Claim on track day insurance - Declare when renewing standard road insurance?

WookieeM

Processing a claim on track day cover now after my incident at Rockingham.

Good few quid on the claim.

Do I need to declare this claim when getting quotes on bog standard insurance?

ie is track and road insurance sperate and not linked.

Just need to do it right but not open up an 'excuse' for premium rise.

Keep it to experience or known facts, not what it should be :)

• Sponsor

Hi, the proposal form/quote questions normally ask 'Have you had any claims in the last x years, on any vehicle, regardless of fault?'

So I think you should volunteer the info and let your insurer pick the bones out of it.

• Like 1

• Sponsor

Just to echo what CK have said really, insurers ask for any accidents, claims or losses, on any vehicle, regardless of fault within the last 5 years - better to be safe than sorry. 

If you were to non-disclose it and the insurers find out, you could end up with either an additional premium to pay or worse still having the policy void for non-disclosure.

Dan

• Like 2

Hi, the proposal form/quote questions normally ask 'Have you had any claims in the last x years, on any vehicle, regardless of fault?'

So I think you should volunteer the info and let your insurer pick the bones out of it.

Just to echo what CK have said really, insurers ask for any accidents, claims or losses, on any vehicle, regardless of fault within the last 5 years - better to be safe than sorry. 

If you were to non-disclose it and the insurers find out, you could end up with either an additional premium to pay or worse still having the policy void for non-disclosure.

Dan

I am surprised as two fairly big insurance outfits, you have both not disclosed your own company's viewpoint on this matter.  ;)  And I am insured with one of you. :D

• Like 1

It was a racing incident that occurred at a track, and not on the public highway.

Standard vehicle insurance is for use and cover on a public highway.

However, others may choose to interpret this differently. The question when applying for an insurance quote is surely designed to attempt at calculating risk, associated with the insurance product being purchased.

I agree with Wardy on this, btw I have no experience on this just an opinion.

Consider this, you have a track only car that you do not insure or tax for use on the public highway, you do however have track day insurance and that car is damaged and you make a claim, would you have to declare that to the insurers of your road car?

Based on the need to declare, you could argue you should declare an on track accident even if you don't have track insurance and foot the bill yourself.

For me your Road insurance should be irrelevant as they wash their hands of you when you go onto a track.

Stewart

• Like 2

Consider this, you have a track only car that you do not insure or tax for use on the public highway, you do however have track day insurance and that car is damaged and you make a claim, would you have to declare that to the insurers of your road car?

That's two different vehicles then isn't it?  I don't see how insurance on one car, can affect your insurance on another vehicle, unless they were maybe linked by multicar or something, but then the track car wouldn't be as not road legal / used on highway? :)

That's two different vehicles then isn't it?  I don't see how insurance on one car, can affect your insurance on another vehicle, unless they were maybe linked by multicar or something, but then the track car wouldn't be as not road legal / used on highway? :)

Yes 2 different cars and although you can have separate no claims bonus on 2 cars with different insurers or multicar, the initial driver premium is still loaded before any no claims discount is applied, the question from the insurers is has the driver had any accidents fault or non fault in the last X years and as far as I know that would affect the premium of all cars that you were insuring. 

Like I said just my opinion, but I think it's wrong that on track activity that your road insurance won't cover can be affected, my example was deliberately a bit obtuse but I think still relevant.

Obviously the issue for the OP is knowing if claiming on track day insurance is logged on the road going insurance database? or are they separate. As already suggested by someone else the track day insurers should be best placed to answer that.

Stewart

• Sponsor

I am surprised as two fairly big insurance outfits, you have both not disclosed your own company's viewpoint on this matter.  ;)  And I am insured with one of you. :D

Apologies if I confused anyone, what I said was the procedure we would take....

We ask for any accidents, claims or losses, on any vehicle, regardless of fault within the last 5 years. So we would need to know about ANY, including track days.

Saying this, we are not saying that the premium would necessarily be loaded as we would treat each individual case separately - Every accident/claim/loss has a set of circumstances with it, so depending on exactly what has happened will be a factor as to whether or not there is a loading on the premium for the claim.

Regards,

Dan.

• Like 1

no, there is no need to declare that as its off road use and a separate policy for that off road activity.  You do not declare a travel insurance claim or a household insurance claim as they are unrelated.

