Autolights do I need to do anything

Hi I picked up a 2009 1.8 TSi on Saturday and have been working through the various functions. If I have the setting for lights to Auto everything seems to work ok (ie when I go through a tunnel in the daytime the green light logo comes up above the dials to indicate my side lights are on) 

Last night driving at about 10pm with the setting still on Auto the side lights and headlights were both on. My question is can I just leave it on Auto all the time or do Ihave to keep checking that all lights have come on. Presumably on auto there is some sort of sensor that kicks in at dusk maybe?

The green logo as you call it as shown in the manual indicates that the dipped lights are on as are the remaining lights and not just side lights. I leave my in auto most of the time and it works ok for me.

Just remember you rear lights won't be on until your dipped lights are either switched on manually or come on by themselves through the the light sensor. So, for example, if you are driving in overcast or foggy conditions during daylight the light sensor doesn't always pick this up and you could end up driving away on front DRLs only even though visibility is poor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They'll also come on in bright sunlight (e.g. bright morning or evening sunshine), apparently it's for safety.  I've also been told that they will also come on over 84mph, but I've got no way to test that.

• Like 1

In my humble opinion,The only useful aspect of the auto light setting is the coming/leaving home function.

I have found whilst trying out the auto setting that the lights would come on at random times during the day and cars in front me think I am flashing them :punch:

So I still use the old fashioned manual system for putting lights on and off,it has never failed me and has worked well in every car I have had.

Fog lights  don't work on auto setting either. Had to use the fogs early this morning,dense fog and the fog lights were excellent.

This is just my humble opinion.

They also use the wiper speed/frequency to determine when to come on.

So if the wipers are going even if it's bright day light they will come on.

Phil

I've also been told that they will also come on over 84mph, but I've got no way to test that.

They do. The Octavia does the same. Tested many times on the Autobahn. I called it "Aus mein scheiss weg modus" or "Get out of my way mode".

Phil

• Like 2

They do. The Octavia does the same. Tested many times on the Autobahn. I called it "Aus mein scheiss weg modus" or "Get out of my way mode".

Phil

You learn something new everyday. Is that activated as standard or via VCDS?

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Usually as standard. I think it's even activated on cars without auto lights. I know mine was and they turned on at this speed before I had fitted my auto light switch.

Phil

Phil

Well that's news to me the 84mph auto light trigger,deffo not going to use auto light switch,ever.

Not as I break the speed limit though.

In my humble opinion,The only useful aspect of the auto light setting is the coming/leaving home function.

I have found whilst trying out the auto setting that the lights would come on at random times during the day and cars in front me think I am flashing them :punch:

So I still use the old fashioned manual system for putting lights on and off,it has never failed me and has worked well in every car I have had.

Fog lights  don't work on auto setting either. Had to use the fogs early this morning,dense fog and the fog lights were excellent.

This is just my humble opinion.

It's bad design that to turn on fog lights you have to click light switch two clicks. If you do this slowly it turns off main lights and switches to side lights.

Not what you want to happen on a bad busy foggy night. Happened to me when I first got car and gave me a hell of a fright!

It's bad design that to turn on fog lights you have to click light switch two clicks. If you do this slowly it turns off main lights and switches to side lights.

Not what you want to happen on a bad busy foggy night. Happened to me when I first got car and gave me a hell of a fright!

I quite like it: turn the switch all the way over to go from auto to fixed.

I also like that you need to be in fixed headlights mode before you can turn the fog lights on, so that you're not distracted by watching your own headlights turning in the fog.

I'm undecided on the physical position of the Auto setting in relation to side and dipped headlights.

Reading the many Auto lights threads most people seem to leave them in Auto and only ever find reason to touch the switch to move over to dipped headlights when Auto doesn't detect fog etc. or if you need to turn on the front and/or rear fog lights.

I therefore think Ford's location makes more sense...

AutoLightSwitch.jpg

Yes its ok when used to it. I also drive a Ford and find it more intuitive.

Better than the Jap Cars. Light switches should not be rotary on the end of indicator stalk, with rear wiper on end of other stalk.

I am continuously turning off the lights instead of rear wiper, especially when I hire a car in Australia where they reverse the indicator side. Not good! :dull:

I'm undecided on the physical position of the Auto setting in relation to side and dipped headlights.

Reading the many Auto lights threads most people seem to leave them in Auto and only ever find reason to touch the switch to move over to dipped headlights when Auto doesn't detect fog etc. or if you need to turn on the front and/or rear fog lights.

I therefore think Ford's location makes more sense...

AutoLightSwitch.jpg

Funny place to put the cruise control dial!

The wife's BMW has the 'Auto' position to the far left, to go to manual headlights you have to turn it through the 'Off' position, then side light position, then finally to main lights - rather odd. The Ford layout seems to be the better option.

• Like 1

The wife's BMW has the 'Auto' position to the far left, to go to manual headlights you have to turn it through the 'Off' position, then side light position, then finally to main lights - rather odd. The Ford layout seems to be the better option.

Both the BMW and Skoda/VAG situation comes back to the "default" state.  For these cars, the default should be "Auto" so that is the first position*.  You'll also notice that you can't turn the front fog lights on when lights are in auto as that is also not the default state** i.e. fogs are for a very specific situation

We used to have the same situation with the air conditioner.  The default should be ON*** so the off button (labelled "Econ") was the non-default state so it had an indicator.  Unfortunately people couldn't get their head around this so the logic has now been changed to an "AC" button**** with a light for "on".

* Yes, VAG has "off" at the first position, but you get my point.  Auto is in the 12-o'clock  for VAG.

** People with fogs on in bright daylight annoy me but I can't really justify as to why.  I also don't like the North Melbourne football club and can't explain why

*** For a variety of reasons, see my post here as to why

**** 1980's thinking, before we had variable displacement compressors

• Like 1

I leave it on auto all the time especially with swiss law where you are required to have daylight running lights all the time.

I've found the auto system to be brilliant - in and out of tunnels, underground car parks etc. they just do the job. A useful bit of kit IMHO.