Im Leaving the VRS Club :(

Well, just a quick post to say that i am giving up my VRS beauty in the next few weeks as a new car is coming. A Golf GTE....

Edited by john999boy
Non freedom ad removed.
  • Like 1

Think you need to be a freedom member before advertising things ;)

• Like 1

I will be getting rid of my Audi for a GTE too. Now they have upspecced it from BW26 I think. So you now get a 6.5" rather than 5.8" screen and car app support. 

Looks like this but in Carbon Grey. Still miss my yellow vrs though. Just cost too much on a company car scheme. 

DSC_0057_zps7uc718c1.jpg
DSC_0054_zpsvxfbl08u.jpg

file.jpg
Edited by Tricky Red
  • Like 2

Well the GTE is on the ship to Grimsby now, having been built in Germany.

Annoying to read that they are up speccing the screen - i will have to have a word with the dealer about that!

This is on a company lease - approx £300 p/m with 3 months upfront. As the Bik is only 5% and i can charge at the office (the tax man doesn't YET class staff using electricity as a BIK) this will be a lot cheaper than the VRS - though i am going to miss it as it is an awesome car

Definitely gonna miss the boot, but as it is normally full of dog crate the bikes, kayaks, skies etc already go on the roof so it shouldn't be too hard to adapt and the dogs don't get a say!

I will be getting rid of my Audi for a GTE too. Now they have upspecced it from BW26 I think. So you now get a 6.5" rather than 5.8" screen and car app support. 

Looks like this but in Carbon Grey. Still miss my yellow vrs though. Just cost too much on a company car scheme. 

You are right, confirmed by my dealer that the 'imminent' MY16 model does get a larger 6.5" screen. He says it is the only change for the new MY. Carnet is included already for three years.

So i miss out, but i will get my GTE before the main dealer gets their demonstrator! :):D

Edited by NotSoSimple

Really love the idea of these as a company car, I tried the A3 e-tron and was really impressed, however the boot is smaller than my Fabia's glovebox so is no good for me as have a family etc.. It's a real shame as would love the benefits as my company car but just not enough space! 

I tried the A3 e-tron and was really impressed, however the boot is smaller than my Fabia's glovebox so is no good for me as have a family etc.. It's a real shame as would love the benefits as my company car but just not enough space! 

Passat GTE?

Yeah would be interested in one but not out till much later in the year, my work car is up for renewal now which is a shame, wish Skoda would hurry up & offer a hybrid!

Passat GTE?

Passat GTE is expected to come in at around £36,000 so outside of my budget. 

• 3 weeks later...

Kinda gotta feeling the Golf GTE is gonna be a lot like the VR6, great in a straight line...

...until the batteries run out. Then it's just a 1.4TSI with a full boot and 3 passengers. 

Edited by Diango

Those LED lights and 'C' shape DRLs really make it stand out from the crowd. I can only be envious....

Good luck with the handover and enjoy!

I wanted to go down the Hybrid route, the GTE was a bit to small and the others......well lets just say I'm clearly not posh enough to buy one!!!

So I stuck with Skoda for another 3-4 years.

Agreed Skoda really really need to get on the Hybrid wagon

GTE in white does look nice, however with only 272litre boot, I'd really struggle, especially with having 590litres with the VRS kids and a dog, enjoy the car though and please let us know if you get anywhere near the claimed 160 odd mpg  :D

You won't get the claimed. Had the Mitsubshi PHEV for just over 28 hours and it managed 48mpg on a trip to Brighton and back. It was the return part that dropped the consumption due to no battery power left.

Would imagine it will be very close to the diesel with the added advantage around town short journeys over the diesel.

Fair shout, whilst Im not convinced a GTE would be a more sensible purchase over the equivalent Derv GTD privately, if a company car option absolutely a no brainer. All the good "performance golf" bits, plenty of power and miniscule tax and running costs.

The only real downsides I see.....thanks to the electric motor and batteries its a fair chunk heavier than a GTD I suspect as a consequence real world despite the power advantage it will be little if any quicker, the extra weight no doubt will also affect the handling to some degree. The GTD is now better specified (from week 22 they all now come with Discover Nav, Winter Pack and Keyless entry (not just keyless go)....also not sure why exactly but VUK have made the option GT "Serron" wheel standard fitment, rather than the Nogaro as standard on the GTD (and I think this wheel looks even better than the Austins on the GTI) which is a bit of a shame.

Also its v new and who knows what kind of drivechain quirks/issues there will be

...I am sure its great and as a company vehicle it wouldnt bother me unduely but as a private buy Id be a bit concerned about being an early adopter if that makes sense.

I agree with the above comment about new, unproven technology. For me though, I would only be interested in a hybrid car if the electric motor was added to enhance the performance already there, rather than to inaccurately claim that the the fuel comsuption is 4 times better than the standard petrol engine.

right now the tech is too new and not in the right direction for me.