The 280PS Thread

:D I'm beginning to regret responding to your post!  Maybe I don't have the patience as I'm recovering from covid!

My car is tuned to Stage 3 which has a ECU and DSG tune done by JBS in Chesterfield.  It's running a standard clutch, no mechanically modification done to it, only software! 

There are plenty of Golf R owners who are at Stage 3 and running between 520 - 550 bhp and limiting the torque to 600nm on a standard/stock DSG with no issue.  They have to be on top of the maintenance to reduce the chances of failure. 

Naturally the life of the DSG clutch will be reduce depending on how they drive and how many launches they do.  

The top DSG tune is from TVS Engineering and they have agents across the UK  - AKS tuning, Awesome, CLP automotive to name a few.

However a few tuners have their own DSG tunes which work well - JBS, Ecotune, Unicorn and of course Revo.

It all depends what you after!  Personally would I go to stage 3 again if i had the chance?  Most likely not.  However I now have a car which is faster than an the previous model M3 which i would never be able to afford and has cost me a lot less.

Plus the size of the Superb allows me to ferry the family about in comfort and ease along luggage. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Awesam said:

:D I'm beginning to regret responding to your post!  Maybe I don't have the patience as I'm recovering from covid!

My car is tuned to Stage 3 which has a ECU and DSG tune done by JBS in Chesterfield.  It's running a standard clutch, no mechanically modification done to it, only software! 

There are plenty of Golf R owners who are at Stage 3 and running between 520 - 550 bhp and limiting the torque to 600nm on a standard/stock DSG with no issue.  They have to be on top of the maintenance to reduce the chances of failure. 

Naturally the life of the DSG clutch will be reduce depending on how they drive and how many launches they do.  

The top DSG tune is from TVS Engineering and they have agents across the UK  - AKS tuning, Awesome, CLP automotive to name a few.

However a few tuners have their own DSG tunes which work well - JBS, Ecotune, Unicorn and of course Revo.

It all depends what you after!  Personally would I go to stage 3 again if i had the chance?  Most likely not.  However I now have a car which is faster than an the previous model M3 which i would never be able to afford and has cost me a lot less.

Plus the size of the Superb allows me to ferry the family about in comfort and ease along luggage. 

I think you had been very patient ! A certain Harry Enfield character springs to mind.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, fraz8888 said:

will the 280 be discontinued at some point?  thinking ahead and possible change in the future, i.e. get an order in for one in good time

I’d have thought is a forgone conclusion that the 280 will be dropped - Skoda can’t be selling many as it is………

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, numskull said:

Only in this weather do I now appreciate ventilated seats. They realty do keep ones back, bum and neither regions lovely and cool! 

I've found it to great to help me stay awake on long drives to Scotland.

There's a thread about 190 fuel consumption. Today on my trip to turbo technics I thought I would see what I could get. I shan't be doing this again.IMG_20220719_112311.thumb.jpg.79f1bc4e1506e23e82698bb1bab95b22.jpg

After visiting TT, I went to see fellow forumeer Awe Sam so that we could compare my stage 2 to his stage 3. All I can say is that he's convinced me to do it.

Mine may have the bark, but his has got the bite!

Awe Sam by name, awesome by nature 👍

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/07/2022 at 21:51, Bigeater said:

There's a thread about 190 fuel consumption. Today on my trip to turbo technics I thought I would see what I could get. I shan't be doing this again.IMG_20220719_112311.thumb.jpg.79f1bc4e1506e23e82698bb1bab95b22.jpg

After visiting TT, I went to see fellow forumeer Awe Sam so that we could compare my stage 2 to his stage 3. All I can say is that he's convinced me to do it.

I like that journey info! Is it only available on 2017> vehicles or something you can enable on all MKIIIs? 

On 04/04/2022 at 10:42, Awesam said:

depending on which DSG you have:

DQ250 - 600NM Max

DQ380 - 700NM Max

This is the Wikipedia entry on DSG gearboxes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-shift_gearbox

The torque ratings are very much lower than what you're stating, @Awesam.

Where did you get your numbers from? (Also fao @LeGrumpy)

image.thumb.png.c6859cb3b30ed1573a38a08d64ae157a.png

Im running a stg3 ECU & TCU tune, my torque is 422 ft lbs which 572.16 NM so I can tell those figures are conversative!

Also from TVS Engineering, who are the best DSG tuner globally.

image.png

• Like 1

I can't say that Wikipedia is well known as a reputable source of information, I have to wonder what keeps Wiki going these days?

Thanks for giving the source of your numbers. 👍

On 19/07/2022 at 21:51, Bigeater said:

Does anyone know if this journey information is only available on post 2016 SIII or can it be enabled on all SIII models? 

On 14/03/2022 at 11:22, AlVal said:

Started hearing a little whistle from the turbo today, shortly followed by some very big clouds of white smoke behind me...

I have only just come across your post today Alan. Must remember to turn on that Follow Topic witch.

Now you've got me worried. Mine's a year older & at 56k miles. Expensive fix. 

I had to have a water pump & thermostat replaced on mine a few weeks ago for similar money + new rear discs & pads. That's the best part of 2 months pension payments 😖 

• 6 months later...

Don't think is the right place to post, but here it goes : anyone here considering selling their 280/272? If so. Please send me a private message.  

P.S. I know what is on ebay/Autotrader.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/04/2022 at 01:13, LeGrumpy said:

Hi all. I am looking at a 280 Superb 4x4, but I am unsure of the tuning potential of these.

Anyone knows how much torque a DSG6, DSG7 or haldex system  can take max ?

I know the engine can easy get 500+ with intercooler, downpipe, intake, exhaust, and turbo, but don't know how much strain you can put on the gearbox without upgraded clutch packs, or on the haldex.

Just go TVS for the gearbox… simples. Stage2+ or stage 3 

So I'm thinking of buying a used Skoda Superb 206tsi (280) here in Australia. How are these cars for reliability if they have a full service history? Car has approx 70,000kms on the clock (44,000 miles).

I've owned a few VW group cars and had mixed reliability (the less said about the old 1.4 TS engines, the better) and am fastidious with how I maintain my cars (always serviced, kept clean and tyres changed on time). I don't plan on any modifications.

I assume at some point I'll need to replace the water pump on the Skoda. I dunno what it is with VWs and water pumps, but the previous ones I've owned also had to have these parts replaced.