Dash Cam, Remap or VCDS?

Makefish

Dash Cam, Remap or VCDS?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What would you choose if you could have only ONE?

If you had the choice of only ONE, and assuming you don't currently own any of these, what would you choose and why?

I currently have this dilemma and can't make my mind up as to what's going to give me the best value and use!

Dashcam would be my choice as they can save you such a lot of agro if you have a no fault accident. The remap will increase your premium and some companies won't insure you and you can always find someone on Brisky with VCDS.

• Like 2

Remap, why? Because no one has ever remapped a Citigo before ;) but honestly speaking I would rather go for the Dashcam (but seeing as I already own one and yes I read the "assuming you don't own any" I would go for the map :x)

Dash cam.

How many near misses have you had in the last year.

Dash Cam might pay for itself, the others probably won't.

Dashcam. Could potentially save a huge amount of hassle and time. Increasingly becoming a must have item as opposed to a want due to poor driving standards and lack of enforcement

The others are realistically going to cost you more with no return (unless you use the VCDS on other peoples cars for beer tokens)

• Like 1

Dashcam - for my own attitude adjustment as well as to remind myself that increasing numbers of people have them.

After that it depends. When a decent dashcam costs £50-£75, VCDS lite around $99?!? You could do both for the price of a decent remap.

I have all three, getting the dashcam first a couple of years ago, the remap last year and VCDS last month. I'd do the same again, as the dashcam has the potential for the greatest savings (whether that's monetary or in aggro sorting out a claim). VCDS can at least be done by others for a bit of beer money, so I'd leave that one 'till last.

Maybe the 0806 at <£90 but they're plagued with issues atm.

I know, I bought one a month ago!! ..... it died and has been returned which is why I'm looking at something better and considerably more reliable such as the Blackvue DR3500 or DR600GW.

Dashcam, you'll use it every day. Close to remap though - more fun factor, when you get the right conditions. VCDS - lots of friendly peop's with them on here so prob last.

Just settled on mi-witness myself :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whoa! Ah... Unfortunate!

Despite being bitten by the 0806, have a read up on the 0805?

Really is no need to spend £150+ All you're paying for is a brand / good marketing. Another thread, someone else just commented along the lines of they'd spent ~£600 but could have had equal or better results from cheaper ones.

:hi: that would've been me :) I thought my cameras were enough until a near collision moment and not being able to pick out number plates, then looked at another members footage which is spot on from his Möbius. The RH2 I expected more from especially. Constantly needs formatting
  • Like 1

Personally my vote was dash cam as I have been using them for so many years now and don't turn a wheel without them. But in your shoes I would get both! Just get your remap and unleash the beast (being happy with the possible warranty drawbacks and insurance increase) then if it's purely budgetary, a cheaper more basic dash cam for quality of footage and less gadget factor. Mobius I am a strong advocate of still, but their price fluctuates with the exchange rate and was around £55 for a while, but £45.03 at the moment delivered (additional £1.75 ish for a screen mount of your choice and for a neat install a quid or 2 for a cheap 2.5meter-3meter usb cable). Below that in price the only one worth considering IMO based on quality of footage is the G1W at around the £30-£35 for a genuine one. As suggested above the mini 0805 has been reporting greater stability. 

Depending on insurer if you ask now, the addition of the camera may help with a premium increase of the remap and pay for itself, which is worth checking into. 

I wouldn't mind getting one but I know I will be put off by the installation :/

Dead easy to do, plenty of 'How to's" on here and other forums .... take a leap of faith and do it yourself and save a load of cash in the process!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...