Misfiring cylinder one

Sorry for starting a new posting, but just to make it clear that it seems that some "misfiring" has been reported in the past as being due to a faulty petrol injector, if you have a wet mess around injector for cylinder one, then it could be faulty or just have as suggested a u/s O-ring seal or two, so as well as for safety reasons, get that fixed as it could be why you are getting these misfires logged.

I/F = interface - in this case interface plate placed between TB assembly and the manifold, I think that later (maybe) engines to mine had modified TB assemblies that had that EGR valve pipe port built into the TB body, so did not need an interface plate to fit it to.

Edit again!:- yes it was the steel pipe than comes from the EGR valve that we are talking about, but it is usually in the TB or the I/F at the point where that pipe fits to that gets the worst gunge/blockage.

Edited by rum4mo

Got a tiny leak in that area myself on the Polo. Looks like it might be where the fan thermoswitch screws in, but I can also see it from outside (with bumper off), pink stains on one or two of the rad pipes, but they are below the thermoswitch, so may be just that, maybe both. Too slight to bother with for me yet though, maybe 100ml a month, tops.

The injector head for cylinder one seems okay, its cylinder 2 that is gunked up, but from my experience if cylinder 2 was acting up my engine would run very badly if at all.

Yeah, later engines have the EGR pipe, including its 'exit point' poking straight through a hole in the side of the inlet mani, below the TB.

Appears that's what I have here, pipe comes straight from the EGR valve to the inlet.

IMAG0085.jpg

IMAG0085.jpg

This is the first I've seen inside a t/b, anything to worry about?

The bit you've unscrewed from there is the throttle body; that is the top/entry to the inlet manifold. Grubby, but that's normal. Check that the various holes where breather pipe, pipe to brake servo, and pipe from purge valve come in, aren't blocked. That's the three at the back.

I'll give it another look through soon, just put it all back together as needed to head out somewhere. Anything else I could easily do while doing this? Ie map sensor etc? Would do injector heads but don't want to attempt it without new o-rings as one is clearly loosing its seal.

Yup, that big round one should go straight out to the (disconnected) EGR valve pipe, I was wrong in saying that there will be ferrules where the TB securing screws go, so take care as advised already as you really are screwing into plastic it seems.

It seems like there have been a few VAG updates on how this all goes together, you have an early model, so the EGR valve connects directly to the manifold, makes it easy when removing the TB assembly, wife's late 2002 car does not have that EGR port on the manifold - it has that on an aluminium alloy interface plate that gets fitted onto the manifold below the TB assembly, I think that the next change was to combine this EGR port within the TB assembly.

So, it looks like, if you are to be able to clean out the EGR valve port in the manifold, that you will need to go looking for the bolt for the support clamp for that pipe so that you can move it away enough to cover it up while you work on clearing out that port.

I found the bolt your speaking of, fairly easy to access on my model I believe, unless there's another hidden one? I've only heard of the one though not two of them. Just need to remove the pipe from the EGR end which will be hard without removing wiring as the bolt on the right side is awkward to access.

Your EGR pipe isn't blocked. If it were, it would be obvious from your picture.

For general reference: the OP's EGR pipe looks like this, all-in-one including the exit point seen in his photo.

Isn't there enough flex (at the convoluted section) after removing the support screw to pull that exit end out of the manifold?

So if I haven't a blockage at the inlet side of the EGR pipe it isn't worth checking the other end near the valve? Waiting for the rain to stop then I'm back out there to check the other inlets to the manifold.

I didn't remove the bolts from the valve side as they are awkward to access, I didn't want to remove the sensor to the valve as didn't know if itd mess things up.

Edited by Avante

So if I haven't a blockage at the inlet side of the EGR pipe it isn't worth checking the other end near the valve? 

Correct.

That end in your photo of the inlet manifold is what I'm calling the 'exit point' of the pipe, I'd bet a lot of money that any blockage would be there, not at the EGR valve end. A lot.

IMAG0089_zpswqretlju_edit_1436268095487_

IMAG0088_zpsnh6vuorm.jpg

I presume this shouldn't be connected to anything? Is it like a breather pipe or something?

Edited by Avante

No, no need to remove the other end of that pipe as long as you can ease it away from the inlet manifold after removing that single support clamp bolt, to get enough room to clear out the port for that pipe on the inlet manifold.

Warning, taking the front end of that pipe off can turn into a bit of a drama as I discovered - nothing to worry about removing the EGR's electrical connector though, just give yourself enough time if you really think that the front end needs to get taken off to move the rear end away as there is an adaptor on the EGR valve that sometimes is easier to remove with it - but I don't think that you need to do anything at the front end.

No, no need to remove the other end of that pipe as long as you can ease it away from the inlet manifold after removing that single support clamp bolt, to get enough room to clear out the port for that pipe on the inlet manifold.

Warning, taking the front end of that pipe off can turn into a bit of a drama as I discovered - nothing to worry about removing the EGR's electrical connector though, just give yourself enough time if you really think that the front end needs to get taken off to move the rear end away as there is an adaptor on the EGR valve that sometimes is easier to remove with it - but I don't think that you need to do anything at the front end.

Your right I managed by removing the securing bolt and two bolts at the manifold. Didnt need a cleaning though so use carb cleaner and a cloth to wipe the crap from around the seal where ring seal would sit, just to make sure its as air tight as it should be.

Just need to go out and locate map sensor now, check if it needs cleaning or not(?).

How would I go about cleaning the other pipes to the inlet?

IMG_20150707_130121_edit_1436270528760_z

Edited by Avante

I'm guessing from what you have written, that you did not clear the route that air takes into the manifold plenum area from that EGR valve pipe port, that is where I would expect any restriction/blockage to be.

I'm guessing from what you have written, that you did not clear the route that air takes into the manifold plenum area from that EGR valve pipe port, that is where I would expect any restriction/blockage to be.

The only pipe I looked at was the metal one from the EGR valve mate

Right, my tb is back off again. There is a pipe coming from near the coolant expansion tank, and one coming from the back of the engine to the inlet.

Also one that goes to the back of the bay, can't follow where it leads.

Edited by Avante

Damn weather, sat in car refreshing this page waiting for responses, occasionally looking up other threads and going out in the rain to look for blockages, sensors etc.

Just need to go out and locate map sensor now, check if it needs cleaning or not(?).

How would I go about cleaning the other pipes to the inlet?

IMG_20150707_130121_edit_1436270528760_z

Yup, that looks like MAP sensor. You don't need to clean those other pipes coming to the inlet manifold, just make sure that the holes into the manifold aren't completely covered by oily soot. They should be fine, but it's hard to see one or two of them well enough from your photo to be sure they aren't clogged.

Yup, that looks like MAP sensor. You don't need to clean those other pipes coming to the inlet manifold, just make sure that the holes into the manifold aren't completely covered by oily soot. They should be fine, but it's hard to see one or two of them well enough from your photo to be sure they aren't clogged.

I'll get a better picture, one moment.

IMG_20150707_132557_zpsuvhayllu.jpg

Edited by Avante