I need some advice - I am having major problems with my Octavia!!!

Aaquil

Please can someone help me out...since I have bought this 2002 Octavia 1.8T Elegance Hatch I have had nothing but problems.

Just a week or so after I bought the car the 'Check Engine' Light came on that was repaired under the Skoda Warranty.

Then Major problems started

1. Climate Control stopped working.

2. Central locking started popping up.

3. All the electrics went on the blink (Window, sunroof etc.)

4. A buzzing (shorting of circuits) sound started coming from the car when the radio was switched on or light switched on.

5. The Central locking when working was arming then disarming itself so I would find the car unlocked in the morning coming out to go to work.

6. The buzzer to warn that the lights were still on' when ignition was turned off was going on even though the lights switch was switch to off (all lights were off except the rear passenger side).

7. The car was hesitant and losing power suddenly when accelerating. To get power back I would have to take my foot off the accelerator then plant it down again.

It all happened one wet cold weekend driving to Birmingham...I contacted the car Supermarket which advised to take it straight to SKODA. I took it to them and was given a list of parts that needed replacing:

1. DV

2. Turbo Pressure Pipe (?)

3. Climate Control ECU

4. Cigarette Lighter

5. Fuse

I was advised that parts needed to be ordered. By the time the part arrived th SKODA Warranty ran out and the Car Supermarket Warranty kicked in that is when the problems started...

While I was waiting for the parts the Central Locking and the Rear Passenger Light problem (see above list) started. I mentioned that to SKODA on return they stated that they would have to look at the problem and gain permission from the Car Supermarket first. They started the work and stated that SKODA TECHNICAL had sent 5 pages of wiring diagrams stating that each of the circuits had to be individually checked. SKODA had totally stripped my dashboard down but guess what? The Car Supermarket said 'No' they were going to get their Auto Electrician to check and fix it once they had done their own Diagnostics. Imagine how I felt when the car was at the SKODA Dealership who had to contact SKODA TECHNICAL for help but now it was going back to a Car Supermarket to be repaired as well as being re-stripped down (the dash again). I kicked up a bit of a fuss they stated that Diagnostics were not covered by the Warranty and SKODA wanted to charged

If the faults were investigated by skoda before the warranty ran out surely they are obliged to carry out the work thats required? :confused:

That's as I understand is...if the faults have been logged with Skoda and then the warranty runs out, I believe they should still be covered by Skoda.

Ross can confirm one way or the other though.

i went to the car supermarket to look at a 1.820vt passat,they showed the car,i popped the bonnet and asked them to show me where the turbo was,and asked why it had a plastic inlet manifold?(it was a 1.8 20v N/A)

they had no clue what i was on about.i took my money elsewhere.i hope you get it sorted very soon.

I think that the dealer has to log/register the warranty work required with Skoda UK, ie get approval for it, before the warranty expires otherwise they will not get paid for doing the work after that date. But regardless of any manufacturer's warranty, the buyer of a used car has rights under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 which must be satisfied by the seller. See the DTI fact sheet below:

http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/cars.htm

Guys thanks ever so much for the helpful replies especially Denis you're a superstar.

I have added Goodyear Eagle F1 and a full interior and exterior protective coatings can I expect all the money that I paid for the car back?

Also what would be a reasonable replacement in terms of age, condition and mileage (2002 model with 26,000 miles).

If you intend getting rid then iirc the phrase you use with Car Supermarket is " you are in breach of contract as the car reg no. is not of merchantable quality under section 14 of the amended Sale of Goods Act 1979". Not sure what the time limit is from purchase date though. Are you in a union, aa rac ? usually have a legal dept for advice, even try Insurance company.

Sounds like some serious fault(s) with it, hope you get sorted

hth Karl

Right the Manager spoke to the Area Manager they will exchange the car like for like or I can choose another one. I relly wanted the Octavia I already have so he said that would be fine (1.8T 4X4 Elegance Hatch). I said the same year and similar mileage (26,000 miles) as well as Black, Blue or Silver. He said he would get his buying team to try to source one asap. He was quite quick in his replies to my call. Does that seem reasonable I'm pretty sure they do not want to give a refund. Anymore advice guys please?

Aaquil.

Right the Manager spoke to the Area Manager they will exchange the car like for like or I can choose another one. I relly wanted the Octavia I already have so he said that would be fine (1.8T 4X4 Elegance Hatch). I said the same year and similar mileage (26' date='000 miles) as well as Black, Blue or Silver. He said he would get his buying team to try to source one asap. He was quite quick in his replies to my call. Does that seem reasonable I'm pretty sure they do not want to give a refund. Anymore advice guys please?

Aaquil.[/quote']

Yes , get this offer in writing with them admitting that the car you have is no good , and set a time limit for them to source you a replacement. If they are not able to do this in say , a couple of weeks , then you want a full refund of all money paid.

Sounds like you'll be well rid of this one. I did a search for new threads started by you , and just about every one is "my car is broken"

Glad i wasn't on the pitch - sorry' date=' swimming pool :rolleyes: - got wet enough in the stand.

Can't say i've seen a yellow Furby vRS about though

ttfn Karl[/quote']

I watched the game on TV....Live in Harrogate so don't get to many games also work shifts....Good result though :thumbup:............Andy

Oh suger ...managed to post the same thing twice :doh:

Dr Zoidberg and Denis thanks for that...yep I have had some problems with the car!!! I am going to put together a letter mentioning the discussion I had with the Manager and send it to them.

Anyone else?

DO NOT hand deliver any correspondance either send it Recorded Delivery or Special Delivery that way you'll get proof that your letter was recd. Keep copies of any correspondance. Have you contacted your local Trading Standards Service for advice/assistance?

If you are paying by finance contact the finance Co as they also have a responsibility that the goods you have purchased are of saleable quality. Depends on the type of finance agreement.

Graham...

I am just putting together a letter now. I have not yet contacted Trading Standards as they are currently being reasonable saying that they will source me another Octavia of similar model, year and mileage. I actually paid for the car in full by a single 'Switch' Transaction. Am I being naive not contacting Trading Standards?

Thanks for the reply.

Aaquil.

You have to give them a fair chance to put right the situation , after all they could not be expected to have predicted all these faults before they sold you the car.

There is no need to contact TS yet other than possibly to ask advice , but do keep a written record of every problem , what has been done to the car , and everything that the dealers have told you in case you do need to resort to complaints and legal action

I have sent a letter to the car retailer via 'Special Delivery' I will give them a call tomorrow. CAD and Trading Standards gave me some advice.

I will see how it goes and keep you all posted thank you for all the input.

UPDATE...Checked and letter was delivered at 10.10am this morning. I have just called them, Manager was busy (?). Left a message got a call back from the Customer Services Lady who asked if Central locking still causing problems. I replied that I was not even driving the car as it was not secure (Central locking unlocking and going beserk). She said that it was best to bring it back to them so they can get it sorted (and sell it on to some other poor innocent). What should I do...if I take it back am I Legally shooting myself in the foot or something is it some kind of a trick? She seemed to mention it off the cuff and it does make sense. If I'm not drving it its better with them so if it get stolen its their problem.

What do you guys think?