The 280PS Thread

What are you getting when trying, and when pressing?

My cupra 280 manages 37-38 on a 70mph m way cruise, and 31 on a fast m way and caning A road run.

I don't pay much attention to consumption, but after 3000 miles the lifetime average consumption (maxidot) is showing 28 mpg.

I lost my "need for speed" a long time ago but my driving style is progressive rather than aggressive and the word conservative seldom appears in my vocabulary.

Only about ¼ of my mileage is motorway/dual-carriageway, the majority being rural (I do have a rather bizarre passion for undulating bendy roads).

I tend to use DSG Sport quite a bit, along with kick down, but I usually only use the paddles for downhill retardation.

• Like 2

I don't pay much attention to consumption, but after 3000 miles the lifetime average consumption (maxidot) is showing 28 mpg.

I lost my "need for speed" a long time ago but my driving style is progressive rather than aggressive and the word conservative seldom appears in my vocabulary.

Only about ¼ of my mileage is motorway/dual-carriageway, the majority being rural (I do have a rather bizarre passion for undulating bendy roads).

I tend to use DSG Sport quite a bit, along with kick down, but I usually only use the paddles for downhill retardation.

So, to sum up, you drive gently then..............

FWIW, I never use kick-down, but the paddles are my friends.

I must try to compare a 280 with my remapped Mk 2, I'm sure that it's better, but is it worth spending circa £23K?

Glad to see that you are enjoying your car, you only live once.

DC

• Like 1

It's called Roadcraft. I had it rammed down my throat for 30 years and was tested on it every 12 months!  :whew:

(and I'd recommend it to everyone)

I'll have a chat with a neighbour, he's a Met. Traffic Officer & seems to know what he's talking about.

Maybe it's great age, or no longer needing to be anywhere in a hurry since retirement, but we both drive

with less "verve" than we used to.  Worrying perhaps, but we still don't want to own "slow" cars, just don't

feel the need to drive quickly all the time.

DC

:yes:

:no:

Maybe PH or somewhere then, the name definitely rings a bell haha. Do have a nosey at ADHub, it's a small community of decent individuals (including some of ADs most respected coaches) with no trolling or nonsense. Quite a few current and ex Class Ones as well so you'll feel right at home. It was branched off from the old ADUK forum (if you know it) when it was sold to a commercial organisation, so it's very much a by the members for the members type place. You'll be made very welcome if you decide to pop in. I'm Rainmaker on there if you do decide to join us. :)

</shameless plug>

Just to keep this thread on topic, I'm still worrying about my incoming 220ps being able to get the power down. The Octy VRS seems to manage just fine, but even the diesel Superbs I test drove (with DSG) scrabbled the front wheels if you weren't careful. I really wish I could have opted for the 280 4x4.

Edited by Derv

I'm not sure I agree with this summmary, smoothly doesnt necessarily mean gently.  I think the clue is in "I do have a rather bizarre passion for undulating bendy roads.  I tend to use DSG Sport quite a bit, along with kick down..."

Safe, smooth, progressive driving maybe.  This is what I aspire to.

RBW.

So, to sum up, you drive gently then..............

• Like 1

I did the IAM course so understand where you're coming from. Tbh the limit point of most twisty undulating roads is way within the dynamic range of anything with 280bhp, so I figured diesel power is good enough in the absence of a truly great soundtrack, the 2.0 TSI being more gruff than sonorous. I also figured that the occasional descent into driving at the limit of grip envelope meant driving like a tit on a way to a long ban, so two reasons for going for eco over horsepower.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

It's called Roadcraft. I had it rammed down my throat for 30 years and was tested on it every 12 months!  :whew: 

(and I'd recommend it to everyone)

Dad was class one. Rospa gold standard and advanced driving instructor if I remember correctly. He did a course with the police and his instructor was a traffic guy called Elderkin or something similar.

It was many years ago but my dad taught me to drive. When I was 11 I could give a running commentary :-) Driving properly was a part of my dna. I think that's what happens when you do something from an early age.

• Like 1

Just to add ... My first car when I had just passed my test was a mint Mk2 Toyota Supra... The 2.8 wide arch model that I had lusted after since I was about 12 !

I drove it properly and enjoyed it when safe to do so. Dad never seemed to be worried about my first car having a fair bit of performance for the time.

I loved that car.... You hear so many horror stories these days about kids killing themselves when they start out driving.

• Like 1

Whoops, seem to have drifted off the 280 topic. Yes, I drive to the "system of car control", but I was really just trying to give some relevance to my 28 mpg reading in relation to my manner of driving as a comparison to the Cupra's effectively straight-line motorway figures.

Still, three important lessons I learnt from my favourite instructor: 1) If you hear the Goodyear Concerto, you read the bend wrong, 2) If it says WOLS in the road you've really messed up, and 3) Only a fool breaks the 2-second rule, but only a **** gets involved in a shunt.

