closest setting on ACC too close especially at 70mph on a motorway; this distance certainly breaks the 'two second rule'.  I think ACC works very well but I'm very reluctant to use it in heavy, high speed traffic as, hopefully, I can still judge hazardous situations better than a computer.

For anyone not familiar with the two second rule have a look at this  http://www.drivingtesttips.biz/2-second-rule.html

23 hours ago, tartan said:

Is this an optional extra that can be added to my Mk 3 Octavia with lane assist ?

No. It is a separate sensor that lives in the lower front grill on a pre facelift, or the main grill on a facelift. Same sensor that is used for front assist I believe.

I've tested this, the closest setting is about 1/3 car length less than the distance keeping marks on the English motorways. The second closest setting is ever-so-slightly longer than the markings.

Personally, I find the closes to be about right. People do slip in, but any closer I wouldn't feel comfortable using this setting.

The only thing you'd need to be careful is b***** slow accelerators. They pull into your small gap and force ACC to slam on the brakes. ACC has no problem with faster driver cutting across, it's those slow drivers that's the root of traffic jams! Same with those who pull out of side-roads. When I do it, I accelerate the balls off my car to match the speed and fit into the gap. The principle of the road is that the one giving-way should NEVER disturb the main road traffic flow.

Sorry, rant over.

Edited by wyx087
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Tried ACC recently on a 72 hour test drive, I liked it but, Mrs Bucket in the passenger seat nearly had kittens a few times so, I won't be ordering it. 

It's ace, love it on mine. Mrs won't use it when she drives. Driving just with normal cruise is somewhat hard work in comparison.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Coops said:

It's ace, love it on mine. Mrs won't use it when she drives. Driving just with normal cruise is somewhat hard work in comparison.

Same here, I use ACC at every opportunity and have the distance set to the middle setting (closest makes me nervous and furthest makes the car behind wonder why I'm leaving such a large gap so they tend to tailgate).

4 hours ago, Jono said:

Don't use the closest setting then.

I'm sure we can both judge hazards better than the computer, but I still wear a seatbelt.

I don't use the closest setting!