500+mile tank range possible in Citigo?

Citigouk

Finally,

This was a trip from Edinburgh to Heathrow, A1 / M1 and around the M25. As stated above, 0 miles range came up at 597 miles and it then took another 4 miles to get to a petrol station. Very surprised to only just squeeze in 35.0 litres. Also very impressed at how accurate the mpg read out is...... Compared to other trip computers in other car makes.

I thought 500+ was going to be hard, and am very pleased to make 601!

The next challenge has now been set.......

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 2015-7-22 at 11:57, Citigouk said:

My experience on driving the wife's Citigo ASG for the last month is that I already knew the citigo tank size is more than the stated 35litres (there is a wonder if ours has been built with no UK fuel tank!?), as my last fill up was nearly 43litres..... yes you have to give it some patience on filling up and the weather not too hot.

My last 4 refills have been:

477.60miles from 41.40 litres

472.10miles from 39.47 litres

491.70miles from 42.60 litres

498.60miles from 42.98 litres

While looking on Wikipedia i think i found my answer to the reasoning when its so easy to fill 42+litres in our citigo

In February 2014 Volkswagen introduced a modified version of the Up for Latin America. The Brazilian-built Up differs from its European counterpart in length (it is 65 mm (3 in) longer), thanks to revisions to the floorpan's rear section to accommodate a larger fuel tank (50L instead of Europe's 35L)

Our is March 2014 Factory produced Citigo

You do not have a Brazilian Built Citigo do you.  

Or are you saying that in Slovakia VW put bigger 50 litre tanks in the Up!MiiCitigo?

No idea about the Citigo but plenty other VW Group cars take 7 litres or so up the pipe and the capacity for fuel is greater than the volume of the tank.

with a 45 litre Fabia tank with 5-6 litres still in you can still brim / vent in over 45 litres.

I would think if you had a 50 litre tank in a Up! then brimming with 55 litres would be easy enough.

1 hour ago, Awayoffski said:

You do not have a Brazilian Built Citigo do you.  

Or are you saying that in Slovakia VW put bigger 50 litre tanks in the Up!MiiCitigo?

No idea about the Citigo but plenty other VW Group cars take 7 litres or so up the pipe and the capacity for fuel is greater than the volume of the tank.

with a 45 litre Fabia tank with 5-6 litres still in you can still brim / vent in over 45 litres.

I would think if you had a 50 litre tank in a Up! then brimming with 55 litres would be easy enough.

The most we have ever put into the citigo is c44L of petrol..... which is alot more than the 35L quoted.

Edited by Citigouk

11 hours ago, Citigouk said:

While looking on Wikipedia i think i found my answer to the reasoning when its so easy to fill 42+litres in our citigo

In February 2014 Volkswagen introduced a modified version of the Up for Latin America. The Brazilian-built Up differs from its European counterpart in length (it is 65 mm (3 in) longer), thanks to revisions to the floorpan's rear section to accommodate a larger fuel tank (50L instead of Europe's 35L)

Our is March 2014 Factory produced Citigo

Not entirely correct. The wheelbase is the same so almost certainly no floorpan changes that affect the length of the car. The front bumper is larger to accommodate a larger cooling system for the TSI engine and this increases the overall length.

Edited by ronime
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

So without being aware of anything, swmbo's citigo just 770km on its last tank..

I reset the trip2 last time i filled it, and she told me this evening it said 0km on Tuesday..

Took it out and got 36.18litres in to the first click..

770km is... 481miles...

59.7mpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

is the wording 'super', & 'Super Unleaded,  does it show 95 min.?    "Super Premium"

It is a lost in translation thing.   Unleaded 95 ron required,.  put in 97 or 99 if you want.

Super Unleaded is 'Super Plus'  when the VW Group recommend Super Unleaded..... As the Red Flap sticker shows.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/owners/Fuel 

220lid.jpg.90e1ddf2f538925a7280eea5593e3136.jpg

imageproxy (1).jpg

Edited by Awayoffski

If life was so easy.   No 98 Ron on sale in the UK.  But you can buy 99 Ron for 23 pence a gallon more than 95 Ron.  But is Shell V-Power nitro + worth paying at least an extra 23 pence over the less expensive 99 Ron available.?   Does the engine run more efficiently and use any less fuel for the 46 pence a gallon more? Or 23 more than Tesco momentum 99.

7 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

No 98 Ron on sale in the UK.

Really? I could have sworn that Sainsbury's and Morissons Super Unlead was 98. Will check next time we get a discount coupon from Sainsbury's.

People often swear that it was 98 octane but that is very unlikely at some locations when nationwide Sainsburys is 97 ron, 

never seen Morrisons super unleaded on sale but knowing where their fuel comes from it is hard to see it being 98 ron as no UK wholesaler supplies 98 ron.

14 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

People often swear that it was 98 octane but that is very unlikely at some locations when nationwide Sainsburys is 97 ron, 

never seen Morrisons super unleaded on sale but knowing where their fuel comes from it is hard to see it being 98 ron as no UK wholesaler supplies 98 ron.

Very useful. Thanks! :thumbup:

Edited by ronime

On 01/09/2017 at 10:50, Awayoffski said:

If life was so easy.   No 98 Ron on sale in the UK.  But you can buy 99 Ron for 23 pence a gallon more than 95 Ron.  But is Shell V-Power nitro + worth paying at least an extra 23 pence over the less expensive 99 Ron available.?   Does the engine run more efficiently and use any less fuel for the 46 pence a gallon more? Or 23 more than Tesco momentum 99.

The knock sensor is flexible, 99RON or 100RON will in therory be adjusted to create marginally more power from the fuel Octane Ron value.

if you put in less (UK 95RON) than 98 then you will have considerable reduced power

What is theory about it, does it not really happen?

