Diesel vRS mpg

Converted to your silly units I do an average of 42,30 UK MPG's over a long period (53 refuels in ±32.000 kilometers) since november.

That includes about half that on winter tyres and almost always using the block heater before running it (which preheats the engine so while it uses diesel to run it also saves it by not running a cold engine, ever).

I have a sporty driving style frequently topping 100mph but also a lot of longer drives (100+ mile stretches) when visiting customers, and a reasonable amount of congestion driving. 

I run heavily on motorways, in 10,000 I easily average 55mpg on all motorway trips, down to mid 40's when on A/B roads.  However run a bit quicker than the 75mph and the mpg's drop off.  If I do an eco run (lots of time and to see what it can do!!) I can get 65mpg if set at 65-70mph and drive without cruise, i find cruise less economical (it accelerates up all the hilss).

Converted to your silly units I do an average of 42,30 UK MPG's over a long period (53 refuels in ±32.000 kilometers) since november.

I was going to comment that we are on a british forum so we are the ones that have to adapt. But it is a bit of a hassle -I had to google several different web sites to be able to convert to mpg and mph...and uk version :-) . Is there any ultimate site to convert easily (and in one place)?

Or perhaps I should just switch the system units to british imperial units? :-)

I was going to comment that we are on a british forum so we are the ones that have to adapt. But it is a bit of a hassle -I had to google several different web sites to be able to convert to mpg and mph...and uk version :-) . Is there any ultimate site to convert easily (and in one place)?

Or perhaps I should just switch the system units to british imperial units? :-)

I just google "kml mpg uk" and find a site to use!

We just keep bugging them until they start seeing the light ;-).

I just google "kml mpg uk" and find a site to use!

We just keep bugging them until they start seeing the light ;-).

By the way - if you're going to use our "silly" units, you should probably write decimal numbers the British way too - with a full-stop rather than a comma :notme:   That is, "42.30 mpg" rather than "42,30 mpg".

I think the strange thing about the difference in units is not so much the use of imperial vs. metric units but the fact that we express consumption in terms of how far you can travel on a given quantity of fuel, whereas your units tell you how much fuel you'll use for a given distance.  To me the former is more interesting than the latter, but I once had a conversation with a European friend who felt exactly the opposite.   I honestly think I could more easily switch to km per litre than litres per 100km, because it seems the right way round to me.

Strange and interesting in an unimportant kind of way.

By the way - if you're going to use our "silly" units, you should probably write decimal numbers the British way too - with a full-stop rather than a comma :notme:   That is, "42.30 mpg" rather than "42,30 mpg".

I think the strange thing about the difference in units is not so much the use of imperial vs. metric units but the fact that we express consumption in terms of how far you can travel on a given quantity of fuel, whereas your units tell you how much fuel you'll use for a given distance.  To me the former is more interesting than the latter, but I once had a conversation with a European friend who felt exactly the opposite.   I honestly think I could more easily switch to km per litre than litres per 100km, because it seems the right way round to me.

Strange and interesting in an unimportant kind of way.

Funny you should say that because it úsed to be km/l here too. That indeed is something you can relate to. The l/100km rating is something were are confronted with at an increasing rate by automobile manufacturers.

I do give you (or rather, the imperial system) that it has more relatable units of measurement: one could visualize a 100 'feet' (even though feet differ in size) easier than 33 meters. And that's the main benefit of 'your' system.

• Like 1

How interesting!  In fact km/l would be particularly nice as it's easy to convert.  With an error of only 6%, you can say that 1km/l is 3 mpg (imperial).  2.85mpg would be more accurate but for many purposes the approximation of 3 to 1 would be perhaps be good enough.  It means my long term average of 42mpg would equate to about 14 km/l.  Very easy!

On almost all of the measuring devices I have posessed and/or used in my entire life so far, even though I was born, bred and raised in the Netherlands, I confronted with inches ánd centimeters (why we have that here is beyond me).

Even as a child this intrigued me, but whatever the length of said length-determining aparatus, and I've seen them up to 10 meters in length (you know them, those push-button-rollup things) did I find a point where both systems 'collided', as it were. All of the invidual markings on both sides (some printed on opposite sides, some adjecent to another) were always slightly phased, if you know what I mean. That gave me the realisation very early in life that the two systems are probably not compatible at all, meaning there is no length imaginable where one round measurement (as in, no decimals) divided by its equivalent in either inches or centimeters will give you a round number as a result. 

