"Spelling"

Makefish

Whilst I enjoy this forum immensely I have been quite amazed at some of the atrocious spelling mistakes that are made on here. What has happened to our education system that such elementary errors are made. I know mistakes can happen when typing quickly, but I cannot believe that they are all typographical errors!!.

By the way, I did run this through a spell checker before posting this!! :D

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wavey: I often do, and if spotted will edit accordingly. I guess I use the quick reply box too often, and the spellchecker is only in the "post reply" and "reply/quote" links. :) And even then I usually skip it...

I generally consider myself to be a reasonable speller - always did well in school and during recent celebrity spell-offs on TV, been surprised at what I could manage. :cool:

I do think a lot of deliberate spelling mistakes creep in, which I dislike - not sure if the "l8r/later" one counts? Thats just txt speak, which is a totally different thing.

Where's that link to the site where someone tried to argue as long as the first & last letters were right, it didn't matter about the middle ones? I msut amtetpt to lcotae taht lnik

They aren't. People just don't consider spelling important any more :(

Your spell checker seems to have missed out "immensly" which should read "immensely"

Someone this morning on Messenger called me "Mr Pedantic"...

Moi?

:P

As for the spelling thing, a lot of it is speed related. A bit like accidents...

Those that aren't directly attributable to speed are caused by intense reactions that cause bile/anger to rise in back of throat. You type with such "passion" that you hit "submit" before proof-reading.

There are other reasons too.

Like using a PDA hand-writing recognition program while on a bus/train/car/toilet (delete as appropriate) :D

Whilst the spelling from some does baffle me, the type of language used by others absolutely dismays me.

"Got me car yesterday, me bird iz well appy innit" .......or to that effect.

HAVE I MISSED OUT ON SOME NEW LANGUAGE HERE???? WTF is all that about then???

the spellchecker is only in the "post reply" and "reply/quote" links. :) And even then I usually skip it...

So I'm in "reply" and I see no spellchecker. What do I have to do to get one? :confused:

not that I need it' date=' of course![/size']

maybe I'm a pedant too.... but I must admit, I do hate to see the way that some people type in posts.... there have been one or two times I've had to read a post more than once to work out what it was about ;)

Mind you, none of it has been as bad as one of the guys on the puma forum lol - I don't even bother reading his posts, cos I just KNOW I won't understand a word ;)

I jus' goh' sum mud flaps, here's my bangin rap baby!

rubber mould additons are flaptastic baby - those Puma mud protectors got me acting real crazy

'Um takin faster corners like I used to lazy - the dirts left where it should be be, pushin up the daisies!

Nah I aint sayin she a gol' digga... etc.

Instructions:

1. rap to back beat from kanye West's 'Gold Digger'

2. become a rap superstar

3. Yo!, pay me my Royalties bitch!

Information:

'Bitch' is here used in its 'gangsta rap' gender neutral sense - men can be bitches too yeh know! You're SO sexist... bitch!

:confused:

maybe I'm a pedant too.... but I must admit' date=' I do hate to see the way that some people type in posts.... there have been one or two times I've had to read a post more than once to work out what it was about ;)

Mind you, none of it has been as bad as one of the guys on the puma forum lol - I don't even bother reading his posts, cos I just KNOW I won't understand a word ;)

[/quote']

Obviously not that much of a pedant. ;) (Setting myself up for a fall, but we are all guilty of it.)

"Maybe I'm a pedant too, but I must admit, I do hate to see the way that some people type in posts. There have been one or two times I've had to read a post more than once to work out what it was about. ;)

Mind you, none of it has been as bad as one of the guys on the puma forum lol. I don't even bother reading his posts, because I just know I won't understand a word. ;)"

Part of the problem (and when you find the grammatical/spelling errors below, please don't correct else we'll be here all day :D ) is that we don't speak how we write, or write how we speak (and probably a good job too).

We're not really writting formal stuff here, so grammatical mistakes should be tolerated. However, I do agree with the original poster. I'm not keen on the people who obviously don't even try.

EDIT: Oh b0110cks. I missed the final full stop!

It Is Far More Annoying When Someone Posts Like This.

And Really Takes A Long Time.

AND THOSE WHO SHOUT!!

However, there are a few people on here who don't use any punctuation and I do find those posts quite difficult to read.

The really annoying thing is where people dont use any punctuation at all in a single post where sentances and paragraphs should be used I am not perfect in this respect but I try my hardest and I find the colon and semi colon are neglected most when it comes to punctuation.

Now isn't that annoying? :mad:

"Txt spk" gets on my nerves as well, why did Nokia bother developing the T9 dictionary?

The really annoying thing is where people dont use any punctuation at all in a single post where sentances and paragraphs should be used I am not perfect in this respect but I try my hardest and I find the colon and semi colon are neglected most when it comes to punctuation.

No, you're not perfect. There's far too much use of capitalisation in that and the post needs to run to atleast 7 or 8 lines for it to be really annoying. :D