The 280PS Thread

56 minutes ago, DBT85 said:

So I bought it. Did all the stuff, got a PX I was happy with (was expecting a lowball). Finish up and pay, do the last bit of paperwork. All set to leave.

Then the guy who helped out my assistant with the sale comes back and goes,"Oh by the way, that car has a *mumbles*box on it". I said "Pardon?". He says "Yeah its got the box in it that makes it go 350hp, the MD (whos demo car I bought) likes them so got it added".

No idea what box, who makes it or what its actually pushing. But yay. 

Now I need to do some research on VDCS and adding paddles should I go that route. Also, whos box is it, what does it do and will I be able to drive past a petrol station. ha.

The paddles are useful - but not always! Being on the steering wheel and rotating with the wheel, they are only useful when the steering is reasonably straight ahead. No good when there is a lot of lock on as you can't find them, and if the wheel is upside down you may press the wrong one. Pushing the gear lever left and doing it that way is more foolproof, but less convenient some of the time.

Its a pity you didn't negotiate the paddles / MFS as part of the deal. I found the perfect L&K 280 - perfect in that it had a towbar, paddles etc. But with the towbar out, there was a big expanse of plastic just waiting for me to reverse into a drawbar - I really wanted the reversing camera. Anyway, they retrofitted it for me - at some extra cost, obviously, but all part of the negotiation. It's great!

1 hour ago, DBT85 said:

So I bought it. Did all the stuff, got a PX I was happy with (was expecting a lowball). Finish up and pay, do the last bit of paperwork. All set to leave.

Then the guy who helped out my assistant with the sale comes back and goes,"Oh by the way, that car has a *mumbles*box on it". I said "Pardon?". He says "Yeah its got the box in it that makes it go 350hp, the MD (whos demo car I bought) likes them so got it added".

No idea what box, who makes it or what its actually pushing. But yay. 

Now I need to do some research on VDCS and adding paddles should I go that route. Also, whos box is it, what does it do and will I be able to drive past a petrol station. ha.

I have a spare steering wheel with paddles from an L&k if of interest and I can also code them with vcds for you. 

41 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

The paddles are useful - but not always! Being on the steering wheel and rotating with the wheel, they are only useful when the steering is reasonably straight ahead. No good when there is a lot of lock on as you can't find them, and if the wheel is upside down you may press the wrong one. Pushing the gear lever left and doing it that way is more foolproof, but less convenient some of the time.

Its a pity you didn't negotiate the paddles / MFS as part of the deal. I found the perfect L&K 280 - perfect in that it had a towbar, paddles etc. But with the towbar out, there was a big expanse of plastic just waiting for me to reverse into a drawbar - I really wanted the reversing camera. Anyway, they retrofitted it for me - at some extra cost, obviously, but all part of the negotiation. It's great!

Oh yeah I know. Frankly I mighty fancy them when I'm on a straight bit and need to drop a few to pass someone. I've had a DSG for the last 6 years so I'm well used to tapping left and tapping back. Would just be nice to not have to remove my hands from the wheel. Though going from the 1.8TSI 160 to the 2.0 280, things might be a bit more urgent anyway!

I thought about haggling to get the paddles added but as so many dealers are a bit clueless I just figured I'd rather get it done by someone who I know knows what they are doing. The wheel in there is the heated 3 spoke multifunction already so its not missing much. As I said, quite a big spec. I think its missing the smokers pack, and about 3 other things that weren't on my list anyway.

26 minutes ago, superbtte said:

I have a spare steering wheel with paddles from an L&k if of interest and I can also code them with vcds for you. 

That could come in handy!

Sorry to DP, but that's life.

Money is in transit from Zopa/my Tesco CC to fund the purchase. Fortunate enough to be 32 with no mortgage and a decent wage otherwise I'd never have done anything like this.

Just got a call from my dealer. Car had a chip in the windscreen so they are replacing the whole thing which because its heated and has the cameras it takes a bit longer to calibrate or something. It's being done Tuesday so it might now be Thursday that I collect.

The magic box they've put it it is from Steinbauer (all the execs get them put in their demos apparently, lucky me!). I have no idea if they are any good, a rip off, make engines explode etc or whatever. Now it's time to have a punt around and see what I can find out.