To make this completely off-topic post relevant to the thread again, I will go ahead and state that we do measure screen and rim sizes in inches here, and that I picked the 18" Silver Gemini's, so you can factor that into your mileage calculations.

The other night when I got home I noticed the car was doing a regen so I thought it would be rude not to take the car out for a drive and help finish the process. Twas a nice evening for a casual drive.

45 minutes and 60ish miles later I returned home. The mpg was down in the low 30s but the smile was set to max! I could smell the pain and punishment the brakes and tyres were subjected to. The funny elec diff is pretty impressive.

It is, isn't it :-). The biggest smile I get is when I spot people with obiously fast cars such as a Lotus Elise this week.

They try to make a run for it and are really surprised that after a few miles of almost flooring it that big hunk of black is still right on their tail. 

I'm getting 46mpg over 3000 miles of mixed driving.

This is calculated by tanking the car on every refill and inputting the details in to a app. I do a lot of short journeys which really does affect the MPG.

On almost all of the measuring devices I have posessed and/or used in my entire life so far, even though I was born, bred and raised in the Netherlands, I confronted with inches ánd centimeters (why we have that here is beyond me).

Even as a child this intrigued me, but whatever the length of said length-determining aparatus, and I've seen them up to 10 meters in length (you know them, those push-button-rollup things) did I find a point where both systems 'collided', as it were. All of the invidual markings on both sides (some printed on opposite sides, some adjecent to another) were always slightly phased, if you know what I mean. That gave me the realisation very early in life that the two systems are probably not compatible at all, meaning there is no length imaginable where one round measurement (as in, no decimals) divided by its equivalent in either inches or centimeters will give you a round number as a result.

These days in the UK most imperial units are defined using SI units. So 1 inch is defined to be exactly 25.4 mm. This makes one 1 mile exactly 1609.344 m, but the approximate ratio of 5 miles to 8 km is usually good enough. The gallon is defined to be exactly 4.54609 litres, which make 50 litres very close to 11 gallons (to within 0.014%), which is the size of the Octavia fuel tank, to bring this back on topic. Note that USA units are often different.

The 184 will rarely get anywhere near the claimed mpg but thats the case for most VAG TDI's.

My experience in a Golf GTD is that most of the time it will return high 40's/low 50's and actually given the power difference isnt a great deal worse than our 150 TDI Octavia.

It is noticably worse on v short runs though...perhaps a downside of the relatively high output tune or maybe the 184 just takes a bit longer to warm up I dunno?

For the performance on offer though the MPG is v respectable. Just dont expect it to be particularly great until it has a few K miles under its belt. My 150 TDI only started getting really good MPG once it got to about 20k miles...it now gives mid/high 50's on most mixed runs.

Depending on traffic my MPG can vary slightly but is almost always around the 50mpg average mark and I have done 17k of mixed driving. Busy commute normally ends up at high 40's, quieter commutes during school holidays for example usually give high 50's, with my highest being high 60's at 04:30 in the morning. Lots of pottering around town usually ends up with high 30's to low 40's. Even driving it hard usually gives me low to mid 40's and the only time I have seen it lower than that is after collecting it from the dealer after it went in for a rattle (drivers knee air bag), where it had done 20 miles and averaged 24mpg. They must have kicked its head in!

Ive done 500 miles since new, the computer says my over all is 49 mpg. This is just me driving as i always will, sometimes smooth sometimes in sport with the fooot down! Motorways, normal roads and 2 mile round trips to supermarket.

keep mine in SPORT and generally have a lead foot (mine's manual)...  i enjoy a nice long  3rd gear..more 'flexible' around my winding B roads... average about 45 mixed town / motorway fast cruise .

fully laden; family & accoutremounts on 50% a road 50% motorway. not hanging around. 47 odd... struggle to get her below about 40... very frugal really 

Edited by vanscm

Thanks everyone, I've booked a test drive for Sunday morning and hoping to order by the end of June if all goes well to get the 'free' sat nav.

i think they're almost all coming from the factory with the basic nav system now... 

Looks like the free Amundsen is no longer free as it isn't automatically added on the UK configurator now. It's back as a £755 option.. :(