The 280PS Thread

13 hours ago, SteHaworth said:

IMG_20190329_184344.jpg

IMG_20190329_185004.jpg

Wow great pics - I like the Supernova alloys they look great.  They didn't have any in the showroom when I ordered mine and I wasn't sure about the detailing on the edges so stayed with the Vegas but I think you made the right choice!

Nice looking Unit you got there @SteHaworth! I still can;t make my mind up whether I prefer the digital dash or my old timer dial dash :D

Anyway, its tyre time again (already ready o be moved to a thread nobody will read) after all the snow we had (none) my TS 860s are about to be packed away for the summer. Since the old boots were shot anyway I have to get something new so automatically thought of some Michelin Pilot Sport 4, but had a look at the always excellent tyre reviews channel and he was testing the new Goodyear Assy 5 which looked good.

Sadly right now the only place I can find them in 245/40/19 (I know, me changing fitment again, whatever will Skoda say?) is Mytyres at £172 a corner fitted. The MPS4 I can get for £604 straight up fitted on black circles or for frankly a steal at £544 from Protyre (£644 up front and Michelin send you a card with £100 on it).

Will have to hunt around a bit more though.

I also have the adapter needed to use the foam lance finally so I can clean the car. I'm a bad owner, 22,000 miles since I bought it last January, £1000 on a full proper polish and ceramic coating and I've not cleaned it. We'll see how it comes up I suppose!:o

Edited by DBT85
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, DBT85 said:

Nice looking Unit you got there @SteHaworth! I still can;t make my mind up whether I prefer the digital dash or my old timer dial dash :D

Anyway, its tyre time again (already ready o be moved to a thread nobody will read) after all the snow we had (none) my TS 860s are about to be packed away for the summer. Since the old boots were shot anyway I have to get something new so automatically thought of some Michelin Pilot Sport 4, but had a look at the always excellent tyre reviews channel and he was testing the new Goodyear Assy 5 which looked good.

Sadly right now the only place I can find them in 245/40/19 (I know, me changing fitment again, whatever will Skoda say?) is Mytyres at £172 a corner fitted. The MPS4 I can get for £604 straight up fitted on black circles or for frankly a steal at £544 from Protyre (£644 up front and Michelin send you a card with £100 on it).

I also have the adapter needed to use the foam lance finally so I can clean the car. I'm a bad owner, 22,000 miles since I bought it last January, £1000 on a full proper polish and ceramic coating and I've not cleaned it. We'll see how it comes up I suppose!:o

Go for the Michelin Pilot 4S done nearly 5,000 miles on mine (235/35R19) and are the best tyre I have bought in 36 years driving. There is a reason most serious sports cars have them fitted at the factory because to quote Tina Turner they are "SIMPLY THE BEST".:thumbup:

3 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Go for the Michelin Pilot 4S done nearly 5,000 miles on mine (235/35R19) and are the best tyre I have bought in 36 years driving. There is a reason most serious sports cars have them fitted at the factory because to quote Tina Turner they are "SIMPLY THE BEST".:thumbup:

The great thing about the 4S is their all-round-ness. They offer such high grip under dry and wet but at the same time they are designed with daily driving in mind: Their softer than usual sidewall (for this class) results in unexpected levels of comfort, easily more comfortable in 19" than a few 18" I had before. Noise is not bad either and the wear rate is impressive (again: for a UHP class tire).  On a 370 bhp GTI they were almost a pre-requisite in order to drive the car close to its potential.

