What did you do to your bike today?

fabiamk2SE

• 2 weeks later...

Took delivery of the BMW last Thursday but was not able to get my hands on it until Sunday due to work commitments, As agreed with the Dealership I bought it off they carried out the 6000 Mile Service using Silkolene Pro 4 5W40 Fully Synthetic Oil, Genuine BMW Oil Filter and changed the Brake Fluid.

While it was in there I decided to let them put some New Tyres on as they offered to do them for me at Trade, I opted for some Bridgestone S21 Hypersports.

Obviously I was going to go through the whole Bike as I always do and give the Bike a bit of a Detail as well as checking everything and fitting a few choice parts along the way, Spent about 5 Hours on Sunday and a few Hours Yesterday finishing off. The Valeter the Dealership employ needs to consider choosing a different career  :lol: To be fair though I do have an OCD.

I did the following...

Firstly Rear end of Bike

: Rear Wheel removed, Stripped including removal of Brake Disc and ABS Ring and Degreased/Cleaned Reassembled.
: Swingarm, Hugger and Chain Guard Degreased/Cleaned.
: Rear Sprocket & Chain Degreased/Cleaned. Front Sprocket Cover removed and Degreased/Cleaned. Chain Lubricated using Wurth High Performance Dry Lube.
: Rear Axle, Chain Adjusters cleaned and Lubricated.
: Rear Brake Pads removed, Caliper Checked, Cleaned, Piston Pushed Back by hand. Caliper Carrier Cleaned, All Sliders Lubricated using Ceramic Grease.
: Undertray Cleaned, Dressed.

Middle of the Bike

: Removed old Tank pad, Used Tar remover to get rid of old glue residue, Machine Polished the Tank and then Waxed it.
: Removed Tank Infill Panels, Seats, Side Panels and Belly Pan. Everything Cleaned, All Bolts had Copper Grease Applied.
: All Red Panels Hand Polished.
: Removed Old Radiator and Oil Cooler Guards.
: Exhaust Headers, Collector and Cat all Polished using Autosol.
: ACF 50 Applied to Exhaust.

Front of the Bike

: Mudguard removed, Washed and refitted.
: Front Wheel Cleaned.
: Forks cleaned.
: Front Brake Pads Removed, Both Calipers Cleaned, Pistons pushed back by hand.
: Checked Torque on Pinch Bolts and Axle Bolt.

Also fitted a few bits along the way

: Fitted the Original BMW Dealer Number Plate.
: New Oxford Optimiser Battery Lead.
: New Evotech Performance Paddock Stand Bobbins.
: New Evotech Performance Radiator and Oil Cooler Guards.
: New Genuine BMW S1000RR Black Tank Infill Panels.
: New Motografix Gel Tank Protector.
: New Brembo Sinter Brake Pads Fitted All-Round.

The Bike already had a Quality MRA Screen fitted so left that alone.

Hope you approve...

48043723781_270b2f3970_c.jpg

48043813572_663a4dcf47_c.jpg

48043724576_dfaf1da6fd_c.jpg

48043814647_b4776ac387_c.jpg

48042716538_240344134e_c.jpg

48042685321_c347c2cc02_c.jpg

48042685411_37e67c8b2d_c.jpg

48042716398_d7dcd874d1_c.jpg

48042716233_9716404078_c.jpg

• Like 4

IMG_1891.HEICJust come back from an epic 3,000 miler around Austria, Slovenia and Northern Italy on the GSA, Slovenia is beautiful. Had a couple of off's on a dirt road in Slovenia and a small section on the Strada Della Vette :) Wrapped up with Rammstein playing live at the Munich Olympic stadium and a 552 mile run back to Europoort the next morning.

Enjoyed a nice Currywurst after crossing the Rhine at Remagen, whilst checking out the remains of the Ludendorf bridge.

IMG_1948.jpg

Edited by fluffmeister
  • Like 1

And the tour of lovely towns continued :) Until you've heard your Garmin announce "in 500 yards, you will reach ****ing on the left" you've not lived :)

IMG_1570.jpg

IMG_1449.jpg

IMG_1891.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We went into ****ing via Titmoning, and prior to that we hit titz

It's a positive smut fest, reminded me of ****, and the final fuel stop as a squaddie before crossing the border at ****um ....... what fun, I bet the Briskoda swear filter is going mental :)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, fluffmeister said:

We went into ****ing via Titmoning, and prior to that we hit titz

It's a positive smut fest, reminded me of ****, and the final fuel stop as a squaddie before crossing the border at ****um ....... what fun, I bet the Briskoda swear filter is going mental :)

I remember ****um too, last place to use your fuel coupons. Big queue of Brit registered cars to the fuel station to fill their tanks and as many gerry cans as they could carry.

