The 280PS Thread

Hi guys posted on here 9 weeks ago about the fact that I had ordered a Superb 280 l and k in moon white with a host of extras,glad to say I have taken delivery and am delighted with the car and the fact that it came with a saving of over £7000 when bought throu a broker is a big bonus the broker was brilliant and kept me informed all the way ....the car actually came earlier than originally stated which was another bonus as a local Skoda dealer quoted 16 weeks

• Like 3

Hi guys posted on here 9 weeks ago about the fact that I had ordered a Superb 280 l and k in moon white with a host of extras,glad to say I have taken delivery and am delighted with the car and the fact that it came with a saving of over £7000 when bought throu a broker is a big bonus the broker was brilliant and kept me informed all the way ....the car actually came earlier than originally stated which was another bonus as a local Skoda dealer quoted 16 weeks

Which broker did you use? I've looked at drive the deal and they were offering over £4k off list, so if I could get anywhere near £7k I'd be happy!

The Broker was Versus Vehicle Management in Kidderminster and was on the ball as soon as the £1000 deposit was paid. My local dealer here in Northern Ireland quoted £39000 and a much longer wait the price I paid was £31885 it was a no brainer

Had a long drive in mine yesterday down to Devon, 250 miles each way, left at 11.30am got back at 10.30pm, 5 hours driving down with a trailer on the back, 1-1/2 hours to load up, 4-1/2 hours to get back, just stopping for fuel twice, ............stepped out of the car as fresh as I left.

28mpg at the legal limits but easy to overtake the trucks on the wiggly bits even with a fully loaded (and I mean fully loaded!) car and trailer, what a great car!

Edited by philsmith
  • Like 3

I think that all things considered I have been very lucky to have recieved the car in such a short delivery time and built to my spec absolutely brilliant car by the way...my last new Skoda was in the early 80s and cost just £2300 they sure have come a long way

• Like 1

Slightly off topic.... Apologies ... My first experience with whatthebutlersaw was when I was about 6 at Blackgang Chine on the Isle of Wight. Have to say after sneaking a look when no one was looking I was a bit disappointed lol !

Here I am at said place with my dearly missed Dad :-) Good times ...

post-4502-0-77146500-1476815866_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nick_H

1000 miles of careful "Rainmaker" running in done so I thought why not try the full metal jacket mode....oh yes I likey. I likey a lot.

• Like 3

Have you tried launch control Phil ?

Launch control is awesome, leaves all other unsuspecting  cars on your rear view mirror standing still when you took off from red light when it turns green. 

Had a long drive in mine yesterday down to Devon, 250 miles each way, left at 11.30am got back at 10.30pm, 5 hours driving down with a trailer on the back, 1-1/2 hours to load up, 4-1/2 hours to get back, just stopping for fuel twice, ............stepped out of the car as fresh as I left.

28mpg at the legal limits but easy to overtake the trucks on the wiggly bits even with a fully loaded (and I mean fully loaded!) car and trailer, what a great car!

Q?

In your opinion, is it the power or the torque making it easy to pull a trailer & overtake?

Our mini-Superb (Golf R........) isn't likely to tow anything, but it seems to scoot away from a standstill without needing to shift-up at high rpm's.

O.T. We've just returned from a holiday in Cyprus & after driving a 2009'ish 1.6 petrol Focus with a 4-speed slushbox our cars seem to be too fast for us!

Cyprus can be quite hilly & i've never spent so much time in 2nd gear with my right foot buried in the carpet.........

If you ever visit the island, avoid Dollar / Thifty, it's a local cheapo franchise, & much worse than their N. American operations.

DC

In your opinion, is it the power or the torque making it easy to pull a trailer & overtake?

I'm not very technical so don't know the difference, all I know is with a fully loaded car and trailer the car did not seem appreciably slower when you needed power, just drank more fuel!

In simplistic terms horsepower will give you speed and acceleration while torque will give you grunt.

Torque (grunt) is what you need when carrying a heavy weight, pulling something like a trailer or going up steep inclines.

For example, it was horsepower that allowed me to cruise at over 150 mph on the autobahn but it was torque that got me up the alpine roads without having to slow down or keep dropping down the gears.

To partly answer DC's question - if you had to give a bit of welly to overtake you are relying more on horsepower, but if you could cruise past with little extra effort from the car and no sensation that the trailer was holding you back, then it was torque.

Of course in the real world both play a part and one can't exist without the other, so it's never black & white.

And another quote by Röhrl which is probably more pertinent to the mentioning of launch control above...

Good acceleration is when the tears of excitement flow horizontally to your ears.

But also remember a quote attributed to Juan Manuel Fangio...

Driving fast on the race track does not scare me. What does scare me is the idiot on the public road who drives too fast because he thinks he is Fangio.

It's called driving dead fast