Full beam fog lights

HJM12

Why would you want to do that?  Fog lights are for use in fog and you don't want main beam on then as it will just reflect back off the fog.

Why would you want to do that?  Fog lights are for use in fog and you don't want main beam on then as it will just reflect back off the fog.

Becuase when I use full beam the bottom part of the light beam seems to be missing and when i turn on the fog lights i can see the bottom of the road

Becuase when I use full beam the bottom part of the light beam seems to be missing and when i turn on the fog lights i can see the bottom of the road

Firstly, using fog lights in clear conditions is illegal.  Secondly, the illumination from fog lights is so close to the car that at normal road speeds anything they do illuminate will be hit before you can react and brake or swerve.  60mph is 88 feet per second, so even allowing just two seconds for reaction and the completion of a swerve enough to avoid would mean you need to see the obstacle at almost 60 yards.

On my car when switching on main beam the dip beam remains on so there is no difference in the illumination of the nearest part of the road.  Does your car extinguish dip when high beam is selected? 

• Like 4

The Citigo dip beam goes out when main is selected. One reason is that it is a dual filament bulb (H4) and I think the life would be reduced considerably if both were on.

The Citigo dip beam goes out when main is selected. One reason is that it is a dual filament bulb (H4) and I think the life would be reduced considerably if both were on.

The last car I owned that used a filament bulb for providing either main or dip beam (but not both at once) was an early 1980s Vauxhall Cavalier. The dozen or so cars since have all had separate bulbs for main and dip beams and all left dip illuminated when main beam was selected.

I now understand your problem; but your solution won't work as fog lights are designed to give a wide, but short, beam (much shorter than dipped headlights).

• Like 1

The last car I owned that used a filament bulb for providing either main or dip beam (but not both at once) was an early 1980s Vauxhall Cavalier. The dozen or so cars since have all had separate bulbs for main and dip beams and all left dip illuminated when main beam was selected.

I now understand your problem; but your solution won't work as fog lights are designed to give a wide, but short, beam (much shorter than dipped headlights).

I wasn't asking your opinion on whether or not you thought it would be suitable. I was merely asking whether it was possible.

Maybe no one have tried it, because it's not so smart setup. If you try it, tell us how it goes.

Edited by Emil
  • Like 2

Its simple, using a relay. The coil circuit connected to the high beam circuit and then the load contacts connected from battery to the fog light relay. I can draw a diagram if you need it?

Trust him, he's a electrician ;)

I wasn't asking your opinion on whether or not you thought it would be suitable. I was merely asking whether it was possible.

Temper, temper.   I was just trying to save you wasting your time.  Surely you know that posting on an internet forum will always invite opinion as well as advice?  Personally I welcome it as I often learn something.  Good luck with your search for a way to make use of your fog-lights illegal.  Also to be legal dip beams must have their centres 500 - 1200mm above the road surface and angled between 1 and 1-1/2 degrees below the horizontal  - that's fact not opinion.

• Like 4

I've seen this option (foglights on/off with mainbeam) in the Carista app.

Not sure how compatible it is with the Citigo, but allows several customisations on both my Rapid and Yeti.

Worth a look?.