• 2 weeks later...

Well finally after the battering of Heavy Rain I managed to get out on both Bikes last Week!

Went out for the First ride on the BMW S1000R Sport on Thursday evening, It was just a steady 50 Miles or so because I only had about an Hour of Daylight left, The Tyres and the Brake pads where all Brand New. Just as phenomenal as I remember the other One. Very easy to ride, Glad I took the plunge and held out for a good example to come up. Looking forward to hopefully many more Miles this Year.

Then went for a ride on Friday Evening on the Classic and again it reinforced my decision for buying the Fireblade  8) 

Bearing in mind I had been out on the BMW the night before, The 20 Year old Honda just does not disappoint. What an absolute pleasure it is to ride!

I went over the Strines, Past Ladybower and over Snake Pass, Right at Glossop, Over Holme Moss, Back towards A616 and Home. Around 70 Miles, The Weather was perfect, Roads where nice and dry oh and as a totally unplanned bonus....

A Professional Photographer was set-up on the Snake Pass and got a fantastic shot of me, I happily bought a copy of the picture and here it is...

48114140798_515f11a859_c.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Well the BMW has gone, I have kept quiet but yesterday I took and the paperwork and handed the Keys back Bike because I have had enough.

Had nothing but issues from Day 1 with the Bike and with the Dealership I bought it from...

: Bike was not Valeted Prior to Delivery, Was in a right State when I got it. Spent multiple Hours and a lot of effort to get it upto a decent Standard.
: Front Brake Pads very low, Maybe had 500 Miles Maximum left. Had to replace those before I even put my leg over the Bike
: Coolant Level on Minimum, Had to top it up Bike had allegedly just been serviced prior to delivery
: One of the Nuts which Secure the Exhaust Headers which is located just above the Oil Filter Which was done during the Service by Yourselves was on the last few Threads of the Stud and only Finger Tight. I had to check and Torque all 8 to the correct spec.
: Log Books sent to wrong Address, Sent to Number 5 and I live at 51. I was told by Adam that the Lady in your admin dept at Clay Cross put 5 down instead of 51 and so the DVLA sent the Log Book to a House down my Road. Luckily the lady who lives there managed to track me down via Facebook and so I was able to get it from her. I Re-Sent it off with the correct Details.

: Monday 15th July 2019 after just a Total of 300 Miles and 6 Weeks Ownership the Water Pump fails dumping Coolant all over the Frame and Exhaust. Tuesday 16th July 2019 I get the Bike to yourselves off my own Back to be Greeted by a less than Helpful Service Manager. To then be told there are no Loan Bikes, The Bus Station is a short Walk away and then that my Pride and Joy Bike will be left outside during the Day for the Next Week until it goes in for Repair.

Had nothing but issues from Day 1 with the Bike and with the Dealership I bought it from...

: Bike was not Valeted Prior to Delivery, Was in a right State when I got it. Spent multiple Hours and a lot of effort to get it upto a decent Standard.
: Front Brake Pads very low, Maybe had 500 Miles Maximum left. Had to replace those before I even put my leg over the Bike
: Coolant Level on Minimum, Had to top it up
: One of the Nuts which Secure the Exhaust Headers which is located just above the Oil Filter Which was done during the Service by Yourselves was on the last few Threads of the Stud and only Finger Tight. I had to check and Torque all 8 to the correct spec.
: Log Books sent to wrong Address, Sent to Number 5 and I live at 51. I was told by Adam that the Lady in your admin dept at Clay Cross put 5 down instead of 51 and so the DVLA sent the Log Book to a House down my Road. Luckily the lady who lives there managed to track me down via Facebook and so I was able to get it from her. I Re-Sent it off with the correct Details.

: Monday 15th July 2019 after just a Total of 300 Miles and 6 Weeks Ownership the Water Pump fails dumping Coolant all over the Frame and Exhaust. Tuesday 16th July 2019 I get the Bike to yourselves off my own Back to be Greeted by a less than Helpful Service Manager. To then be told there are no Loan Bikes, The Bus Station is a short Walk away and then that my Pride and Joy Bike will be left outside during the Day for the Next Week until it goes in for Repair.

It was at this Point I simply had enough, I have had 12 Months of crap to deal with regarding Bikes.... The ZX12R Set on fire, Was at Kawasaki 5 Weeks getting repaired under Warranty. The last BMW S1000R I was ripped off with by BMW selling me a 1 Previous Owner Bike which had 3 Previous Keepers. And now this with a different Bike and different dealership.