However, 2 months in with the 272 Sportline on Potenza S001 which, incidentally, were the factory fitted tires on the GTI as well, and I can already appreciate how much less of a car that depends on its tires in order to perform well it is. Traction is always in check even during hard launches at 3 deg C (on average summer tires!) and cornering still impresses me. I've maxed out the amount of speed that should be sensibly carried around a corner and the car just refuses to show any sign of understeer or nervousness at all. All that without ever having seen the colour of the ESP light yet. It's hard to accept that a tire which I loathed before (the Potenza's only ever worked on perfect dry conditions with the GTI) is now delivering all you ask from it without any issues on the Superb. That's why, considering the 4S are a significant 20-25% more than say F1 Asymmetric 3 (at least here) which is a very capable tire as well, I just don't see a need for them on this car unless of-course absolute performance is needed. They will still grip and turn better than the Potenza's but the threshold above which this is noticeable has now been pushed way higher, compared to a powerful FWD.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

The great thing about the 4S is their all-round-ness. They offer such high grip under dry and wet but at the same time they are designed with daily driving in mind: Their softer than usual sidewall (for this class) results in unexpected levels of comfort, easily more comfortable in 19" than a few 18" I had before. Noise is not bad either and the wear rate is impressive (again: for a UHP class tire).  On a 370 bhp GTI they were almost a pre-requisite in order to drive the car close to its potential.

However, 2 months in with the 272 Sportline on Potenza S001 which, incidentally, were the factory fitted tires on the GTI as well, and I can already appreciate how much less of a car that depends on its tires in order to perform well it is. Traction is always in check even during hard launches at 3 deg C (on average summer tires!) and cornering still impresses me. I've maxed out the amount of speed that should be sensibly carried around a corner and the car just refuses to show any sign of understeer or nervousness at all. All that without ever having seen the colour of the ESP light yet. It's hard to accept that a tire which I loathed before (the Potenza's only ever worked on perfect dry conditions with the GTI) is now delivering all you ask from it without any issues on the Superb. That's why, considering the 4S are a significant 20-25% more than say F1 Asymmetric 3 (at least here) which is a very capable tire as well, I just don't see a need for them on this car unless of-course absolute performance is needed. They will still grip and turn better than the Potenza's but the threshold above which this is noticeable has now been pushed way higher, compared to a powerful FWD.

Agree 4 wheel drive will flatter a decent average tyre whereas deploying 336bhp through my VAQ front wheel drive platform demands the best (£141 per tyre here in the UK) you can afford. Falken's are £96 per tyre for comparison. The 225/40R18 P Zero I use during our mild winters can activate the TCS at 77mph in 3rd gear on a wet road. The ride is excellent on the PS4S even compared to the 18" tyres which they have just replaced and finally the wear is great for a UHP tyre. Economy good as a bonus with a best commute of 43.6mpg so far this month.:inlove:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DBT85 said:

Please show us how it looks like after the first clean!

I am also interested in the assymetric 5 as it has a low noise rating. Previously wanted the PS4s but willing to trade a bit of max grip for quietness. Still hard to find the size for a sportline here in the UK though.

On 07/04/2019 at 06:50, shyVRS245 said:

As I think I've said before, if the tyres are close in price then I might consider it, but tbh trying to find 245/40/19 MPS4S has actually been quite hard. In the standard 235/40/19 they are available but at £190 a corner its really not worth the extra for me, not in this car. I spend most of my time motorway cruising or driving the kid around so I'm not driving it like some people do. I recall someone saying they averaged like 18mpg per tank because they apparently drove it "like you should" for the power it has :dull:. I can't imagine how much traffic they must be sitting in or how many bumpers they are sitting on at 70 to get consumption like that lol.

In the end I've gone for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 at £644 fitted from Protyre, I'll get get £100 cashback from Michelin taking it to £136 a tyre which is a good deal to me. If the topcashback comes through as well it'll be another £50 back too!

I know the standard fitment is 235/40/19 on the 19" wheels, and I've already had someone preach at me with "well if you think you know better than the manufacturer" lol. 245 is often cheaper than 235 and fits perfectly fine.

23 hours ago, newbie69 said:

My thoughts really. If it were my S2000 (currently on just MPS4) then maybe. Frankly I'm driving a fast roadboat and I'm happy just having a very very good tyre over a very very very good tyre. I for one am certainly not going to notice the difference on this car with the way I drive it.

