Broker orders cancelled by Skoda UK

Separate thread to track orders through broker cancelled by Skoda UK and coordinate consumer action to pressure Skoda if they refuse to deliver.

Story: Apparently Skoda UK doesn't like brokers supplying cheaper cars to public and wants to end this.

In the process, they intend to cancel orders which have been placed months ago, cars have been built, transported and scheduled for delivery. 

While it is understandable if for some reason Skoda doesn't want to sell cars discounted too much, it doesn't make sense to refuse to fulfil orders already placed - not to mention built, with the dealer and scheduled for delivery - no one gains and this would be a lot of bad press for Skoda.

If confirmed, this should be escalated through trading standards and media. Hopefully this won't go there and Skoda fulfils all the orders 

So far the following users have reported cancellations:

• carl12 - NCD
  • firebits - NCD
  • UncleWang - NCD
  • Like 2

Separate thread to track orders through broker cancelled by Skoda UK and coordinate consumer action to pressure Skoda if they refuse to deliver.

Story: Apparently Skoda UK doesn't like brokers supplying cheaper cars to public and wants to end this.

In the process, they intend to cancel orders which have been placed months ago, cars have been built, transported and scheduled for delivery. 

While it is understandable if for some reason Skoda doesn't want to sell cars discounted too much, it doesn't make sense to refuse to fulfil orders already placed - not to mention built, with the dealer and scheduled for delivery - no one gains and this would be a lot of bad press for Skoda.

If confirmed, this should be escalated through trading standards and media. Hopefully this won't go there and Skoda fulfils all the orders 

So far the following users have reported cancellations:

• carl12 - NCD
  • firebits - NCD
  • UncleWang - NCD

Tried calling NCD on 5 separate occasions between 10-12 when they are supposed to be open....no answer! As previously mentioned my car was still on for delivery to supplying dealers for the 1st June according to my last update on Tuesday, so obviously built to my specification and in the country....just doesn't make sense to me, if they don't do the decent thing....Good Morning Britain, Daily Mail, The Sun, What Car, Vogue and Jackie here I come, to name just a few!!!!

• Like 2

Tried calling NCD on 5 separate occasions between 10-12 when they are supposed to be open....no answer! As previously mentioned my car was still on for delivery to supplying dealers for the 1st June according to my last update on Tuesday, so obviously built to my specification and in the country....just doesn't make sense to me, if they don't do the decent thing....Good Morning Britain, Daily Mail, The Sun, What Car, Vogue and Jackie here I come, to name just a few!!!!

NCD is suppose to get back regarding my order on Tuesday (they are off on bank holiday Monday) - in the meantime Superb is gone from their site.

Let's hope for the best, but if that doesn't happened, we'll make sure there is a proper media coverage.

We did talk to NCD when we were considering a Superb, I'm glad we decided to go elsewhere!

I really do sympathise for anyone who was expecting their new wheels, especially if the car is built & in-country, I hope you do receive them ASAP, or at least get your deposits returned.

DC

We did talk to NCD when we were considering a Superb, I'm glad we decided to go elsewhere!

But if this really is Skoda refusing to supply then surely it will apply to all discount companies???

But if this really is Skoda refusing to supply then surely it will apply to all discount companies???

Who knows? As gizmo said on another thread it might be that NCD have done something specifically to violate Skoda's terms, whilst others haven't.

The fact it only seems to be Superbs is very odd indeed. This morning Superbs were still up on there but they went late morning today. So why is it ok to still offer other Skoda models, but not the Superb? It does make it seem like it's some specific issue to do with the Superb and NCD, at least at the moment.

The thing I can't get my head around is that surely anyone who has placed an order and paid a deposit should have their order honoured, whether it's built yet or not. Whilst it's true that legally no one is obliged to sell anyone anything but if an order has been placed and a deposit paid and contract signed, I'm pretty sure that constitutes a legally binding contract.

Who knows? As gizmo said on another thread it might be that NCD have done something specifically to violate Skoda's terms, whilst others haven't.

The fact it only seems to be Superbs is very odd indeed. This morning Superbs were still up on there but they went late morning today. So why is it ok to still offer other Skoda models, but not the Superb? It does make it seem like it's some specific issue to do with the Superb and NCD, at least at the moment.

The thing I can't get my head around is that surely anyone who has placed an order and paid a deposit should have their order honoured, whether it's built yet or not. Whilst it's true that legally no one is obliged to sell anyone anything but if an order has been placed and a deposit paid and contract signed, I'm pretty sure that constitutes a legally binding contract.

If it was the other way round and I suddenly pulled out, I'm damn sure I would lose my deposit!

Also, regarding these cancelled orders.....what about people that have just or just about to sell their old cars due to the supposedly immanent arrival of their new Superb, or even some people must have taken out some financial arrangement/ PCP or the like....surely they must be out of pocket! and people who have already bought accessories for their cars! Luckily I have bought and done nothing, because I'm boring like that...just as well. 

• Like 1

It's a legally binding contract but that doesn't mean the company must deliver, legally they have the option to cancel (just as consumers do) and refund the deposit - there's no way legally or otherwise they can be forced to supply the original car.  In some contracts there would be payment from the breaching party to the non-breaching party to compensate for losses suffered but that's not the case here aside from possibly a small payment for the inconvenience.  I've not seen anything more than that, if anyone has any examples of a similar situation with a different outcome I'd be interested to hear it.

