Windows switch working wrong way help

I've just bought another vrs and the passenger window switch is working backwards so down is up and up is down. This is the same when controlled by the main switches on the drivers switch bank. Any body have any ideas what this may be ??

It will be the connection at the window motor.  I'd assume it's been in a bingle & the panel beater stuffed it up.  A mate recently bought a vRS with a similar problem on the drivers rear door but only for the one switch. I can't remember what stupid thing they'd done but swapping the wires fixed it

Just Taken the panel of and all the wires are done and connected correctly with no alterations. The silly thing is when you do the global open from the key fob it puts the other 3 down and when u close it its shuts those 3 and opens the rear passenger I'm lost

If the drivers button, rear door button and remote are all doing the reverse of what you expect then I'd definitely start looking at the motor first.

If you're only reversing the cables at the switches then it'll still be wrong when using the remote to open/close the windows.

I have the exact same problem...

It started after I had 3 flat batterys in as many days, problem was traced to a water leak around the fuse box in the engine compartment, problem was cured but my rear passenger window switch started working in reverse !

Its been like it for 3 years now...

I know this information doesn't help you with your problem though...

But if you fix it...

I'm all ears !

• Like 1

I've had a quick google and found mention of a tsb on some VW's with similar symptoms: http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen/eos_(1f7)/l4-2.0l_turbo_(bpy)/windows_and_glass/windows/window_regulator/rear_door_window_regulator/system_information/technical_service_bulletins/all_technical_service_bulletins_for_rear_door_window_regulator/page_19345/

Given this and that it's not just a simple motor connection, I suspect it could be related to the motor module. If I'm reading it right, some people claim success with recoding and others replace the module.

I can only suggest having a look with vcds and try recoding it?

I'd start with an autoscan for any obvious codes then check the controllers for the rear doors. Just had a look through a few octavia scans and they all have the same coding for the both rear doors regardless of part number, HW or SW versions. This is both pre-FL and FL so if your coding if different it may be a good clue.

Coding: 0000144

Address 62: Door, Rear Left        Labels: 1K0-959-703-GEN2.lbl
   Part No: 1K0 959 703 E

Component: Tuer-SG         021 2435  

Address 62: Door, Rear Left        Labels: 1K0-959-703-GEN3.lbl
   Part No SW: 1K0 959 703 J    HW: 1K0 959 703 J
   Component: Tuer-SG         005 0907  

Part No SW: 1K0 959 703 J    HW: 1K0 959 703 J
   Component: Tuer-SG         006 1301  

Part No SW: 5K0 959 703 A    HW: 5K0 959 703 A
   Component: Tuer-SG         007 2101 

The windows are no longer operated by making a contact through a switch and reversing it to change the motor direction.  It's now all done by control units and software, all that the switch does is send a signal to a central control unit which then sends it to the control unit on the motor which then works out whether you want the window to go up or down.

We had similar recently on a MK2 Fabia where the windows didn't operate at all.  Progress was made to get them working and we were left with the windows operating but with one switch position reversed.  The fix that we found was quite easy - a bit of gentle percussive adjustment on the motor.

I've been searching the Internet for weeks and finally found a solution that has fixed it! On the regulator there is a metal bit with for screws that if you turn 180 degrees it reverses the motor and gladly it's fixed it yay :)

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

Window problems on Octavia 2 2007 VRS estate. Also Mk 5 Golf.

The problem is that the N/S rear window goes up when it should be going down and visa versa. Something you could live with but it does render the close windows facility on key locking as useless. The window opens when the other three are closing. The problem occurred when I disconnected the rear NS door switch to remove the door card trim. When I reconnected the switch the up and down were reversed. Also  the one touch up or down did not work.

Firstly I can tell you that it is impossible to reverse any connections or incorrectly fit anything in the window system. This is a software problem and the only true remedy is to buy a new controller that fits into the window motor unit with 6 plastic clips. I’m not sure if it is available without the motor unit attached. A complete used unit can be purchased for £20 to £30 on Ebay.