12 hours ago, KeteCantek said:

Please show us how it looks like after the first clean!

I am also interested in the assymetric 5 as it has a low noise rating. Previously wanted the PS4s but willing to trade a bit of max grip for quietness. Still hard to find the size for a sportline here in the UK though.

Good luck finding them! I think I found one place that had them and I think it was £172 a corner. PS4 is a no brainer to me at £136.

Edited by DBT85
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DBT85 said:

In the end I've gone for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 at £644 fitted from Protyre, I'll get get £100 cashback from Michelin taking it to £136 a tyre which is a good deal to me. If the topcashback comes through as well it'll be another £50 back too!

At that price the PS4 was a no-brainer indeed. Great tyre also and more than capable of "supporting" the car even during fast driving.

• Like 1

So that was a colossal waste, Protyre outright refused to fit 245/40/19s to the car because its not allowed. :rolleyes: That 245/40/19 fits perfectly to the car is, apparently, irrelevant.

The only michelin they do in 235/40/19 is the MPS4S at a delightful £196 per tyre. Yeah. No.

Ta Skoda for a PITA tyre size. 

Edited by DBT85

8 minutes ago, DBT85 said:

So that was a colossal waste, Protyre outright refused to fit 245/40/19s to the car because its not allowed. :rolleyes: That 245/40/19 fits perfectly to the car is, apparently, irrelevant.

The only michelin they do in 235/40/19 is the MPS4S at a delightful £196 per tyre. Yeah. No.

Ta Skoda for a PITA tyre size. 

Agreed.  Skoda only list 235/40 as compatible spec for the R19 wheel size so tyre fitters and insurance companies won't allow them to be fitted.  It's a PITA as tyres are either not available in that size or stupidly priced when compared to 225/40 or 245/40.  As you said, it's almost £800 for a full set of PS4S'. 

Well I'm waiting to see if the new Goodyear Supersport range are available before my current Quatrac 5's wear down to <3mm.  Then I'll decide between the GY's, PS4S' or sticking with the Vredesteins.  

49 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Agreed.  Skoda only list 235/40 as compatible spec for the R19 wheel size so tyre fitters and insurance companies won't allow them to be fitted.  It's a PITA as tyres are either not available in that size or stupidly priced when compared to 225/40 or 245/40.  As you said, it's almost £800 for a full set of PS4S'. 

Well I'm waiting to see if the new Goodyear Supersport range are available before my current Quatrac 5's wear down to <3mm.  Then I'll decide between the GY's, PS4S' or sticking with the Vredesteins.  

I wish you luck.

Looking around most places only do the PS4S in this dumb size and don't offer the PS4 at all, also none yet have the F1 Assy 5 and not all have the Sport Contact 6.

Camskill can do the standard PS4 for £595 delivered so about £670 for me to get fitted. Blackcircles can only do it for £754 and ThickFit want £752. All a bit different to the £500 the 245/40/19s were going to work out to after the Michelin cashback and top cashback. Fuuuuuuuuu.

Even if I wanted the PS4S from ProTyre, they will only let me put 1 in the basket :D

Its half tempting to just stay on the bloody Continental TS860S winters I had fitted. If I didn't do so many miles I just might.

OOI, are tyre places looking at the alloy for tyre sizing or the car reg? What do a tyre shop do if I walk in with 9J wheels on the car?

Right I better stop talking about tyres before I get told off again. 

How are your 280 engines doing?

Edited by DBT85
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, DBT85 said:

I wish you luck.

Looking around most places only do the PS4S in this dumb size, also none yet have the F1 Assy 5 and not all have the Sport Contact 6.

Camskill can do the standard PS4 for £595 delivered so about £670 for me to get fitted. Blackcircles can only do it for £754 and ThickFit want £752. All a bit different to the £500 the 245/40/19s were going to work out to after the Michelin cashback and top cashback. Fuuuuuuuuu.