I have basically sold the Bike back to them as a refund was not on the Cards despite the levels of incompetency within their Valeting Department, Service Department, Admin Department and Aftersales and now a Mechanical Failure of the Bike. 

They kicked the crap out of me on the price, I have lost a substantial amount on the Bike because I just wanted out.

Best part is they have had my Bank Account details for nearly 24 Hours and I was told I would be paid for the Bike straight away, Nothing is in my Account as yet.

I sent a long Email to the MD yesterday Evening who replied and said he was going to ring me today. Not impressed though :(

Edited by bonelorry
  • Sad 3

You've not had a good year on bikes at all. One down to misfortune the others down to poor service. At least the Fireblade has been good for you. 

• Like 1

Bloody hell Bonelorry you have had your fair share of bad lack and Incompetence on the part of others. I found that when looking at new bikes that it is very hard to find a good genuine one that isn't massively over priced.  I find that the odd time when I have found the perfect bike or even car there are always things that have been conveniently missed out or overlooked and it can take a long time to find a proper genuine seller with a bike/car you want. This can often mean lots of expense travelling to see vehicles and then returning home empty handed.

Can't believe the second dealer where you purchased your BMW from did such a shoddy job hopefully you will have left them a good honest review via google/facebook...etc to warn others. Although looking through your post above I can obviously see you pay great attention to detail (like myself!) although I know many other people including some close mates who pay no attention to detail whatsoever and would easily overlook most of the things you have highlighted. This seems to suit a lot of these sellers as most of time they will get away with the small things as people will overlook them.

Just on another note, and I would be interested in others views, I don't seem to come on the bike section of this forum anywhere near as much as I used to now it is in a sub menu rather that when it was nice and clear on the main page. Might just be me but if others feel the same maybe we could suggest to Colin for it to be placed back where it used to be?

We seem to have been replaced by cycling club... :-))

Edited by Chunk11
  • Like 1

Some proper unfortunate stuff there Bonelorry. CMC are pretty awful to deal with, constantly trying to mug everybody off wherever possible. I couldnt buy a bike off them for trying, wasnt any movement in their expensive prices, just ‘pay full price or Go somewhere else’ attitude. So i did. I wouldnt mind but they were adding a few hundred onto list price, so literally every other dealer was cheaper. 

Chunk, tbh mate i hadnt even noticed it had moved. I never go anywhere else unless a notification takes me there. Stopped bothering with the other parts of the forum completely. 

Edited by fabiamk2SE
  • Like 1

On 20/07/2019 at 09:56, CWARD said:

You've not had a good year on bikes at all. One down to misfortune the others down to poor service. At least the Fireblade has been good for you. 

On 20/07/2019 at 12:52, Chunk11 said:

Bloody hell Bonelorry you have had your fair share of bad lack and Incompetence on the part of others. I found that when looking at new bikes that it is very hard to find a good genuine one that isn't massively over priced.  I find that the odd time when I have found the perfect bike or even car there are always things that have been conveniently missed out or overlooked and it can take a long time to find a proper genuine seller with a bike/car you want. This can often mean lots of expense travelling to see vehicles and then returning home empty handed.

Can't believe the second dealer where you purchased your BMW from did such a shoddy job hopefully you will have left them a good honest review via google/facebook...etc to warn others. Although looking through your post above I can obviously see you pay great attention to detail (like myself!) although I know many other people including some close mates who pay no attention to detail whatsoever and would easily overlook most of the things you have highlighted. This seems to suit a lot of these sellers as most of time they will get away with the small things as people will overlook them.

Just on another note, and I would be interested in others views, I don't seem to come on the bike section of this forum anywhere near as much as I used to now it is in a sub menu rather that when it was nice and clear on the main page. Might just be me but if others feel the same maybe we could suggest to Colin for it to be placed back where it used to be?

We seem to have been replaced by cycling club... :-))

37 minutes ago, fabiamk2SE said:

Some proper unfortunate stuff there Bonelorry. CMC are pretty awful to deal with, constantly trying to mug everybody off wherever possible. I couldnt buy a bike off them for trying, wasnt any movement in their expensive prices, just ‘pay full price or Go somewhere else’ attitude. So i did. I wouldnt mind but they were adding a few hundred onto list price, so literally every other dealer was cheaper. 

Chunk, tbh mate i hadnt even noticed it had moved. I never go anywhere else unless a notification takes me there. Stopped bothering with the other parts of the forum completely. 