• Like 3

When I was 11 I could give a running commentary

"I am driving a Škoda Superb 280. I am familiar with the controls and the handling characteristics of this vehicle. I am currently driving in a 30 mph speed limit. A glance at my speedometer shows I am travelling at... holy ****!" --- Yeah, I hated doing commentary.

• Like 2

"I am driving a Škoda Superb 280. I am familiar with the controls and the handling characteristics of this vehicle. I am currently driving in a 30 mph speed limit. A glance at my speedometer shows I am travelling at... holy ****!" --- Yeah, I hated doing commentary.

:D :yes:

Tbh the limit point of most twisty undulating roads is way within the dynamic range of anything with 280bhp, so I figured diesel power is good enough in the absence of a truly great soundtrack, the 2.0 TSI being more gruff than sonorous.

Good point. I wonder whether I’ll still agree with that once my 280 has arrived in a couple weeks (sitting in Emden – still driving the 190 in the meantime). Having said that, I don’t find the mileage even the 190 does that brilliant; certainly poorer than my previous 170. Oh well, the 280 is and was meant to be an indulgence.

Edited by eurotraveller
  • Like 1

Just to add ... My first car when I had just passed my test was a mint Mk2 Toyota Supra... The 2.8 wide arch model that I had lusted after since I was about 12 !

Off topic again: I had one of those!! – in blue. Just loved it (mainly for the look) … until I took it onto the autobahn and found its performance was distinctly average. At one point I just couldn’t shake a Merc 200E.

• Like 1

Off topic again: I had one of those!! – in blue. Just loved it (mainly for the look) … until I took it onto the autobahn and found its performance was distinctly average. At one point I just couldn’t shake a Merc 200E.

Yeah not the fastest car.... Unless you had just come from 1.1 Fiesta lol ! Performance figures were 0-60 in 8.1 and 130+ top end. Lovely and smooth though.

Handled very well. Toyota at that time were working in collaboration with Lotus so the Supra shared parts with the Excel.

Edited by Nick_H

I'm not sure I agree with this summmary, smoothly doesnt necessarily mean gently.  I think the clue is in "I do have a rather bizarre passion for undulating bendy roads.  I tend to use DSG Sport quite a bit, along with kick down..."

Safe, smooth, progressive driving maybe.  This is what I aspire to.

RBW.

Sorry, it was meant to be funny, the dots....................are supposed to indicate this.

( I hate written conversations, much prefer to "hear the voice".

DC

Just to keep this thread on topic, I'm still worrying about my incoming 220ps being able to get the power down. The Octy VRS seems to manage just fine, but even the diesel Superbs I test drove (with DSG) scrabbled the front wheels if you weren't careful. I really wish I could have opted for the 280 4x4.

I've driven the 220 ps & I don't think you'll have a problem. 

Seemed to be slower than my current Mk 2.

Even in "S" you can depart quite rapidly if you modulate the throttle gently. 

DC

• Like 1

Just a quick question guys, and it's about the 220ps not the 280ps. Sorry, but since so relatively few of us have gone 'big petrol', both engines' owners seem to have defaulted to this thread anyway. I just noticed that the main Škoda website lists the 280 4x4 as wet dual clutch DSG, but for the 220ps SE-L Executive it's showing dry clutch. Is this (another) Škoda mistake or have I missed something? :notme:

Just a quick question guys, and it's about the 220ps not the 280ps. Sorry, but since so relatively few of us have gone 'big petrol', both engines' owners seem to have defaulted to this thread anyway. I just noticed that the main Škoda website lists the 280 4x4 as wet dual clutch DSG, but for the 220ps SE-L Executive it's showing dry clutch. Is this (another) Škoda mistake or have I missed something? :notme:

Propably a mistake since dry clutch box (which by the way has 7 gears) has a lower torque limit (250 Nm; sorry I only understand the metric system) than 220ps requires.

• Like 1

Propably a mistake since dry clutch box (which by the way has 7 gears) has a lower torque limit (250 Nm; sorry I only understand the metric system) than 220ps requires.

Thought so. I was just making sure nothing had changed since I ordered. I was pleased to be getting the wet 6 rather than dry 7 (though Audi's wet 7 would probably have been even better lol). When I noticed the Škoda site was advertising it as dry clutch I had a wtf moment. Thanks. :)

• Like 1

Hi, I've had longish test drive in a 220 last year, & I can confirm that the DSG is the 6-speed, wet clutch unit, with the wide-ratio gearset, as per the Octy3 vRS.

Page 40 in the 2016 superb brochure confirms the above..............

HTH, DC

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's the same gearbox as mine as well Derv ...

I kinda think the gear ratios on your 280 might be different (close-ratio) to the 220, but I'm not too sure where to find accurate info.

From memory, a with only very short time on the M25 during my 220 test drive, 60 mph was approx 1900 rpm,

If anyone here with either variant could post how many rpm at 60 mph, that would be useful.

TIA, DC

• Like 1