Also need to find someone midlands ish to do a protective detail.

21 minutes ago, DBT85 said:

The magic box they've put it it is from Steinbauer (all the execs get them put in their demos apparently, lucky me!). I have no idea if they are any good, a rip off, make engines explode etc or whatever. Now it's time to have a punt around and see what I can find out.

Also need to find someone midlands ish to do a protective detail.

Steinbauer are a reputable company and their earlier digital tuning boxes (for older PD cars) were highly sought after.

If Northampton isn’t too far than dooka is very good. 

17 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Steinbauer are a reputable company and their earlier digital tuning boxes (for older PD cars) were highly sought after.

If Northampton isn’t too far than dooka is very good. 

Ahh thanks Gizmo, gives m a little peace of mind that its not just an ebay POS.

Need to get on to the insurance and see what the damage is going to be. Quite pleased that they only wanted about an extra £40 for a year with the new car considering the power and the age of my current one. This box might change things though.

Just had a look at Dooka. About 90 mins away but needs 2 days which would be a pain that far away.

There's beautechnique somewhere in the midlands (seems to be a secret batcave unless you're booked in) and I've also seen Extreme Gleam are not too far away. Need to find out more.

Done some googlefu and sorted out quotes for gap insurance (£295 for 5 years and the full £33500, easy decision. Skodas own is £400 and only 3 years), a new car prep detail and SiRamik Diamas coat as I'll be keeping the car until it dies (£450+£400) and I've run some sums on whether to bother with Regular or Super Unleaded and despite my "shoulda got a diseasal" mileage, the costs are not anything to worry about even if it only gets the exact same mileage. It should improve it a tiny bit so even better still.

Now of course I can't find the last MOT cert for my current car.

EDIT: and in the process of looking for it my 150 piece socket set empties on to the floor. Best.Day. Ever.

Edited by DBT85

Hi guys, just have question, anyone hear anything about vRS version of Superb?? Looks like skoda will hit market with Kodiaq vRS and possible Karoq, so family of sport models will grow. Superb 280 it's very quick and i love it, however 300hp+ rs version would be nice :)

PS. Just done service no 3 on mine, 10 months old and 23000km covered. Changing now everything, including oil in haldex. Not a single fault so far. 

Apart from the map, what else would they change? We already know the 280 can push more with a map.

Nice to see someone doing mileage similar to what I'll be doing :D 

Had a lush drive down to work this morning. 112 miles of A46/M40/M25/M4. Nice just wafting along and occasionally using the loud pedal to clear it's throat.

Incidentally, I had a Sportline 280 for about 8 hours on Tuesday while my cameras were being re-calibrated. So much stuff missing that I'd already gotten used to.

Anyway, the Sportline still had the Steinbauer box fitted that I've had temporarily removed from mine. The video I have of a launch with it fitted puts a 0-60 (65 on the dial) at 5.5 seconds. Lightly damp surface.

8 minutes ago, DBT85 said:

Had a lush drive down to work this morning. 112 miles of A46/M40/M25/M4. Nice just wafting along and occasionally using the loud pedal to clear it's throat.

Incidentally, I had a Sportline 280 for about 8 hours on Tuesday while my cameras were being re-calibrated. So much stuff missing that I'd already gotten used to.

Anyway, the Sportline still had the Steinbauer box fitted that I've had temporarily removed from mine. The video I have of a launch with it fitted puts a 0-60 (65 on the dial) at 5.5 seconds. Lightly damp surface.

Yes the Sportline may look a bit flashier on the outside, but the L&K is much better inside.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PSM said:

Been told today my 280 gets built on the 12th of this month so should be with me early March.

You’ll hate it. I suggest swapping for the much more interesting Toyota Avensis.

NOT!

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...

So, 1 month and 2000 miles(!) down and the Estate L&K 280 is chunting along nicely. 

As I do more mileage than most with this car I've been keeping a log to see whats what on the economy side and I've been a little surprised on a few occasions. One particular 115 mile mostly 60-70mph journey had me sitting pretty at 36.5mpg by the time I turned off. 

Also, I've read people saying that their trip is rarely accurate, however mine seems to be matching my readings quite closely. 31.5/31.43, 30.4/30.36, 31.7/31.41 and todays result, 33.20/33.20. 