Even if I wanted the PS4S from ProTyre, they will only let me put 1 in the basket :D

Its half tempting to just stay on the bloody Continental TS860S winters I had fitted. If I didn't do so many miles I just might.

I didn't realise 235/40/19 is more expensive than 245 sections. Oh well...That explains the limited Tyrr choices too. 

Anyway, about engines... Everything is fine! Not taking any oil but I have only driven it about 1500miles so far.

34 minutes ago, DBT85 said:

I wish you luck.

Looking around most places only do the PS4S in this dumb size and don't offer the PS4 at all, also none yet have the F1 Assy 5 and not all have the Sport Contact 6.

Try F1autocentres.co.uk

Screenshot_20190410-130112.thumb.png.9c968c2efe3035c4bb018959bf66bcda.png

£100 cashback from Michelin, £8 off using discount code COMPA2015, or 2.62% discount if using Topcashback (£19.75)

So as little as £634.04 for 4 x PS4S tyres.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DBT85 said:

I wish you luck.

Looking around most places only do the PS4S in this dumb size, also none yet have the F1 Assy 5 and not all have the Sport Contact 6.

I've discounted the Conti SC6's as I've read a lot of reviews stating that the wear rate is shocking.  I liked the GY Assy 3's on my Octy vRS and the Assy 5's seem quite good but I can't help but feel the SuperSport range most be a significant step up so that they replace the Assy 5 as their top end tyre, or why introduce them at all?!

8 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

I've discounted the Conti SC6's as I've read a lot of reviews stating that the wear rate is shocking.  I liked the GY Assy 3's on my Octy vRS and the Assy 5's seem quite good but I can't help but feel the SuperSport range most be a significant step up so that they replace the Assy 5 as their top end tyre, or why introduce them at all?!

I suppose the same is true of PS4 or PS4S. One is a bit better but for road use they are near identical. The PS4S doesn't suffer from heat as much as the PS4 does and offers a couple of percent better times. I think tyrereview did a video with the PS4, PS4S and the Cup 2 compared.

3 hours ago, xman said:

Try F1autocentres.co.uk

imageproxy.php?img=&key=66c1d7df650950daScreenshot_20190410-130112.thumb.png.9c968c2efe3035c4bb018959bf66bcda.png

£100 cashback from Michelin, £8 off using discount code COMPA2015, or 2.62% discount if using Topcashback (£19.75)

So as little as £634.04 for 4 x PS4S tyres.

Thanks for that I'll have a look. Not everywhere is doing the cashback and Michelin are doing a great job of not telling you where is valid on their own site.

Can't get over how hard it is to just find PS4 in this size. 

I sat down and worked out that apart from a 300 mile drive this weekend and 250 to heathrow and back in May, I've not doing my usual mileage. While I've usually done 1500 a month since I got the car its only going to be maybe 1000 between now and the start of June. Not keen on running these TS860S winters all year though as they'll just wear too fast. They are at least still a perfectly decent tyre to be driving on even in the summer.

Edited by DBT85

1 hour ago, shyVRS245 said:

Noticed 272/276bhp Superbs produce around 100bhp at 2,000rpm when standard, similar to a standard 245 Octavia's. 

Sure but that tells us literally nothing about the actual performance of any car, many dyno pulls don't even start logging before 2500rpm...

To put this into perspective, an M4 (dyno below) is making 75bhp at 2K rpm but good luck if you think any stock (or even stage 2) Octavia or Superb is faster than it :hi:

image.thumb.png.fe5ca26b1ad9a63cad9cc4d72c82ebcd.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, newbie69 said:

Sure but that tells us literally nothing about the actual performance of any car, many dyno pulls don't even start logging before 2500rpm...

To put this into perspective, an M4 (dyno below) is making 75bhp at 2K rpm but good luck if you think any stock (or even stage 2) Octavia or Superb is faster than it :hi:

image.thumb.png.fe5ca26b1ad9a63cad9cc4d72c82ebcd.png

Maybe someone try a race with a 2k rpm limit!

• Haha 1