The cars advertised power output in Europe (and sold as power output, and taxed on in some cases, seeing as identical vehicles but with engine management giving 25 bhp can cost more to purchase.

Those power outputs which really are the minimum expected not the maximum are from European / EU testing & is showing the output at what ever the rpm giving max PS / BHP / kw on 95 ron, 

that is then possibly bettered seeing as in the UK the vehicle will never be above 4,000 ft above sea level and will never be in extreme temps.

So 95 ron is not going to be reducing power, or efficiency, or increasing emissions.

The higher octane if used though might just improve efficiency, lower emissions and then give improved economy.

As it is, easy enough to find out as people drive their cars, buy the fuel and can do real world testing and see how things are.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/owners/Fuel 

Then there are some cars that will also be supposed to run happily on 95 ron and yet are not happy even on the UK's 97 octane.

Plenty of us have driven or owned those.

Edited by Awayoffski

• 10 months later...

Hi, sorry to reply to an old thread I guess but I’m new to the Skoda forum and am loving my Citigo Black edition :biggrin: now I only just got it, and it’s a hot summer here in the UK so I’ve been using air con a lot (a luxury my old car did not have so happy about that). I just wanted to confirm a few things. I have been driving my car a lot since I got it and I’m not sure which setting on the sat nav trip computer is correct for the mileage I’ve done since I reset it and I’m not sure how much the air con is affecting it. So, if I have it set to “long term” which is what all the pictures on this thread have it set to, it displays 202 miles and 170 miles left in the tank making for about 372 miles of range on the whole tank (with about 45 mpg average atm -  a lot of new car fun it you know what I mean ;) - which I know isn’t very good mpg based on this thread. If it’s set to “since start” it displays less miles done but the same range left adding to a crap full tank run of like 240 miles, which I thought can’t be right even at 45 mpg. Can you guys 1) tell me which is the correct setting, long term or since start?,  2) does air con have a significant impact on fuel consumption? and 3) how gently do I need to drive and how long do the trips need to be on average to achieve these 55-65 mpg averages people are getting on here over a full tank?

Jay 

I doubt aircon being on has much effect on overall mpg, maybe 1-2 MPG difference. To get 500 miles to a tank would mean about 62 MPG. Yes that is possible, IF you only ever drive anywhere at 40-50 mph with little or no stop-starting. In the real world I have found I get between 350-400 miles to a tank (approx 45-50MPG) which I'm quite happy with, but still no-where near the Skoda claimed 64MPG combined figure, which is *******s.

Jay,  I'm also a 'Newbie Citigo owner' (three year old second hand model).  To help answer your question I did my first 'distance journey' recently. Bury St Edmunds to Grimsby and back via Thetford, Kings Lynn, Boston, through the Wolds in morning and evening traffic. I zero'd the fuel trip and the round journey gave me 65.5 mpg !!! (according to computer). That was a good mix of varied roads and commuter traffic (Boston & Kings Lynn a nightmare at 5.30pm).  The last time I ever got anywhere near 65mpg must have been from 3 in 1 oil on my roller skates !  So in theory these fantastic mpg figures are possible. I'm still on my first full tank of fuel but I'll do a brim to brim calculation when I next fill up and calculate the real world figures then.   

4 hours ago, jayeydoor97 said:

Hi, sorry to reply to an old thread I guess but I’m new to the Skoda forum and am loving my Citigo Black edition :biggrin: now I only just got it, and it’s a hot summer here in the UK so I’ve been using air con a lot (a luxury my old car did not have so happy about that). I just wanted to confirm a few things. I have been driving my car a lot since I got it and I’m not sure which setting on the sat nav trip computer is correct for the mileage I’ve done since I reset it and I’m not sure how much the air con is affecting it. So, if I have it set to “long term” which is what all the pictures on this thread have it set to, it displays 202 miles and 170 miles left in the tank making for about 372 miles of range on the whole tank (with about 45 mpg average atm -  a lot of new car fun it you know what I mean ;) - which I know isn’t very good mpg based on this thread. If it’s set to “since start” it displays less miles done but the same range left adding to a crap full tank run of like 240 miles, which I thought can’t be right even at 45 mpg. Can you guys 1) tell me which is the correct setting, long term or since start?,  2) does air con have a significant impact on fuel consumption? and 3) how gently do I need to drive and how long do the trips need to be on average to achieve these 55-65 mpg averages people are getting on here over a full tank?

Jay 

I don't own a Citigo, in fact they are not even sold in Australia but the 'since start' display stats are for the current journey and it resets to zero, for a new journey, when the car has been stationary, engine off, for a period of time (not sure exactly but something like two hours).

Other models in the Skoda range like my Octavia have three separate display modes for 'since start', 'since refuel' and 'long-term'. If your car does not have 'since refill' then I'd reset the 'long=term' when you refuel because otherwise it resets to zero every 9999 miles or 99 hours automatically, which is pretty unhelpful really.

Air-conditioning does have an effect on consumption. On a run it could be upto 5 mpg depending on weather but around town in stop/start traffic it will be far greater maybe 10 mpg or more.

This is because the air-con can near double the consumption rate at idle due to the increased load of running the air-con and the fan drawing air through the front radiator and air-con matrix.

The aircon is there for your comfort and safety and you are best using it rather than suffering for economy.

The awesome figures quoted by some in this thread are where they are achieving the holy trinity of  good driving with a good car in good conditions. For instance you can be assured their regular commute does not involve lots of heavy stop/start traffic.

Economical driving involves good anticipation of road conditions to avoid unnecessary use of the brakes and use of engine braking as much as possible when slowing is required. 

Lots of good tips and info  in the attached spritspartipps_par_0008_file.pdf

Edited by Gerrycan