I'm sorry but the above insurance brokers have given you duff information as an underwriter can only use information relating to the activity they are insuring. the relevance of trackday payout is of no concern to an insurer as there is no liability to them as they do not cover it.  But then i hardly expect any different when you look how uncompliant their own paperwork is, especially chris knott.  They have a lovely question that asks " is there anything else that you have not told us that would affect an underwriters decision"  lovely question which takes the **** out of disclosure rules and how the hell would an unqualified customer know the underwriting rules and risk factors of an insurer, they are just an end user and not the professional int he relationship.  Flies in the face of TCF rules big style

Insurers fall down a lot by asking non specific questions and the ombudsman service and FOS do not like that.  sooner the insurance industry is overhauled the better, despite years of FCA regulation they are still getting away with murder.

So to OP, you do not need to declare that accident unless the insurer clearly states which policies or types of policies it wants declarations for, until that point it is ok to assume that it relates to Road traffic claims.

• Like 2

Anyone who considers trackday driving and public highway driving to be vaguely similar for insurance purposes would not get my business.  There has to be a clear distinction between the two and no correlation should ever be made between what happens on the racetrack on a public trackday, and what happens on the roads. :)

Couldn't agree more Jason

• Like 1

Anyone who considers trackday driving and public highway driving to be vaguely similar for insurance purposes would not get my business.  There has to be a clear distinction between the two and no correlation should ever be made between what happens on the racetrack on a public trackday, and what happens on the roads. :)

Couldnt put this better myself. I started the thread thinking 'thats a silly question, of course they're not linked' and ended it gobsmacked.

Where's the cut off point? Road car on a track day needs to be declared so does track car thats still road registered? Or the exact same car but not road registered?

We ask for any accidents, claims or losses, on any vehicle, regardless of fault within the last 5 years. So we would need to know about ANY, including track days.

So, professional, semi-pro, even amateur racing drivers... who have accidents on a weekly basis, have to inform their car insurance company of every 'racing incident'?

That's just daft - what you get up in any vehicle on a race track shouldn't have any baring on one's car insurance. Would you want to know when I crashed my ride on mower into a tree or my radio controlled plane?

• Like 1

Have you had an accident in your ferrari kimi , we heard you damaged a Mclaren and  a Williams last year,so i'm afraid your premiums going up!  :clap:

• Like 3

• Sponsor

So, professional, semi-pro, even amateur racing drivers... who have accidents on a weekly basis, have to inform their car insurance company of every 'racing incident'?

That's just daft - what you get up in any vehicle on a race track shouldn't have any baring on one's car insurance. Would you want to know when I crashed my ride on mower into a tree or my radio controlled plane?

Hi,

We would ask for one to declare this due to the fact a trackday policy claim is highly likely to show up on the CUE database (Claims and Underwriting Exchange)

As I've previously said though, we would treat these on an individual basis so one should not assume it will go against them or increase their premium. 

Crashing a ride on mower into a tree or crashing a radio controlled plane would be claimed on some sort of household / gadget cover and would not show on a CUE database, but a trackday policy is still a motor policy so will need to be declared.

Regards,

Dan.

• Like 1

Hi,

We would ask for one to declare this due to the fact a trackday policy claim is highly likely to show up on the CUE database (Claims and Underwriting Exchange)

As I've previously said though, we would treat these on an individual basis so one should not assume it will go against them or increase their premium. 

Crashing a ride on mower into a tree or crashing a radio controlled plane would be claimed on some sort of household / gadget cover and would not show on a CUE database, but a trackday policy is still a motor policy so will need to be declared.

Regards,

Dan.

Dan i suggest you tell any client where this does happen so they can make a complaint to the insurer who listed the accident and has subsequently acted unfairly to that client.  Nice bit of compo there for anyone that is on that database for the wrong reason.

Well, I am glad that any track work I do is uninsured.  I can cover the cost of repairs to my own car in that scenario and would hate to end up actually having to be concerned at possible road premiums going up if I made a claim (on the unlikely scenario I actually take out a policy) for a trackday accident.

• Like 3

Hi,

Regards,

Dan.

This is the sentence I find hard to believe, or maybe i'm just a cynical old fart and insurance companies are not out to screw you over and raise premiums at any opportunity possible :think:

• Like 4

I think that the whole area is a minefield as an example what's me being hit in my car by a Hungarian articulated lorry 6 or so years ago got anything to do with me insuring a motorcycle however I had to disclose it and I'm sure that it had an effect on my premium or indeed my brother who hit a parked vehicle with the bucket of a company simons hoist and had that as a diclosed accident on his own car policy.

Both accidents totally unrelated but still of interest to insurers to earn an extra shilling!

Edited by Prykey
  • Like 1