"Spelling"

Makefish

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May be wise - you're going to have to be so careful from now on!

"I'll get me coat ..." - is intended to be read to oneself in a mock Yorkshire accent, I'm well aware it's not grammatical :rolleyes:

I always hate the 'I seen a xxx' or 'I seen it'. I was always taught to say 'I saw a ' as it was in the past. Not sure if it is wrong but it annoys me- and I only left school in the last decade, so if it was being taught then!

:eek: tey gnitruh seye ruoy - kniht uoy od tahW.;) ekatsim gnilelps ddo eht htiw yawa teg ot reisae sti ,uoy dniM !truh daeh ym sekam dna epyt ot sega sekaT .etah tep ym si eno sihT

I thought it was more polite to put the full stop before any smiley referring to the sentence. :P

I think most of us are guilty of the odd typo or spelling mistake but I recently worked at an engineering college where most of the students were school leavers. It is worrying just how many of them can't write properly let alone spell the words correctly. I wonder if it is because they are too reliant on PC's and spell checkers?

I think most of us are guilty of the odd typo or spelling mistake but I recently worked at an engineering college where most of the students were school leavers. It is worrying just how many of them can't write properly let alone spell the words correctly. I wonder if it is because they are too reliant on PC's and spell checkers?

Some of the reports/documentation I get to read in my job is also quite shocking. Mostly written by top-grade university graduates who confuse affects/effects, there/their/they're, to/two/too, he's/his, etc, etc.

I think one of the problems these days is people don't seem to be too worried about spelling and grammar, so long as the meaning is clear so we shouldn't penalise someone who can right top notch computer code, but doesn't know how to spell or punctuate..... :confused:

Chris

I think one of the problems these days is people don't seem to be too worried about spelling and grammar' date=' so long as the meaning is clear so we shouldn't penalise someone who can right top notch computer code, but doesn't know how to spell or punctuate..... :confused:

Chris[/quote']

right and write... another common confusion there!

Of course, you can't forget your and you're, its and it's, and countless others.

If anyone wants to check to see how their English stacks up, try this

By the way, I got 20/20 :cool::rolleyes:

right and write... another common confusion there!

Of course' date=' you can't forget your and you're, its and it's, and countless others.

If anyone wants to check to see how their English stacks up, try this

By the way, I got 20/20 :cool::rolleyes:

Not bad, although question 14 has no wrong answer :P

Some people including scientists are sick to death of people blattering on about global warming :P

I like the BBC test ... 20/20 of course ;). I see some AWFUL spelling and punctuation online - so many people think that apostrophes are just too much effort, for example. Grrr!

17/20 :o Obviously there's (short for "there is" :rolleyes::D) some words not in my vocabulary, and I can't remember WTF onamatapaeia (sp? :D) even IS let alone be able to determine one.

I believe my grasp of the English language gets me by, which is enough. Innit? ;):rofl:

I saw a small part of Match of the Day on the TV this morning before I went to work. Managers and players love the phrase "done well", as in "the boys done well". I was always told that past tence was did., "the boys did well". Who is right?

You are correct, Colin. It cannot be discounted, however, that the expression, "The boys done well," might be a deliberately corrupted regional colloquial expression. A more recognisable example would perhaps be: "Yer did good, kid," which, correctly stated, would read: "You did well, child".

I wrote that just as an example, Colin, based on your question but with relevance intended to the thread as a whole.

I'm not sure that that level of accuracy, however good (or bad) it is, is relevant to a forum, or for the purpose of communication generally, since it is quite difficult to read quickly, let alone to type quickly.

The thought of teaching children who don't read books and who rarely, if ever, see words spelt correctly, nor sentences correctly punctuated, leads me to think that English must be regarded as a living language which is changing according to common understanding around the world.

For Internet Explorer, "ieSpell" (freeware) will check words (not grammar) typed into "input boxes" on websites: http://www.iespell.com/

There is another program that's recommended also, but I can't remember the name ...

Mo

I think it is a bit barmy.How can you survive without being able to spell, read or add up?

In fact,techno age or not,how do you use a computer without these skills :confused:

Internet Explorer: As I've mentioned, "ieSpell" is the favourite for IE and IE-based browsers:

http://www.iespell.com/

Outlook Express: "Spell Checker" from Major Geeks is recommended:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2952

(I've also seen a referral to "oeSpell", from the same people as "ieSpell", but I don't have a link.)

Firefox: "Spellbound" is the only one I know of, since Firefox will not allow programs in general to be attached to it. Spellbound is designed to be attached to Firefox and this link gives instructions for its installation. (NB I have read that some people download and then "lose" it, so I guess the instructions need to be followed carefully.)

I've read that Spellbound is not particularly good, although presumably it's under constant review, but it seems to be Hobson's Choice for Firefox.

http://wiki.ehow.com/Install-a-Spell-Checker-Into-Firefox

------------

I have, and am happy with, ieSpell. I don't have the others.

Spell checkers are irritating to me for use on forums, since almost every other word is not actually a word, e.g. usernames, acronyms, deliberate corruptions etc, together with monitoring for American spellings. Nevertheless, it's there when a formal entry is required via an input box.

There yer go - and no I haven't spell-checked this. Spent enough time on it already ;)

Regards

Mo