Please Recommend 1) a Dashcam and 2) Fitting near Nottingham :)

Hi Guys,

O3 - Scout - Estate.

Bit of a lazy post really, I'm going around in circles looking at dashcam threads, so I'd be grateful for suggestions and reasons for them.

I could probably fit myself - but I'd rather someone who knows what they are doing does it.

HiFi place near me seems insistent on road-angel kit "because it's the best" but couldn't actually give me it's spec when asked, which I'm not sure I like.

My Spec

Front and rear cams

Motion detection recording - hardwired with battery protection device so I can leave it on.

Shock-sensor so it starts if you get shunted and runs a while e.g shunted from the side, where motion detection didnt record them, but catches them driving off.

Shock sensor protection- so file doesn't get overwritten.
Fairly subtle - e.g behind wingmirror and out of the way at the rear.

Nice-to-haves

Removable for pushbike or motorbike use.
Plausible deniability - easy SD card removal

Not fussed about.

Screen - I can review footage on computer
GPS. Big Brother.

When my Mk1 was about 3 months old a guy ran into me whilst I was turning right, resulting in a 50:50 and a massive insurance hike. I want to guard against that again! Oh and get anyone bumping me in a carpark bang to rights!

• Like 1

Hi

I have  a Mi-Witness front and rear camera fitted does everything you are asking for its very good system, I have recorded loads of idiots on the road and recorded one crash between two cars which was used successfully in an insurance claim against a boy racer who tried to do a runner, its a uk firm and they have there own forum with lots of advice I fitted mine behind the rear view mirror real neat job it also has a power magic box if your battery voltage starts to drop i.e. parked for a long time it will close down to save the battery.

It also has a software programme with maps so you can review your video.

• Like 1

I firstly installed an E-Prance mini 0805 which overheated and failed within a day. Amazon replaced it but same result with no 2. Another refund! After more research and discussion with Mark Waddington at Car Camera Warehouse, he supplied a Hewlett Packard f800g which is brilliant and would meet all your specification. Admittedly it's more expensive and I just got one which I put in myself behind the rear view mirror. There's a thread about removing the glovebox on the Octavia to get to the fusebox and it's easier than you might think but I don't know if you need the same access on your car. The trickiest bit is re-latching the little stay. I'm now extremely expert at it.

The wire can be tucked in at the top of the windscreen then run inside the pillar cover to the fuse box. Mine is fed from a piggy-back fuseholder from the rear wiper fuse to a new freestanding cigarette lighter socket (hidden behind the removable cover at the left end of the dash) into which you put the power plug on the supplied camera wire (recommended to me to ensure the camera supply is to spec - make sure polarity is correct). This means the camera is on/off with the ignition. For a permanent supply obviously you'll need a fuse that's permanently powered or take the wiring to the power socket which on my car is near the gear stick and is always powered.

Highly recommend the camera and my supplier who put himself about to resolve some minor installation problems. Hope this helps.

I've been looking at a few recently. I like the features on the Thinkware F750 and it does everything you are after. It even has built in battery protection so no need for a seperate device. It is also reported not to cause DAB interference which some other systems do with rear facing cameras. The only thing I don't like is the front unit is a bit bulky for my liking. Info link: http://thinkware.com/Products/Dashcam/F750

The other I was looking at for a really discreet install is the Koonlung K1S but it puts me off having a battery which can be affected by the heat and it has very poor audio recording. Info link: http://www.koonlung.com/productview_33.html

I have found Dash Cam Talk to be a usefull source of information - http://dashcamtalk.com/ I guess it also depends what your budget is.

• Like 2

Is this easy ish to fit Andy?

I did a 'how to' post for fitting this camera in the "Show your Octavia dashcam setup" thread. It's pretty simple.

I'd love to be more helpful and post a link here for you but my phone seems to be playing up at the moment and I can't get it to work.

• Like 1

Having read the explanation, I think I'm happy to fit it myself as it doesn't require removing tricky bits of trim.

I'm going to wait until my paint issue is resolved before doing owt though.

I see Blackvue prices vary greatly, can anyone suggest a good value source?

Has anyone had any problems that were handled well or badly by the UK distributor? is the promise of better service a genuine one, or just a price-protection scam?

If you don't buy from an authorised reseller you won't have much in the way of warranty.....

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

True to an extent. You'll still have protection under law from the sale of goods act and some protection from a credit card purchase.

But also - If there's a 5% failure rate and I save 30% I'll take that chance.

Having read the explanation, I think I'm happy to fit it myself as it doesn't require removing tricky bits of trim.

I'm going to wait until my paint issue is resolved before doing owt though.

I see Blackvue prices vary greatly, can anyone suggest a good value source?

Has anyone had any problems that were handled well or badly by the UK distributor? is the promise of better service a genuine one, or just a price-protection scam?

Jono, I fitted a dash cam to my MkII, you can have a look when you come over.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Jono, I fitted a dash cam to my MkII, you can have a look when you come over.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Excellent - will do! Cheers!

Back to dealer tomorrow to discuss issues with paint imperfections. Once that's resolved, will start looking at doing bits and pieces to the car.

• Like 1

So, now I'm seriously considering a Blackvue 2-cam setup (probably next payday).

The no1 reason I want it is to catch anyone shunting my car and to provide evidence to an insurer to prove a no-fault claim.

I'm not over-keen on a GPS and speed logger in my own car, because at times I have found myself over the legal speed limit and don't feel the need to record this (let's not let this turn into a discussion of morality, society, law and acceptable risks - that's off-topic)

Can the GPS/speed recording be turned off?

• Like 1

So, now I'm seriously considering a Blackvue 2-cam setup (probably next payday).

The no1 reason I want it is to catch anyone shunting my car and to provide evidence to an insurer to prove a no-fault claim.

I'm not over-keen on a GPS and speed logger in my own car, because at times I have found myself over the legal speed limit and don't feel the need to record this (let's not let this turn into a discussion of morality, society, law and acceptable risks - that's off-topic)

Can the GPS/speed recording be turned off?

Got a DR550 2CH System in one of our cars, even on highest quality is still not good enough. Looked at 2 möbius cams?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk