Looking for thoughts on a suitable Octavia VRS

Hello folks,

Looking some help/feedback to help me with choosing what to go for.

A bit about me first that may help. Married with one kid, not planning anymore as far as I'm aware lol. Also got a dog, a labrador cross so not huge. Two main hobbies that would potentially require car use would be golf and fishing. Work is a 50 mile round trip, at the minute I share lifts but that could always change but it does cut those runs down for now to just a couple of times a week at most. Other than that it's short stuff other than odd occasions of distance but nothing regular. Currently I've got a mk3 Mondeo hatch and other than taking the parcel shelf out for the dog it does what I need, but it's getting on so time for a new motor.

A skoda octavia mk2 is top of my list but there's a few options out there. Based on your own experience and/or what I've posted above what do you think on these three options:

Petrol or diesel?

Estate or hatch?

Manual or dsg?

Trying to stay as close as possible to a 12k budget but there is wiggle room. Looking to go max 4 years old with average mileage.

Thanks for reading,

James

I would think that a petrol estate would best suit your needs but there is more choice around if you go for a diesel.  Manual or DSG?  Purely personal preference - drive both then decide.  Any of your options could be possible on your budget but estate and/or DSG will up the asking price over hatch and/or manual.  Good luck with your search. 

I'd choose estate instead of hatchback especially in your case when you got a dog. And an estate looks better :)

If you got no problems with driving with manual then why not choose that? DSG is more expensive and it needs care (for example, oil change). Sometimes automatic transmission can cause problems... manual transmission is way more reliable and most of people do nothing in maintenance. Just simply drive and forget about it.

Manual transmission also allows you such things as push starting your car (for example, when battery is dead) or towing it to some place (max 50 km with automatic). Probably you won't need such things but that's an advantage :) (I guess that nobody's buying a car judging by such things).

Edited by Jevpls

When you work out your running costs assume you're not car sharing.

Other than that Petrol Estate as said. If you can get one.

Manual or DSG is personal preference. I was happy with a manual myself.

Thanks for the replies so far. I think the manual will be the way to go as the auto isn't necessary for me and it's just more expense.

With regards to fuel obviously prices change but currently it seems to only be about 1p difference between the two. If I didn't lift share I'd do probably around 12k a year so petrol is still viable but if I could get a diesel for the same money?

I think the hatch and estate will end up coming down to looks, I like the hatch and although the estate would be easier with the parcel shelf and flat bay for the dog I cope now with the Mondeo so not sure it would totally swing me. There are also a lot more diesels and hatches on the market but I can wait a bit as I've got plenty of MOT and tax still.

i currently drive mk1 hatchback , but am changing to mk2 diesel next week . 

I also have a lab and hobbies include fishing and mountain biking . I find the hatchback more than adequate for both dog and rods bikes etc . (including beachcasters).

I thought about the estate myself but when you see the amount of room in the hatchback especially with rear seats folded away i saw little advantage of buying an estate.

Yeah, in Octavia case there is no much difference in boot space but estate still has got some advantages. For example you have to transport some large box then it's likely to fit only in estate. Sure, such things do not happen every day but when they happen, you are lucky if you got that estate.

But in this case it's not the general concern about buying an estate. Maybe everything fits fine in that hatchback except...the dog. It's not a bag you can throw in the boot and forget about it till the destination. Hatchbacks cover should be removed every time and that's more complex thing than removing estates cover. Sure, you can drive without this cover at all but then you will get additional noise.

If your dog has nothing against spending some hours in darkness then hatchback is fine but most of animals wouldn't - that's from my experience.

With regards to fuel obviously prices change but currently it seems to only be about 1p difference between the two. If I didn't lift share I'd do probably around 12k a year so petrol is still viable but if I could get a diesel for the same money?

Fuel consumption and fuel price are not the only things in diesel vs petrol comparison. Usually diesel troubles cost more. You might have seen plenty of topics about EGR, DPF and DMF problems etc. Seems like the modern petrol cars have EGR and DMF as well and some catalytic converter instead of DPF but somehow they last much longer. In case you got problems with one of these (and these are not the only ones) then your fuel savings might go to the garage.

Thanks for that some good extra points on the diesel vs petrol saga. Yeah I take the parcel shelf out every time at the minute, it's not a massive bind other than where to leave it while I'm out if that makes sense.

For me there is one big plus for the estate, which I now can't live without.

You can get a flat floor option (standard on Elegance trim and above) which has the following advantages:

- no lip to lift over so allowing you to slide heavy boxes straight in.

- a flat floor that continues over the rear seats when they are folded flat (great for large boxes and large white goods such as a washing machine).

- since the flat floor is level with the lip, you can sit on the level floor dangling your legs out for picnic etc, loved by children . The open rear door acts as a rain shelter too.

- you can easily take the floor out if you need more hight but I have never needed to.

- my Mk 1 Elegance was used previously by someone with two dogs. He used a dog guard behind the seats that went up high. I guess the dogs appreciated the totally flat floor and level with the lip.

