The reason I got my first Skoda is clearer...

Nice review JR, you pretty much echo my thoughts.

Thanks for sharing.

Ditto - generally as my experience also, just had first family trip to approx 1700 miles with baby and 3 yr old plus push chairs, and the space of the estate is just fantastic, and the car actually felt more planted when fully loaded.

I'm 18,000 miles in now (needs 2nd service), it had 3,000 on it when i got it 6 months back and still enjoying it - something to enjoy the commute to work or out to meeting etc in. Only a few rattle / snagging grips for me but nothing i wouldn't expect on any other new car.

I have an Elegance (so not vRS) but even so whilst I am not in love with the car I have to say I admire it greatly for being such a good car.

Its not without its niggles....questionable trim quality in places..doesnt handle brilliantly and the ride is fragile and overly firm but its vast, robust (Ive done 25k miles in mine in just over a year and so far no bother apart from a dodgy bootlight bulb)....jusy an awful lot of car for what it costs per month.

Also after a 50 mile mainly B road/country lane round trip today with the wife at the wheel, AC blazing too it returned nearly 62mpg (its a 2.0 150) so driven sensibly its proving bloody efficient for a relatively quick 150hp car....has taken some miles and alot of leg stretching on motorways to get it to that level of efficiency though its fairly typical of VAG TDIs to need some miles to bed in its efficiency.

I moan about its terrible residuals and it being a bit dull but that shouldnt detract from what a good motor car it is. As much as I could do with getting shot of it rather than passing it to the wife (as I move to a company car) Im in a way pleased it will be staying with us as a reliable family holdall.

Edited by pipsyp
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...

Now that I'm 10,000 miles and 7 months in to ownership of my first Skoda I thought it was time for reflection and opinion. Coming back from my first holiday in the car, fully loaded with young family and camping gear seemed a good time to write this.

Overall, as an all-round package, the car is really hard to criticise. Yes there are niggles, that I've mentioned in other posts, but as a great all round family car, for someone who wants to drive something well equipped, and reasonably sporty it just ticks so many boxes.

The sheer space and ability to swallow all of my vast camping gear, with help of roofbox, is so much better than my previous 3 and 5 series BMW's. The seats are superbly comfortable, no problem for 6 hour run from home to just outside Paris in one go. I love the way the lights set themselves for driving on the right, what a great feature. Because of the roof box I needed to alter the opening angle of the electronic boot, no problem, really easy.

The Columbus sat nav was faultless, even in France, always spot on with directions and sign recognition. My only frustration with Columbus is touch screen, I really don’t think touch screen and cars works as well as i-Drive type rotary controllers. Bumps and trying to plant your finger on a screen just dont go well together. I think this is just the whole ipad/touch screen world we live in, great on phones and tablets but not on cars IMO.

I also had my first service just before going on hols, great experience with my local dealer in Northampton, no issues at all. It's also a car that seems to gain respect once people take a closer look, I was ostracised by many when I went for a Skoda, but when they had a look or go in it they were all eating their words and totally impressed with the car. It is still a head over heart purchase, no doubt about that but totally right for me with my current needs.

I'm averaging around 42-44mpg which is made up of very mixed driving of short and long journey's. Mind you that took a hammering with the roofbox and stacked boot, went down to 34mpg! Its still good for what it is and the DSG gearbox.

So for anyone reading this who is considering a VRS, and was in the same boat as me (previous VW's Audi's and BMW's), don't think too long about it, just do it.

attachicon.gifVRS Packed.jpgattachicon.gifVRS Hol.jpg

Jollyroger,

Can I ask what roofbox and bars you have ? I am thinking about Thule Wingbar Edges

It's also a car that seems to gain respect once people take a closer look, I was ostracised by many when I went for a Skoda, but when they had a look or go in it they were all eating their words and totally impressed with the car.

This is totally true.

I'm on my fourth Octavia in a row now. If I'm honest I probably liked No.3 (Mk. 2 1.8 TSi Elegance hatch) the best for initial cost, comfort, fittings and performance, and would have simply bought a repeat if it had been available.

However the Mk. 3 1.4 TSi SE has surprising performance for its engine size, and so far is incredibly economical, both on MPG and things like road tax!

I don't like the huge array of electronics but that seems typical nowadays and I have managed to inactivate most that I don't like.

It is due for its first service at end of this month so that could be interesting - or not! Will only have done about 4500 miles by then.

It is due for its first service at end of this month so that could be interesting - or not! Will only have done about 4500 miles by then.

Depending on how efficient your dealer is with appointments you could get it done in around an hour as it's little more than an oil and filter change. A nice cup of free coffee, read a couple of magazines, look at the cars in the showroom and bish bosh bash it's done and you're on your way. :thumbup:

18 months and 40k later I echo everyone thoughts above. Truly smashing value car. So much car for 20k with 5 year warranty 2.0TDI elegance with a few extras.

But as above its not without fault. Neither is my mothers 40k BMW.

Edited by Stuski

Depending on how efficient your dealer is with appointments you could get it done in around an hour as it's little more than an oil and filter change. A nice cup of free coffee, read a couple of magazines, look at the cars in the showroom and bish bosh bash it's done and you're on your way. :thumbup:

Quite! I just spoke to them and they said it wasn't worth messing around with a courtesy car, about 40 minutes work!

BUT I also mentioned the un-removable wheels situation, and said I want them all removed so that the appropriate parts could be Copperslip coated or whatever, otherwise I would not be able to change a punctured wheel if ever necessary.

They agreed that would be part of the service work.

I shall make sure to remind them when I hand it over!!

I do have another gripe which has been mentioned elsewhere on here and it's the paintwork. I don't know about you but my bonnet is peppered with stone chips after just 15k miles and just about a year. It is right down to the primer and it just strikes me that the paint must be thin or lacking in quality as I've never had it this bad on any car before.

For example I covered over 100k in a 3 series and it had plenty of chips but they didn't look as bad as these.

• Like 1

i see you are satisfied With the seats. do you have the standard seats or the sports seats?

when i picked up the car two days ago i had a 4.5 hour drive home and my back and legs where all numb when i arrived home.

could be that the seat was New and hard and get better after a while,surly hope so. i got the standard seats With leather.

Edited by bytterga

Haven't noticed that problem but the car does seem a bit more "tinny" than the Mk. 2. I gather this is for some kind of weight saving reason?

P1ss awful sound proofing. Little things like the door cards are mostly plastic. All it takes is a panel or two of material and it makes a big difference to reducing resonance and absorbing sound.