Show Us Your Ride - Past & Present Bike Pics

FUBAR

Just posted in the Monte Carlo register after a few years away.. Glad to see a motorbike section on here too... Here's my ride.. 1340 cc Hayabusa, if anyone didn't know.. 10.3 s / 139.6 mph standing quarter mile and 188.7 mph in the mile at Woodbridge airfield...

post-11152-0-53359500-1457295741_thumb.jpeg

Edited by skomansteve

Just posted in the Monte Carlo register after a few years away.. Glad to see a motorbike section on here too... Here's my ride.. 1340 cc Hayabusa, if anyone didn't know.. 10.3 s / 139.6 mph standing quarter mile and 188.7 mph in the mile at Woodbridge airfield...

How are the brakes?

The brakes on my Mk 1 busa were a little... disappointing

I think you're right, the ones with carbs were the best model!

I think you're confusing the busa with the Naomi [1].

All busas were injected. Early Naomis had carbs, later ones were injected.

[1] super blackbird.

Adds to the thrill i've heard :D.

Is he mk1 the fastest one? Could be wrong, i thought they were restricted after that?

It's not quite that simple. The busa was available in 4 variants

Mk 1 unrestricted

Mk 1 restricted

Mk 2 restricted

Mk 2 restricted ABS

All the restricted bikes are limited to 186. The unrestricted Mk 1 would show about 205 on the speedo flat out.

However, all models have speedometers that over read by 10% or so. The restricted bikes won't show more than 186, whatever speed that are doing, the speedo simply stops getting faster.

Those with their calculators out may have spotted that if your speedo over reads by 10%, an indicated 205 is actually a true 186...

In effect the mk 1 was restricted to the bikes actual top speed, the restriction made no difference at all.

The mk 2 has an extra 20 bhp or so, so that one is "quickest", but with all of them - restricted or not - topping out at a genuine 186, they're all as fast as each other.

Edited by Gyp
  • Like 1

It's not quite that simple. The buffs was available in 4 variants

Mk 1 unrestricted

Mk 1 restricted

Mk 2 restricted

Mk 2 restricted ABS

All the restricted bikes are limited to 186. The unrestricted Mk 1 would show about 205 on the speedo flat out.

However, all models have speedometers that over read by 10% or so. The restricted bikes won't show more than 186, whatever speed that are doing, the speedo simply stops getting faster.

Those with their calculators out may have spotted that if your speedo over reads by 10%, an indicated 205 is actually a true 186...

In effect the mk 1 was restricted to the bikes actual top speed, the restriction made no difference at all.

The mk 2 has an extra 20 bhp or so, so that one is "quickest", but with all of them - restricted or not - topping out at a genuine 186, they're all as fast as each other.

Ah brill. Didnt know that!

Its enough to pop to the shops on whichever you have isnt it :D.

Wonder if a Power Commander gives it abit more n gets rid of the restriction?

Wonder if a Power Commander gives it abit more n gets rid of the restriction?

A power commander would probably give it more oomph, and there are other devices that overcome the restriction. The restrictor only works in top - 6th -  so the  derestrictors sit between the gearbox and the ecu and tell the ecu that the bike in in 1st, neutral, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th or 5th, never 6th.

I've got to say though that in all the time I had my restricted mk1, I never found myself wanting for more power.

If you get a chance to ride a Hayabusa, do. The engines are just wonderful, making progress totally effortless. They're actually at their most enjoyable when you're not going stupid with them. If the riding position wasn't so incompatible with my body shape and knackered neck I'd still have mine now. I'd really love a white mk 2 ABS. Just like  skomansteve's

• Like 1

A power commander would probably give it more oomph, and there are other devices that overcome the restriction. The restrictor only works in top - 6th -  so the  derestrictors sit between the gearbox and the ecu and tell the ecu that the bike in in 1st, neutral, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th or 5th, never 6th.

I've got to say though that in all the time I had my restricted mk1, I never found myself wanting for more power.

If you get a chance to ride a Hayabusa, do. The engines are just wonderful, making progress totally effortless. They're actually at their most enjoyable when you're not going stupid with them. If the riding position wasn't so incompatible with my body shape and knackered neck I'd still have mine now. I'd really love a white mk 2 ABS. Just like  skomansteve's

Ah okay. Its abit clever then. 

Yeah i appreciate that they're stupidly quick restricted or not, infact, i think id wuss out before the restrictor kicks in anyway tbh. :D

I certainly will if i get a chance. i've started getting tempted for high powered stuff. Not necessarily for the all out grunt but i like having power in reserve. I like overtaking things easily on partial throttle, and still knowing ive got a load more to go at if i need to. 

Maybe its just me. Dont get me wrong, i do enjoy full throttle up to the redline too, just not all the time and every situation haha. 

• Like 1

Never thought about them to be honest but just having had a look on fleabay I have two thoughts.  One how well they keep their value and two god what a bulbous ugly thing.  Must be a Marmite thing I suppose.  I have little doubt they are great to ride but I would have to have my eyes shut every time I went to get on it and I would have to hide it so I couldn't see it when not riding.  So not for me but hey what do I know? :notme:

Never thought about them to be honest but just having had a look on fleabay I have two thoughts. One how well they keep their value and two god what a bulbous ugly thing. Must be a Marmite thing I suppose. I have little doubt they are great to ride but I would have to have my eyes shut every time I went to get on it and I would have to hide it so I couldn't see it when not riding. So not for me but hey what do I know? :notme:

I think itd be wise to keep your eyes very much wide open Chris.

Infact, ive heard blinking takes too long when riding one of those :D

• Like 1

Never thought about them to be honest but just having had a look on fleabay I have two thoughts. One how well they keep their value and two god what a bulbous ugly thing. Must be a Marmite thing I suppose. I have little doubt they are great to ride but I would have to have my eyes shut every time I went to get on it and I would have to hide it so I couldn't see it when not riding. So not for me but hey what do I know? :notme:

Chris, you talking about olis girlfriend again ???

• Like 1

I'm going to be controversial, I think some of the busa's look beautiful! Especially in some colours with a few extras. But they are extremely pricey!

A friend bought a blackbird two years ago and value for money that thing is amazing!

Not controversial at all.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the 'marmite' principle is involved as well.

Yeah the Blackbird is quite a tool as well and I have spoken to folk who have had them and they swear by them but once more a bit of the flabby side with looks.  I suppose part of it for me since I bought the TEX is I am not a massive fan of full fairings even though most of my bikes before have had them.  Also as you rightly say Blackbird offers a massive amount of power for your money these days as they can be picked up (not literally) for reasonable money.

I think theres a few nods in the names too yanno.

The SuperBlackbird was called that as a Lockheed sr-71 plane which was a record breaker for speed.

Then the Hayabusa came along, which means is a Jap Falcon, which eats Blackbirds!

I thought it was interesting anyway :D