- finally, the original floor is still available to put things on, ideal for bringing back lots of wine from France.

I have the MK2 FL 2.0 170 vrs and I cant beleive what a good car i is - went from a Golf iv 1.9 PD 150 and it went well  but the Octy is giving me 61mpg most of the time (although my 30mile commute is pretty sedate ufortunately!).   The Skoda is great, but got to say, the hatchback is bigger to drive than I thought when I first saw it.. Already got a small scuff on a rim (grr!)

I had a 2011 petrol estate Vrs and chopped it in for the diesel version in 2012. Both bought new.

Petrol V Diesel- For me the petrol car was what the Vrs should be and gave me the most smiles but the derv gave me the economy 50 avg and some of the essence.

Estate V hatch- I have 3 dogs but the biggest is a lab retriever and the estate gives headroom when he looks out. 

DSG v Manual- individual choice.

My diesel now has 64k miles on it and is 38 months old. I did have it up for sale until recently but no takers so I am happily keeping it.

Hi Sthazza,

I have a new car on order for 1st Sept. My current 61 reg Oct VRS 170 CR Diesel MANUAL 6 SPEED is in the Cars for sale section with 10 pics uploaded. Take a look if you have a minute, it might just be what you are after. I shall be putting it on Autotrader beginning of August. All the best in your search, you will not be dissapointed with a VRS as your main choice. I have had 3 in the last 6 years.

Regards.

Every time I come back on here there are just loads more great responses, thanks so much. Not sure it's making things easier exactly but it's certainly great to have some real life experience with these cars.

Yeah, in Octavia case there is no much difference in boot space but estate still has got some advantages. For example you have to transport some large box then it's likely to fit only in estate. Sure, such things do not happen every day but when they happen, you are lucky if you got that estate.

But in this case it's not the general concern about buying an estate. Maybe everything fits fine in that hatchback except...the dog. It's not a bag you can throw in the boot and forget about it till the destination. Hatchbacks cover should be removed every time and that's more complex thing than removing estates cover. Sure, you can drive without this cover at all but then you will get additional noise.

If your dog has nothing against spending some hours in darkness then hatchback is fine but most of animals wouldn't - that's from my experience.

Fuel consumption and fuel price are not the only things in diesel vs petrol comparison. Usually diesel troubles cost more. You might have seen plenty of topics about EGR, DPF and DMF problems etc. Seems like the modern petrol cars have EGR and DMF as well and some catalytic converter instead of DPF but somehow they last much longer. In case you got problems with one of these (and these are not the only ones) then your fuel savings might go to the garage.

I would never put a dog in the boot with the parcel shelf on.

In fact my parcelshelf has been in the garage since the day i bought the car and the seats are usually down too as i rarely have rear passengers. .

I got a spare boot lining from a scrapyard for piitance and i use that on top of the existing one . It means i can remove it and still keep the boot clean and it also helps insulate any road noise that the lack of parcel shelf would give.

If your Mondeo hatch does everyhting you need it to do then an Octavia hatch will be just as versatile.  It pretty much sounds like either hatch or estate would be fine for you, so my recommendation to you is to buy the best vRS you can afford and not worry too much about the hatch/estate, petrol/diesel thing - just find yourself somthing you like the look of that's been properly looked after.   

For me there is one big plus for the estate, which I now can't live without.

You can get a flat floor option (standard on Elegance trim and above) which has the following advantages:

- no lip to lift over so allowing you to slide heavy boxes straight in.

- a flat floor that continues over the rear seats when they are folded flat (great for large boxes and large white goods such as a washing machine).

- since the flat floor is level with the lip, you can sit on the level floor dangling your legs out for picnic etc, loved by children . The open rear door acts as a rain shelter too.

- you can easily take the floor out if you need more hight but I have never needed to.

- my Mk 1 Elegance was used previously by someone with two dogs. He used a dog guard behind the seats that went up high. I guess the dogs appreciated the totally flat floor and level with the lip.

- finally, the original floor is still available to put things on, ideal for bringing back lots of wine from France.

The flat floor was an extra on my 2013 vrs.

The flat floor was an extra on my 2013 vrs.

I forgot to mention that the flat floor is hinged in two places across its width. This allows you to fold it concertina style against the rear seats if you need the full hight of the hatch boot or to divide the boot into two sections.

Edited by pikpilot

Thanks for the continued responses, still hunting.

In terms of the hatchback how easy does the shelf come out? I assume it's the same as most cars where it just pops out.

The estate I'm guessing has a retractable cover.

Edited by sthazza

Yes that is true but it can also has a catch on each side so the whole assembly can be easily removed.

On mine there is a full width empty box as part of the assembly which is useful for odds and

ends or even a full size umbrella. I believe this where on optional screen retracts to on some models.

Edited by pikpilot

Thanks for the continued responses, still hunting.

In terms of the hatchback how easy does the shelf come out? I assume it's the same as most cars where it just pops out.

Unclip the hangers either side and it just pulls out yep :)