Martyn's Octavia vRS

MartynVRS

vRS_zpsavwdz619.jpg

Bought as a daily to keep my other car from getting too much attention but the inevitable thoughts started to creep in. What could I improve? What needs to change? Changing anything on my other car I can forget doing as one it's near perfect and two if I did it's mega money. The current spec is as follows:

Shark Stage 2 with S3 intercooler and downpipe @ 282bhp.
S3 brakes
Sachs clutch
Eibach springs
Anti-hop kit

Initial thoughts are that it's OK. Better than I was expecting and definitely fast. Mid range punch is great. When I got it, it had spacers and BF Goodrich tyres on the rear which on the drive home didn't feel great on Welsh roads. Took them off the next day and the car improved dramatically. The next revelation was running with ESP off. With it on it seemed to understeer and resist my inputs more. With it off it's great. Still understeers predictably but it's more adjustable on the throttle now. Also the finding the car is getting quicker the more miles I do with it, almost as if it's loosening up. It definitely has enough power so all it needs now is the chassis to match so it can be controlled. I've always preferred handling over power anyway. There a saying "if you can't go fast with 90bhp you have no hope with 900" which I totally believe. My requirements of any car is that it handles well on Welsh roads. If it handles well here it's good anywhere. No plans to track it but only Anglesey really appeals if I decide to.

Few plans I have so we'll see how many of these I can do/afford to do

• Bilstein B12 kit - Purely due to how they transformed my Fabia and how much it improved things at speed. This car is a good bit quicker everywhere than my Fabia so this is a priority. I'll also get S3 top mounts at the same time if I can find the part number for it.
  • Eibach front and rear ARB's - stiffest set I can get but do need more research on these first. Finding I need more stiffness laterally.
  • Quaife LSD - with the power it seems like a no brainer, although there's no torque steer even with ESP off. It's controllable but you definitely have to think about throttle position mid corner now with the power unsettling it. May look at lighter flywheel too.
  • S3 wishbones - already have these but will also add the ball joints others recommend so I don't lose geometry adjustment.
  • Milltek catback -  makes sense to do the rest of it. Need more noise
  • Brakes - while they are very good they are also heavy. Took one off to have a look at pads and they are silly heavy. May start looking at other options. All suggestions welcome.
  • Wheels - One with a tyre on is 24.5kg. That imo is too much so I'm looking at other options. Speedline Corse Turini's are winning so far but are around £1k without tyres and I'm still not sure what offset I need. Octy's are new to me so loads to learn.
  • Seats - may never happen since they'd be £1k a side but looking at Recaro Sportster CS seats has started to make me think about it. Plus there's an obvious weigh saving.

Rough calculation but I reckon I could save about 8kg a side on the front of unsprung weight with the wishbones, wheels and brakes which is definitely noticeable. I'm up for any and all suggestions to make it handle better or any must have mods I should do.

• Like 1

There's the old girl. Plans look good mate wish it was something I could have justified doing.

I'll only be doing if things work out, I find stuff at reasonable prices etc. The Bilsteins will be a must as I just love them, hoping to get wishbones fitted soon which will be interesting. LSD is a big chunk of money and so are the seats and I'm not entirely sure if either are worth doing.

This car looks great!

Despite buying Steve's old Neptune's, I never got to meet him or his car! I absolutely love the replacement Turinis and nearly bought them from him a while back too! As you may be looking to replace the wheels, if you ever decide to sell the Turinis, please drop me a PM.

Good luck with your project!

This car looks great!

Despite buying Steve's old Neptune's, I never got to meet him or his car! I absolutely love the replacement Turinis and nearly bought them from him a while back too! As you may be looking to replace the wheels, if you ever decide to sell the Turinis, please drop me a PM.

Good luck with your project!

Haven't decided what to do with the Turini's yet. All depends on what price I can get Speedline Corse Turini's for and tyres. Then whether I decided to go for sticky rubber just for summer then use the Skoda Turinis from the rest of the year.

productlarge_1828_600_zpss2wtkcfq.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Finally fitted the Bilsteins. Few tips for anyone deciding to do just springs. Don't bother unless you are prepared to changed shocks and top mounts too. It's just as much effort and you are there anyway and the benefits are massive! Due to time restraints I fitted the rears first as that was quicker. Noticed immediately it was damping better. Over a crest where the car lifts the rear barely bounced once and the front bounced 3 times. Fitting the fronts was a bit of a fight. Everything was over tightened or by the time I'd removed certain bits there was no way I'd have been happy to have put them back on the car. Top mounts were shot I'm glad I bought new ones. It had new top mounts, bearings and bolts, Bilstein B8's all round, new bolts on the hub and new drop links.

Initial impressions were shocking. At first I didn't like it but it's just something to get used to. Now the front end is completely new it feels a completely new car. Turn in is much sharper. Going over crests is a dream. Only thing I've noticed is it's a bit nervous now on straights, turn in is great but is wearing more on the insides. This is telling me there's too much toe in so the next stage is to fit wishbones with new ball joints and get it tracked. Don't suppose anyone knows good settings to put it on?

• 4 weeks later...

I was happy with a stage 1 remap on my cr170 God knows what the stage 2 would be like with 282 bhp It must ballistic. I'll keep any my eyes on the thread the suspension set up sounds quality Martyn.

Edited by BTTDI

• 1 year later...

Blimey this was nearly 2 years ago! And it was only supposed to be a stop gap car!

No changes really. Now on 80k, got serviced today. The centre box pipe that attaches to the rear box is starting to fail so it's time for it's Milltek as a Skoda one is stupid money and has no benefits. Means it will be finally Milltek all the way through. Anyone know where's cheapest to get a Milltek catback? not bothered if it's resonated or not. 

Eats a set of Michelin PS4's on the front every 8-10k and due another set soon, mpg still good for the performance. It's desperate for a deep clean and valet inside but living away from home and work being busy it's been a while. It's better than leaving the local foreign car wash do it and I'd rather do it when I have a day or two to do it properly.

As an all around package it's still great and the day I change it for something newer that has similar performance it will cost a small fortune. It's definitely worth more to me that the pittance I'm seeing some go up for sale for. Must be heartbreaking to those who've put so much time and effort into theirs. May just keep it until it costs too much to keep going. Next car I have no idea. Think I've learned all I can about FWD without an LSD at least so next I'm thinking RWD (86 with some mods, M235i) or 4WD (Golf R)