Cheers for your replies Guys,

You live and learn and I will not be having any dealings with CMC again in the future, I actually worked for them in 2004/5 when they Won MCN Dealership of the Year. Back then things where very different but I could see where they where heading and focusing on Quantity over Quality which was not the way I did things and so I left and went on to do other things in the Motor Industry.

I still know many People in the Motorcycle Industry and have a friend with a small Independent Bike Shop nearby, CMC have had a big turnover of Staff recently and there seems to be a "Don't give a Crap" attitude amongst the Staff I have had dealings with, Once they have your Money that is where any sort of Good Experience stops.

I will be honest after the Experience I had a few Months ago with the first S1000R Sport through Barrie Robson BMW in York I vowed not to deal with a BMW Main Dealer again and wanted to source another S1000R from an Independent Dealer, On the face of it the Red S1000R Sport which I bought from CMC Chesterfield ticked all the right boxes, It was traded in as a P/X with Full BMW History from its supplying Dealer and it was a Mint Condition Bike Cosmetically albeit once I had Valeted/Detailed it properly. I went through it all the best I could do whilst in the Dealership and when making the initial purchase and as I have posted above things started to go wrong as as soon as I took delivery of the Bike.

After the lengthy Email that I sent complaining I was contacted via Phone by the MD on Friday Evening, He was once again very apologetic about the entire experience and said he was not at all happy with the way I have been dealt with and the way the situation has been handled by his Staff. He said the amount they gave me for the Bike was not appropriate and that he would be having a Meeting on Monday/Tomorrow with the Staff involved and then arranging for an additional amount of Money to be given to me to fill the Gap but I will find out how much when I have spoken with him.

I absolutely loved the BMW S1000R's I have had, Enjoyed every Mile riding them but my options if I choose to buy another are limited. I wouldn't want one without a decent Warranty though as they can have mechanical issues, Maybe try an alternative BMW Dealer and ask to check all the Admin prior to purchasing the Bike.

Might end up with something totally different but I am not really in the mood to begin searching again for the 3rd time this Year.

Edited by bonelorry
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bonelorry said:

Cheers for your replies Guys,

You live and learn and I will not be having any dealings with CMC again in the future, I actually worked for them in 2004/5 when they Won MCN Dealership of the Year. Back then things where very different but I could see where they where heading and focusing on Quantity over Quality which was not the way I did things and so I left and went on to do other things in the Motor Industry.

I still know many People in the Motorcycle Industry and have a friend with a small Independent Bike Shop nearby, CMC have had a big turnover of Staff recently and there seems to be a "Don't give a Crap" attitude amongst the Staff I have had dealings with, Once they have your Money that is where any sort of Good Experience stops.

I will be honest after the Experience I had a few Months ago with the first S1000R Sport through Barrie Robson BMW in York I vowed not to deal with a BMW Main Dealer again and wanted to source another S1000R from an Independent Dealer, On the face of it the Red S1000R Sport which I bought from CMC Chesterfield ticked all the right boxes, It was traded in as a P/X with Full BMW History from its supplying Dealer and it was a Mint Condition Bike Cosmetically albeit once I had Valeted/Detailed it properly. I went through it all the best I could do whilst in the Dealership and when making the initial purchase and as I have posted above things started to go wrong as as soon as I took delivery of the Bike.

After the lengthy Email that I sent complaining I was contacted via Phone by the MD on Friday Evening, He was once again very apologetic about the entire experience and said he was not at all happy with the way I have been dealt with and the way the situation has been handled by his Staff. He said the amount they gave me for the Bike was not appropriate and that he would be having a Meeting on Monday/Tomorrow with the Staff involved and then arranging for an additional amount of Money to be given to me to fill the Gap but I will find out how much when I have spoken with him.

I absolutely loved the BMW S1000R's I have had, Enjoyed every Mile riding them but my options if I choose to buy another are limited. I wouldn't want one without a decent Warranty though as they can have mechanical issues, Maybe try an alternative BMW Dealer and ask to check all the Admin prior to purchasing the Bike.

Might end up with something totally different but I am not really in the mood to begin searching again for the 3rd time this Year.

Fair play. Sounds like the MD will do something. I really don't know how CMC can continue to survive with the way its run. 

Whats the mechanical issues they can have? 

Wow that's pretty atrocious behaviour but it seems to be becoming more common practice these days. 

Copper BMW in Sunderland are good, they have 2 RR Sport's in, both 1 owner.

My dad bought his current BMW from them and I know of a couple of people with bikes from them and they're nothing but good reports I hear. My dad had a couple of issues with his BMW and they're always very good to deal with them. It's the after sales that makes or brakes an experience in my opinion as they're all great when they're about to take your money.