The title of the thread is broker orders but has anyone had orders cancelled from any other companies?  I've seen similar from other brokers who were bulk buying fleet orders and selling to consumers which manufacturers also stopped and people ended up with no cars but I don't recall any other outcome than people getting their money back.

I am surprised though that the orders would be cancelled so late on, there's clearly a lot more to this going on behind the scenes.

John

^^^

I agree with the above. You don't have a contract with Skoda so no direct links there to hang your hat on.  It must be a terrible place to be and I do sympathise but I doubt there will be any resolution that will satisfy you unless they (Skoda) do somehow come up with a 'goodwill' gesture and supply those that have actually been built and left the factory.

If your hasn't been built then better start looking for another supplier.  :@

Some example clauses from such contracts. What does your say??

b. If we fail to supply the vehicle to you because of a failure on our part to carry out our obligations under our contract with you (or if you exercise your right to cancel as set out in Section 9) we will of course return your deposit and will be under no further liability whatsoever to you. Otherwise, deposits are non-refundable.

The Company accepts no responsibility for any losses or damages arising from the failure to supply any vehicle.

And one that I bet most have never recognised before.

Any order that has been submitted by you is submitted on the strict understanding that you accept and agree that any contract that exists between the company and yourself remains confidential and that you will not disclose any vehicle purchase details to any person directly or indirectly connected or involved in the motor trade.

All of the orders that have been cancelled but with the cars built and probably already in the country waiting for despatch will now be sold from main dealers. So someone here whose car was cancelled on him/her will probably find that 'their' car is on sale in the next few days/week. Start making phone calls!

All of the orders that have been cancelled but with the cars built and probably already in the country waiting for despatch will now be sold from main dealers. So someone here whose car was cancelled on him/her will probably find that 'their' car is on sale in the next few days/week. Start making phone calls!

In my case, no chance....they are bound to want full price for it (£37k) instead of the £29k I was going to pay....so basically Skoda can "get bent" as far as I'm concerned.

Had a look at a CX5 today.....may well go for that!...will wait and see what happens in the next week!

In my case, no chance....they are bound to want full price for it (£37k) instead of the £29k I was going to pay....so basically Skoda can "get bent" as far as I'm concerned.

Had a look at a CX5 today.....may well go for that!...will wait and see what happens in the next week!

Spot on. I won't go anywhere near Skoda if they go ahead with cancellations.

Ultimately, i will miss this forum if i do go "foreign", You lot are helpful, knowledgeable and humourous, unlike other forums I have been members of in the past....BMW- downright rude and aggressive, Mazda- hardly anyone ever posts and never got a reply to mine, and VW (Beetle) not much activity there either!....will just wait and see.

• Like 2

Hey guys. So, is it only NCD and is it just straight purchases of new cars? I'm hoping to lease an L&K from Jet finance. It was a cancelled order so is built but not yet in the country. Not quite clear on the exact circumstances/criteria leading to cancelled orders. Any thoughts welcomed.

If Skoda are cancelling orders for Companies that are selling there cars cheaper than a dealer, so they are "forcing" people to pay the "list price" ... then this could be classed as price fixing which, as far as I know is illegal.... 

• Like 1

If Skoda are cancelling orders for Companies that are selling there cars cheaper than a dealer, so they are "forcing" people to pay the "list price" ... then this could be classed as price fixing which, as far as I know is illegal.... 

Very good point, I'll add this to the original post once we know more on Tuesday:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/report-anti-competitive-or-market-issues-to-the-cma

• Like 1

No it couldn't - it would be price fixing if Skoda had agreed with several other companies to set certain prices and none of them would compete with each other.  I don't know what has been happening in the background but the implications are the broker have been ordering cars in a way they shouldn't have been doing from Skoda otherwise I can't see why Skoda would pull the plug so drastically on it.

John

Edited by JohnMcL7
  • Like 1

This is my first post and have to say I'm gutted. I took the plunge and ordered a top of the range Estate just a week ago with NCD, went on there website a short while ago and apon seeing the Superb range removed my concerns quickly brought me to this forum and to read this news. That will teach me to brag to friends and family about the luxury limo I've just purchased with a massive discount without which this purchase couldn't have been made.

I've also just looked on the UK car discounts website and if memory serves correct, their price discount was just slightly less. They are now showing zero discount and selling at rrp.

I've just retired and am taking a tax free lump sum from my pension to pay for what was going to be my first (and only) brand new car, behaving like an excited child waiting impatiently for the lead time of sixteen weeks to pass quickly. Completely peed off but my sympathies go to those expecting to take delivery any time soon.

This is my first post and have to say I'm gutted. I took the plunge and ordered a top of the range Estate just a week ago with NCD, went on there website a short while ago and apon seeing the Superb range removed my concerns quickly brought me to this forum and to read this news. That will teach me to brag to friends and family about the luxury limo I've just purchased with a massive discount without which this purchase couldn't have been made.

I've also just looked on the UK car discounts website and if memory serves correct, their price discount was just slightly less. They are now showing zero discount and selling at rrp.

I've just retired and am taking a tax free lump sum from my pension to pay for what was going to be my first (and only) brand new car, behaving like an excited child waiting impatiently for the lead time of sixteen weeks to pass quickly. Completely peed off but my sympathies go to those expecting to take delivery any time soon.

Believe me, I know how you feel....I was paying cash for the top model estate with a huge discount and my delivery was immanent, so obviously made and in the country, and had an email on Friday saying it was pulled by Skoda.....initially gutted, but now VERY angry!

• Like 1