Big Skoda Road Trip 2016 ?

BossFox

When Charlie and myself did the GTR one I have to say it worked better with two.

Partly due to splitting the driving, but partly because it was more of a laugh and easier to have banter over the radios. :D

Also reduces costs per car significantly.

For me it was getting out for toll tickets, paying tolls, parking tickets...

Don't get behind me ;-)

• Like 1

Do the economy version (Top Gear Challenge Style). Buy a Skoda estate car for a £500 budget, fire tools in back, take back seats out etc and sleep in it, then sell it when back with 2 or 3000 more on the clock. Get a bargain one and might go some way towards fuel if you can sell it on for more.  :thumbup:

Sounds a great idea! We should do that! :) Then the one that has opened its bonnet the least amount of times gets to go around the ring.

Edited by KangarooReviews2014
  • Like 1

For me it was getting out for toll tickets, paying tolls, parking tickets...

Don't get behind me ;-)

goRt, Get a Sanef toll token from here: https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/

They cost but it means everytime you go through a toll booth you can drive through them without getting out of your car. Also they only charge you the tolls you go through not the token it's self (but don't question me on that because I am not too sure).

I was going to take my Fiesta ST. :D

BossFox, I have a few questions:

- Would we eat altogether on the trip or would we go to separate cafes and bars to have our own meals?

- Does it matter what engine size we would take on the trip? I was going to take my 1.2 HTP 2006 Fabia, However my brother has his 1.9TD Fabia from around 2009. What would you recommend?

- I guess tools are essential! :D

- How do we get accross the channel, Would we be all together on the same shuttle? I have done it with my family several times and we have sometimes been separated on the shuttle (trian).

- Do we pay our ways (bit of a stupid question, I guess, yes!)

Kangaroo

Do the economy version (Top Gear Challenge Style). Buy a Skoda estate car for a £500 budget, fire tools in back, take back seats out etc and sleep in it, then sell it when back with 2 or 3000 more on the clock. Get a bargain one and might go some way towards fuel if you can sell it on for more. :thumbup:

Good idea but even that's stretching me right now with this knackered turbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

goRt, Get a Sanef toll token from here: https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/

They cost but it means everytime you go through a toll booth you can drive through them without getting out of your car. Also they only charge you the tolls you go through not the token it's self (but don't question me on that because I am not too sure).

BossFox, I have a few questions:

- Would we eat altogether on the trip or would we go to separate cafes and bars to have our own meals?

- Does it matter what engine size we would take on the trip? I was going to take my 1.2 HTP 2006 Fabia, However my brother has his 1.9TD Fabia from around 2009. What would you recommend?

- I guess tools are essential! :D

- How do we get accross the channel, Would we be all together on the same shuttle? I have done it with my family several times and we have sometimes been separated on the shuttle (trian).

- Do we pay our ways (bit of a stupid question, I guess, yes!)

Kangaroo

We may plan to eat together on a couple of nights, but generally you can do as you like.

I know not everyone likes big crowds when it comes to eating.

Engine size doesn't matter, we'll stick to speed limits so won't be an issue and we'll try to have planned fuel/ rest stops.

We can look to get a group booking for the euro tunnel, so meet in Folkestone in the morning.

It will most likely be included in the price.

As Richard has said, having a passenger works really well

• Like 1

It might also be an idea to team up with another car, I.e if they need to stop for fuel and you don't, you stop anyway, that way at least 2 cars will be together at any one time, so it will help with people not getting to split off from the group, if that makes sense?

As some know, i tend to drive around an a Fabia shaped RAC van so if i am there, and anyone needs mechanical assistance. I maybe able to help haha

One slight problem with a TG style camp in the back is, two people in a Fabia estate? with tools in the boot to? seems a bit unlikely lol. Probably be a Tent + Car for camping etc rather than sleeping in the cars

• Like 2

So if some are planning to do this TG style does that mean that some of the cars will arrive back home with bits missing and made of ply wood  and some people will have black eyes?

And someone will be unfortunate to have carp down one of there doors? :D

Definitely interested in this. I have some work colleagues based in Prague who may be able to help with some local knowledge. When I was over there recently I was told that there were some special public events at the factory in May this year. Not sure if this is an annual event but can ask my contact about this.

goRt already has a Sanef toll token as he's already done a Euro Trip recently. :)

Food would be up to the person, do your own thing, make up small groups etc...

Not everyone wants to be forced to eat with 30+ people every night.

Engine not important, as long as it can cruise at 80-90mph.

Tools up to you. I took a cloth and some window cleaner for my 23 year old Skyline, and a litre of oil.

We would get Eurotunnel, block booking included in cost with hotels for set fee to do the trip.

All food and fuel down to individuals.

GoRt was on the gtr tour too?