58 minutes ago, fabiamk2SE said:

Fair play. Sounds like the MD will do something. I really don't know how CMC can continue to survive with the way its run. 

Whats the mechanical issues they can have? 

Well so i have read on the Owners Clubs...

Water Pump issues

: Camshaft Tensioners

: Coolant Loss on Bikes before 2016 due to the Header Tank Design

: Camshaft Wear issues

: Switchgear issues

: Fuel pump/Hot Start issues

Possibly some other issues I have forgotten about, Wouldn’t put me off buying another.

Some owners have done 30K hard Miles on then without an issue, Other have had major problems.

My issues although the Water Pump Failed are more Dealer issues rather than the Bike. 

• Like 1

Just to give an update on the BMW situation,

Ross the MD of CMC has offered me an additional £350 on top of what they have already given me for the BMW, I have accepted it although getting hold of him to organise how I want paying is proving difficult  :lol: 

After much thought I cancelled the Insurance policy on the BMW this Morning, I wont be replacing it this Year and may look at returning to Bike Ownership next Year.

Went out on the Fireblade Yesterday for a few Hours, My Dad keeps on badgering me to sell it to him and I have agreed. I will put a few more Miles on it before the end of the Season but that will be going too.

Ready for a Break from Bikes, Getting less enjoyment out of them as the time passes.

Hopefully as mentioned I will make a return next Year.

• Sad 1

Not strictly 'today', but I recently bought back my old 636 after getting the opportunity and went over to kidderminster to repatriate it. 

A lot of the black tatty bit's I removed from it, have found their way back on and I don't have the same original spares as some have been dumped 😞

The state of it but FML! Sometimes thing's seem a better idea in your mind than in reality. I passed on a utterly mint ZX9R F2P for this too.... Still dead chuffed though and after much cleaning and working at it, it's nearly back to how it should be. Got some new gear too and retired my fav old lid 😞 Bike has new brakes, carbs cleaned and balanced, valve clearances checked (bit of time there still to go), new tyres, heated grips and that's about it. Will be using it as it was originally purchased as a bit of a hack and handy for new job (new since I was last about here I think). 

Some before and after pics of that bike I bought all those years back on here as a temp stopgap wee hack as it was only bike for sale at time I could fit through the gate at side of house LOL 

ps. FUBAR is BACK! 

R1.jpg

B1.jpg

B2.jpg

B3.jpg

B4.jpg

A1.jpg

A3.jpg

A2.jpg

C2.jpg

C1.jpg

• Like 2

@FUBAR glad your back. 

It looks unloved before you’d cleaned it up and looking so much better for it. Hope you get the weather now to go and enjoy it. 

Edited by CWARD
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CWARD said:

@FUBAR glad your back. 

It looks unloved before you’d cleaned it up and looking so much better for it. Hope you get the weather now to go and enjoy it. 

Weather been not too bad the last few days apart from on Monday when I was on it last (not just as clean today). Working late shifts all week now don't want to wake the neighbours up at 05:30 in morning and not get home until it's dark on it. Next week is my final week before I have 2 weeks off, so will be able to get more time on it then. Currently going over it making a list of random bolt's and washers etc that are missing, doing my head in. 

The previous owner needs putting on a list of bikers banned from owning bikes. I’d thought about tracking down my old KTM 990 Supermoto as I’d spent so much time getting the performance and handling spot on. I know it has changed hands twice since I part ex’d it and d dread to see what condition it’s in now. 

17 minutes ago, CWARD said:

The previous owner needs putting on a list of bikers banned from owning bikes. I’d thought about tracking down my old KTM 990 Supermoto as I’d spent so much time getting the performance and handling spot on. I know it has changed hands twice since I part ex’d it and d dread to see what condition it’s in now. 

Was only ever a wee cheap hack and still is, although I am quite fond of it. I had sold it to an old mate who I bought my first bike off the day I passed my test and who had owned the exact same A1P model before (one of reasons I got it). Sold me my first one at much reduced mates rates and I did the same in return. Sadly he's in the early ish stages of getting divorced and being taken for everything in a very callas way. It was quite telling of how bad things have got when I saw the state it had gotten into in a very short period of time from when I'd seen it last a few months before. Main annoyance was massively over oiled chain pre ridding it from NI to England and wood being stored in the barn with it after he moved out before coming back to collect bike, a lot of messing about going on with all his stuff not chained down going walkies.

With carbs all done now, its running so sweet! Amazingly my lithium battery is still going strong in it :D

His old 636 and my old ZZR1200 on a tour back when.

IMG_20110703_125946.jpg

Edited by FUBAR