500+mile tank range possible in Citigo?

Citigouk

Since reset mines now 51.8 after 135 miles, mainly short 2-10 mile journeys 285 left in the tank, so 420 (but that should mean 54 ish)

Over the next 3 weeks I will be putting a couple of 500 mile journeys on it as its Easter break for my daughter at uni, I'm hoping things improve somewhat tbh.

I always knew this wouldn't be as good as the 1.5DCi it replaced, but was expecting a little better considering other peoples results.

Early doors though its just past the 800 mile mark :)

Edited by OneFourSevenNine

I've done the opposite plan, I followed my friends on motorbikes into the depths of Wales and still manager 54mpg through a whole tank! and it was VERY enthusiastic!

• Like 1

Just got back from the 'Uni run' 451 miles and averaged 58.8 mpg and I wasn't driving like 'Miss Daisy' right in the red, 6 miles left in the tank!

It did really well keeping up with the motorway traffic, comfortable, no aches or pains and on the back road sections it was a hoot, the engine noise is getting better and better the more its used. 

On a long run, if you stick to 60-65 on the motorways, I recon its doable, just!

Might try on the returning to uni trip, then again, may not as I enjoyed todays mileage...

• Like 1

Oh dear... Used most of last week on motorway journeys at an average of 37.1 mpg. Just had first service too. That's only 10mpg more than my 4motion doing the same speeds and same driving style. 

Most I've ever got from a tank is 477 miles and it took 34.5 litres to fill it up again.

Normally I get between 410 and 450 miles and its between 31 and 33 litres to fill up. Filling up within a few miles of when the light comes on.

I doubt I'll ever get 500 miles from a tank, but I suspect it might just about be possible.

• 4 weeks later...

FAILED AGAIN!

474 miles when I refuelled having covered 4 miles with the range on zero. Managed to squeeze 36 litres in so that works out at just over 59mpg. 

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoyed reading this and it might be a good challenge to the lad in his car.

When I picked him up from a party yesterday morning, I got 74 mpg on the way there and, despite trying to match me, he only got 54 mpg driving back.

It was a good reminder that there's a lot more to economical driving than simply going slowly. indeed I was running to the speed limit in 30/40/50 and only holding back in 60/70 where I wasn't holding up other traffic. He was going below the speed limits everywhere.

I chose my route for minimum stopping and starting, did lots of looking ahead and used a fair amount of engine braking etc. He chose a "quieter" route, but did lots of junctions and stopping to let oncoming traffic through past parked cars. 

500 miles should be achievable, as long as I can do a tankful without the lad driving his car...

• 2 weeks later...

The bottom 'half' of the tank is a lot smaller than the top, going by the fuel gauge at least. If I'm not showing at least 300 miles on the trip when the fuel gauge needle is pointing straight up, I know I've not done very well for fuel consumption on the tankful. As far as the fill ups go, I regularly get more than 40 litres in, but must admit I haven't managed to reach the heady heights of 43 litres. After the first click of the pump, I find I can still get a lot in - sometimes as much as 5 litres - if I trickle it in. I don't like doing that unless I'm immediately going on a long drive, but it shows that the capacity is there. I always find the 'miles remaining' on the PID wildly optimistic. The figure shown seems to drop at the ratio of about 2:1 (i.e. miles remaining drops around 2 miles for every 1 mile I cover) over the last 100 miles or so of a tank.

I've still not threatened the holy grail of 500 miles between fills, but have often had 460-480. I need to be in the right frame of mind though, as I know that all the fun is to be had with at least 3000rpm dialled up on the rev counter :devil: . It's such a sweet thing to THRASH! Way, way more fun to drive than my Yeti.

On my Up, each quarter is pretty much a hundred miles, but the gauge doesn't move at all for the first hundred miles, so around 500. I've never run it to empty though. :D

I've tracked almost every fill up on Fuelly and averaged 61.3 mpg over two years.

It's been a week and 5 days since I've picked up the car, and I am yet to refill it from the first fill up, and I've covered about 360 miles since pick up. On the current tank, I had about 100 miles in the tank when I went to brim it with the car reading at about 40 miles. This means a mileage of about 320 miles on the current tank with 60 miles left to go according to the PID.

So that's about 380 miles from my first brim, not bad going considering I was paying no heed to economy and the engine is still being run in!

I was genuinely expecting about 300, maybe 325 miles per tank, as my driving is genuinely dreadful when it comes to economy.

I regularly get 480 from a tank and the current tankful is looking good after about 100 miles in with the estimate at 530. I will be highly surprised if I get above 480 in total though.

I managed 515 miles from this tank. 35.27 litres to fill up. This involved a long stretch on the motorway with seemingly endless 50 zones early on a Sunday morning.

We need photos :)

Currently i'm on course to hit 565...

my car has only ever done the same journey over and over. to be fair its a good gentle journey. but it can vary massively based on driving style.

anything with too many stop starts or higher speeds soon deteriorate the mpg.

My currenty pid reading is 69.3 average. So unless you are hitting that sort of average. Only then can you find true inner piece. err. I mean high tank range.

as above - I peeked over 70mpg average after 130 miles.

On this run, and its looking good, I only started on a potential of 390 range - but it went up to 430 and then started to go down after already covering 130 miles. (see pic above)

Lots of forward planning for lights, junctions etc to avoid going below 3rd, I can regularly drive 20 miles without stopping, and that includes 12 roundabouts, 5 traffic lights and just 4 turns. If I throw in a slightly shorter route I have more junctions, and that's the key. Just keep it moving.