I've been on Momentum 99 by the way. Even got the platinum Tesco card as I might as well get the points while I'm at it.

Wrong car to buy for doing high mileage really of course, but I knew that before I bought it :D 

• Like 2

On 01/02/2018 at 10:20, nicknorman said:

Yes the Sportline may look a bit flashier on the outside, but the L&K is much better inside.

I was sat in an L&K last week, you think they'd make it a little more obvious you were in the top end model ;)

Joking aside,  the standout interior feature in the Sporline are the seats.  I think they look the dogs but are also very supportive and comfortable (I appreciate that's subjective).  It's a good job the seats are so good because it *almost* excuses the hideous faux carbon trim. 

3 hours ago, Peterchequers said:

Maybe it's just the right cat food doing high mileage, it makes the driving more pleasurable and you will get to enjoy all that stealthy performance on more occassions than most.

True. It munches miles beautifully and then if I need or want the poke, it's got it.

20 minutes ago, foofaroo said:

Hello

Any UK 280 estate owners looking to sell?  I wrote off my car last week and I like the look of these (ideally L&K but happy with Sportline depending on options).  Thank you very much.

Nick

Have you considered the SEL spec since it is a similar level as the Sportline but with different options. With a few options added it will be very close to the L&K spec as well. When ordering my new car I realized I could get an SEL spec car and put all the options on to make it the same spec as the L&K for less than the cost of the L&K model.

1 hour ago, PSM said:

Have you considered the SEL spec since it is a similar level as the Sportline but with different options. With a few options added it will be very close to the L&K spec as well. When ordering my new car I realized I could get an SEL spec car and put all the options on to make it the same spec as the L&K for less than the cost of the L&K model.

Hi PSM - no i hadn’t considered this.  I will look in to it thanks.

loadswine - potentially interested in the hatch. Age/colour/mileage/options?

Have you checked Auto Trader? A fair few 280 Sportlines on their at the moment and a few stand out as being a few K cheaper than what seems to be 'going rate'.  What I found when I too was looking for a 280 Sportline is that, in the case of ex-demo's,  the majority of dealers scrimped on the options sheet so you either have to be lucky or willing to take a hit on your wish list.  Obviously this doesn't occur with the L&K, being well spec'd as standard. 

On 27/02/2018 at 11:54, penguin17 said:

Have you checked Auto Trader? A fair few 280 Sportlines on their at the moment and a few stand out as being a few K cheaper than what seems to be 'going rate'.  What I found when I too was looking for a 280 Sportline is that, in the case of ex-demo's,  the majority of dealers scrimped on the options sheet so you either have to be lucky or willing to take a hit on your wish list.  Obviously this doesn't occur with the L&K, being well spec'd as standard. 

Hi - yes I've looked at a few on Auto Trader, out of interest which do you consider good value.  I've not been following prices for too long.  Unfortunately most don't seem to include front sensors and given the size of it I think is a minimum requirement.

Nick

1 minute ago, foofaroo said:

Hi - yes I've looked at a few on Auto Trader, out of interest which do you consider good value.  I've not been following prices for too long.  Unfortunately most don't seem to include front sensors and given the size of it I think is a minimum requirement.

Nick

The list of Sportlines has reduced quite a bit on AutoTrader since I was looking last week.  I've found there to be no correlation between the mileage, age or spec of the car and what the dealer is asking for it.  E.g; There's cars on AT at the mo with a £30K+ *asking* price and minimal options ticket but there's a few in the £23-25K bracket with a few options ticked, that have similar mileage.  Sparshatt's and Lookers are dealers who often stand out at undercutting other dealers, often with well spec'd ex-demo's.  

With the '18 reg plates looming it may be an idea to phone around and ask if any dealers have cancelled orders or stock that they want to get registered and off the books, for a good price. 

I also agree on front sensors, the Superb is a big car and you could easily cause some damage if you're relying on your eyes and perception alone.  I wouldn't like to park mine without them. 

20 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

I also agree on front sensors, the Superb is a big car and you could easily cause some damage if you're relying on your eyes and perception alone.  I wouldn't like to park mine without them. 

How on earth did we manage before the invention of parking sensors ;)

• Haha 1