The 280PS Thread

Just been for a small trip up to the garden centre, sunroof open, windows down and in sport mode.

Had not noticed before but when the DSG box changes down it gives a little blip on the throttle, found it quite addictive!

• Like 1

On the mpg: in Holland, while mostly cruising at 130-140 km/h (speedo indicated) I got a similar figure – about 30.

What’s the ‘higher’ octane on offer in France?

Here it all seems to be 97. In Germany it’s 98-100. First fill I did in Holland was at a BP station where the “Ultimate” was likewise 98 octane. But the second time I pulled up at very large Shell station also displaying lots of “V-Power” pumps. However, closer inspection revealed every single one of those to be labelled “95” – I went so far as parking the car to walk along all the pumps and it was the same everywhere. I asked an attendant if they had any high-octane fuel and he said no. He then proceeded to google on his phone to see if he could find out what “V-Power” stands for in Holland!

Truth be told, I didn’t look at the relative prices, which might have given some indication (other than rip-off). But that ‘95’ plastered all over the place was just too off-putting. It was the same story at a Total station.

Amazingly, there is clearly no consistency in fuel even within such a small area called Western Europe.

I am using total Excelium (98) during my trip in France, according to quite a few comments online it is one of the best. Home I used BP ultimate (97) but will also try other varieties soon.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Just been for a small trip up to the garden centre, sunroof open, windows down and in sport mode.

Had not noticed before but when the DSG box changes down it gives a little blip on the throttle, found it quite addictive!

I'm enjoying this thread. The 280 sounds a cracking car. As for the 'blip' on down changes, yes, my 3.6 does that and it's very addictive, especially in Sport mode....

I've not notice this. Is it just in sport mode ? Manual or auto ?

For me it's in both normal (Drive) and sport mode on the DSG when you use the paddles.

Not on the manual unless you double de clutch as you go down through the 'box ;)

Dave

• Like 1

I also found it interesting that in Eco mode it is dropping the revs to idle (circa 800) every time I release the gas pedal (even if I am doing 70mph at the time) to save petrol.

Edited by micloi

the leon cupra r280 is the same engine and my friend has one with millteks on it - they sound amazing!

no idea if they are going to do a superb one though. 

underneath, single pipe back from the cats, resonator, and then splits in two to the two back boxes. 

I'll take a look later on at the flaps - on a few audis, they were vacuum operated, and two golf tees sorted them out to permanently open :) so here's hoping

• Like 1

Can't wait to get mine. Black metallic pearl with black interior, black 19" from the sportline model and with all extras you could get. Should be delivered in October.

• Like 3

As someone earlier asked, have someone done any tuning to the 280 already? Remapped or exhaust pipes?

With this as standard I do not think it is worth losing the warranty IMHO with a remap.

Best out of 3 tries on a flat track, dry tarmac. Launch at 4,000 rpm

post-87006-0-50664500-1459500819_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

With this as standard I do not think it is worth losing the warranty IMHO with a remap.

With just a software upgrade you can always go back to stock. And here in Sweden it's about 800£ to get 350ps

Unfortunately the TD1 flag is set when you remap and even if you go back to stock it still stays in the system and automatically voids your warranty the first time you take the car to the dealer.

I noticed a new sign in my dealer's customer waiting area, along the lines of: Inform us if you have modified the ecu with a remap otherwise our diagnosis equipment will see it as a fault and overwrite it.

So along with warranty and insurance hassles, whilst I admit I was sorely tempted by the idea, I'll happily stick to what I've got.

Outstanding. It wasn't so very long ago that to go 0-100kph in 5.4s you would need one of these:

Ferrari_348-GTB_STRADA_xMAM4291_9355001.

The Ferrari doesn't have room for 5 or a big boot either ;)

• Like 1

I noticed a new sign in my dealer's customer waiting area, along the lines of: Inform us if you have modified the ecu with a remap otherwise our diagnosis equipment will see it as a fault and overwrite it.

So along with warranty and insurance hassles, whilst I admit I was sorely tempted by the idea, I'll happily stick to what I've got.

Interesting.........

Both my cars are out of warranty, so remapping wasn't a problem, but the insurers (LV) were quite happy to cover them, app £50 pa extra.

Starting from 200 / 210 ps though, we felt that remapping was worth the expense, better performance &/or economy, & generally nicer to drive.

It would be interesting to see if the 280ps is actually a little conservative, we've remapped 3 Skoda's all of which were producing more power

before (interestingly, very similar to the quoted figures for the equivalent VW) as well as afterwards.

DC 

You mean that the insurance company charged extra after you tuned the car? How could they know you've done that?

Noo, 't other way around, we asked them what they would charge,& being quite happy with the increased premium, paid up & had the

cars tweaked.  Not all done at the same time, but we used the same tuner.

DC

Okey, well I got a good deal on the insurance when I ordered the car. Have looked around at the tuningshops around Stockholm for a little more grunt and power, but now the more sensible decision is to wait until the warranty is out. Still it's 6 months left to delivery!

• Like 1