Edited by stooz

We need photos :)

Currently i'm on course to hit 565...

I don't have anything so exciting as a PID :-( . Cue the violins :-)

Here's a picture of my very exciting receipts. Top right is the 515 miler. I use the trip computer and reset it when I fill up, noting the distance covered between visits on the receipts.

66mpg was the magic number for reaching the 500+ tank

post-137648-0-81223600-1464291350_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

I don't have anything so exciting as a PID :-( . Cue the violins :-)

Here's a picture of my very exciting receipts. Top right is the 515 miler. I use the trip computer and reset it when I fill up, noting the distance covered between visits on the receipts.

66mpg was the magic number for reaching the 500+ tank

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

First of all congratulations on obtaining the 500+miles from a tank of fuel, my only observation is that you must have been on a quest to 'eek' out the mileage and i expect this is a manual gearbox Citigo and you were driving miss daisy :clap:

I've looked at your fuel receipts data:

15/01/2016 - 437.5 miles from 33.88litres = 58.7mpg

17/02/2016 - no mileage from 32.80litres = unknown

02/03/2016 - 477.8 miles from 34.55litres = 62.86mpg

18/03/2016 - 478.9 miles from 33.50litres = 64.99mpg

07/04/2016 - 464.4 miles from 33.40litres = 63.10mpg

26/04/2016 - 467.3 miles from 32.57litres = 65.2mpg

18/05/2016 - 515.8 miles from 35.27litres = 66.48mpg

Understand you don't have the PID but in reality are only doing c220miles per week .......... if we said you used the citigo for 2 hours day this would give you an average speed on around 15mph  :peek: . At these speeds I would expect 500+miles to be very easily achievable.

Our ASG average was 35mph which is more realistic to faster road driving

I can only advise you look at fuelly.com and track you mileage performance from that website, its much more organised and helps you track data.

Very impressive to be getting these kinds of mileages out of such a small tank.

We had been thinking of a small second car but don't want a manual and not too sure on the ASG. I seemed to think the ASG was actually rated better fuel economy than the manual?

What are these like on a really long run? Even better on the juice I imagine? But has anyone done a long run at the higher French, Belgian and Dutch limit of 130kmh?

We regularly go to Germany and in our 1.9 DSG Octavia I can go from York to Germany via Dover on less than a tank (55 litres though of course- last trip was 677 miles before refilling). This is sticking to speed limits (and doing 130kmh where there isn't one in Germany!)

Edited by Phil-E
  • Like 1

What are these like on a really long run? Even better on the juice I imagine? But has anyone done a long run at the higher French, Belgian and Dutch limit of 130kmh?

Have look at the stats on the first post and you can see I used our ASG at the time as daily driver while i was waiting to collect my 313ps diesel saloon.

The citigo ASG is very capable car and if selected with standard suspension is relatively comfy on long journeys, i find the gearing is great  when cruising it will stay in 5th and dip to 4th if required......... I am also a fan of the 5 door arrangement  :sun:

In hindsight i would have ticket the sunroof option as our friend has it on the UP! and its really nice option

First of all congratulations on obtaining the 500+miles from a tank of fuel, my only observation is that you must have been on a quest to 'eek' out the mileage and i expect this is a manual gearbox Citigo and you were driving miss daisy :clap:

I've looked at your fuel receipts data:

15/01/2016 - 437.5 miles from 33.88litres = 58.7mpg

17/02/2016 - no mileage from 32.80litres = unknown

02/03/2016 - 477.8 miles from 34.55litres = 62.86mpg

18/03/2016 - 478.9 miles from 33.50litres = 64.99mpg

07/04/2016 - 464.4 miles from 33.40litres = 63.10mpg

26/04/2016 - 467.3 miles from 32.57litres = 65.2mpg

18/05/2016 - 515.8 miles from 35.27litres = 66.48mpg

Understand you don't have the PID but in reality are only doing c220miles per week .......... if we said you used the citigo for 2 hours day this would give you an average speed on around 15mph  :peek: . At these speeds I would expect 500+miles to be very easily achievable.

Our ASG average was 35mph which is more realistic to faster road driving

I can only advise you look at fuelly.com and track you mileage performance from that website, its much more organised and helps you track data.

You are right, I was actively trying to get as far on the tankful as possible. I'd never get 500 miles from a tank without actively trying to. I drove until the range went to zero, plus about 2 miles from there.

My mileage is very similar to stooz, virtually all of it is commuting miles. I go 25 miles each way, with most of it on one continuous road (The A34 south of Manchester). It is a mixture of dual carriageway, single-carriageway national speed limit, and 50mph. There are only 3 sets of lights that I generally have to come to a complete stop at in the whole 25 miles, and at the times I go all the other junctions/roundabouts are generally free(ish) flowing. On the last tankful I rarely went above 60mph, I coasted to slow down for tight bends instead of braking, and generally changed up a gear early. I always went at the speed limit on the single track bits of road though. The car is also basically empty and I did put an extra 2 psi in the tires this time. I also have stop/start and the manual box.

I also did a 90 mile round trip to Bradford, up and over the M62 as part of the tankful. It was early on a Sunday morning with zero traffic and I sat with the cruise control set to bang on 60, or 50 in the roadworks.  

As for average speed, based on 15 mph, that would equate to an hour and 40 each way for my commute :doh:  . Fortunately it takes just shy of 45 minutes :party:

That's a remarkable achievement for journeys around Greater Manchester and West Yorkshire. The hills around here really kill fuel consumption.

Well done!

Edited by ronime