The electronics are very complex. There are two 40 pin IC’s plus a further three smaller IC’s in each door controller to run the CAN network and the various other window features. Each window controller is addressable with its own unique ID. The motor is operated by a power MOSFET via a reversing relay. Motor current sensing is used to monitor the fully up or down positions or when the window is ice bound. A stall situation caused by an obstruction when closing is also sensed the same way. The current rises as the motor stalls and the supply is cut.

I decided to try and sort the problem out. I easily removed the door card and then the motor unit disconnecting the main plug. My plan was to reverse the connections to the motor if possible. I unclipped the control unit from the motor and drive unit. Fortunately it is fitted with a brushed DC motor so the supply can be reversed to change the direction of rotation.

The only possibility was to cut through the PCB copper tracks and reverse them by soldering short cross over wires as per the photos. I put it all back together and now at least the window works in the right direction and key opening and closing is now possible. The one touch facility continues not to work. I have tried the window reset procedure to no avail.

Unfortunately the Best Answer definitely does not apply to my Mk2 Octavia VRS Estate. To quote: “On the regulator there is a metal bit with four screws that if you turn 180 degrees it reverses the motor”.  The only metal bit is the motor and to make a connection it has to be in the position shown. I have many years of experience in electro mechanical engineering. Hope this is write up is helpful and sorry about the quality of the Pics.

post-21999-0-58248600-1461441729_thumb.jpg

post-21999-0-63577300-1461441764_thumb.jpg

post-21999-0-46826200-1461441790_thumb.jpg

This is a software problem and the only true remedy is to buy a new controller that fits into the window motor unit with 6 plastic clips.

Or to correct the software :)

I retrofitted powerfold mirrors and discovered the puddle lights didn't work when folded. However, using VAS-PC or ODIS-e (not VCDS) it was possible to get puddle lights working regardless of mirror position. This was done by changing a small section of eeprom inside the front door controllers and assuming my translations are correct, it's possible to switch the window motor direction on the front doors using the same method.

Given this, I would be very surprised if it wasn't possible on the rear door controllers as well. I know VAS-PC has a number of scripts to set up modules when installed so you probably just needed to run the correct one for your car.

• 2 years later...

I have a Skoda Octavia 2007 2.0 TDi and after a flat battery (my own fault) the RNS window switch and the master on the drivers door started working the opposite way, i.e. press to go up and window went down and vice versa. I could have lived with this but the RNS would open of its own accord, sometimes hours after the car had been parked up and locked. To cut a long story short the low voltage from the battery had corrupted the coding which was quickly sorted by a Skoda dealer. All back to normal now.

I would go with first action for any computer system strange fault. Disconnect the battery for 10 secs or more to reset the memory then do a switch reset for window up and down positions.

I have cleared other strange problems on the car auxiliaries by disconnecting the battery/removing the appropriate fuse for a short time. It is the car equivalent of ctrl/alt/del.

Worth a try

• 1 year later...

WARNING TO ALL - WHEN BUYING REPLACEMENT REAR WINDOW MOTORS + MODULES FOR THE OCTAVIA II - YOU HAVE TO GET ONES MADE SPECIFIC FOR THE OCTAVIA II - THERE ARE IDENTICAL VW UNITS  WITH IDENTICAL PART NUMBERS, BUT THE VW ONES WILL WORK IN REVERSE!

Now that I've gotten that out of my chest, summing up a long story - I had to replace the rear window winders + modules in my 2006 Octavia II L&K. I got replacement ones (second-hand) with identical part numbers and they would work in reverse!

No fault codes. After a lot of investigation, I discovered that the rear window winder units are made special for the Octy II 

ha1-KFJw-M48-FHZLz6-Fq-HQLxt-Zj0n-b-Mxt2

Look at the photo of the above unit I took from a 2009 Octy 2 - the part number has the word SK3 mentioned it and it also mentions Skoda A5

The VW ones wont have this - apart from these the VW ones are identical. Putting a VW control module on a Skoda winder won't work - I tried this and the result is that it works the opposite.

Front Winders and control units seem to be same across VW and Skoda

Don't make the same mistake I did - be extra careful when ordering rear window winders for your Octy II

Regards