Can't get comfortable driving position in Rapid sport

Hi everyone, I have had my car, a Rapid sport, for about 6 weeks and try as I might I just can't find a comfortable seat and steering wheel adjustment. Like everything on the Rapid the sport seats look great but are in reality awful. I'm actually developing a painful lower back. I'm 5'11 tall and average build, can anyone who has experienced a similar problem let me know of a good combination of adjustments that might help. I'm getting desperate!!! I don't think it helps that the steering wheel is off set to the left. I had a BMW where the pedals were off set to the right and that took some getting use to.

I find this. It's so cramped inside. The drivers seat doesn't go back far enough for me. I'm 6'4".

It is uncomfortable as if I lower the seat and steering wheel then the dials become obstructed. Crap design same as my Citigo was. It's made for midgets obviously. My Citigo was like a tardis compared to the Crapid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I find this. It's so cramped inside. The drivers seat doesn't go back far enough for me. I'm 6'4".

It is uncomfortable as if I lower the seat and steering wheel then the dials become obstructed. Crap design same as my Citigo was. It's made for midgets obviously. My Citigo was like a tardis compared to the Crapid.

I'm going to buy you a Citigo for Christmas, I can't bare to watch you suffer :sweat:

• Like 2

My Rapid is Left Hand Drive and it took me ages to get my seating right..The pedals are so far offset that the clutch pedal is actually in direct line with the steering column.  My foot would skid off the left edge of the clutch pedal or on a number of occasions my left foot missed the pedal completely and hit the floor.

My solution was to leave my foot on the clutch pedal after starting and swivel about 5 or ten degrees to the right in my seat and belt in.

It seems a poor thing to have to sit off centre but it is better than missing the pedal or skidding off and it actually stopped me getting back ache on long trips.     Rubbish really but there you go.  It's a Rapid.

Like everything on the Rapid the sport seats look great but are in reality awful. I'm actually developing a painful lower back.

First, you have to find your best position.

If your car does not support lumber regulation look for: "mesh lower back lumber support cushion"

post-132577-0-80896100-1438068752_thumb.jpg

After small modyfication it will be very helpful... ;)

• Like 1

That's the first time you ever bad-mouthed the Citigo on here.  Skoda products really getting on your t*ts now eh?

• Like 1

I'm also 6'4" but I find the Rapid Spaceback reasonably comfortable. My setup is as follows: seat back as far as it will go and as low as it will go. Then I have the steering wheel pulled quite far towards me and fairly low down - so I can just see the instruments through the wheel. Then I can drive with my elbows on the arm rests. Makes changing gears a slight pain, but I find it confortable enough.

I would take more leg room if it were offered, and the squabs could do with being a bit longer too, but the Rapid is no worse than the Astra I had before in that respect. I find I feel fresher after a long journey, wheras I used to get quite a sore back in the Astra. My car doesn't have the sport seats though, which I'm quite glad about.

• Like 1

Hi everyone, I have had my car, a Rapid sport, for about 6 weeks and try as I might I just can't find a comfortable seat and steering wheel adjustment. Like everything on the Rapid the sport seats look great but are in reality awful. I'm actually developing a painful lower back. I'm 5'11 tall and average build, can anyone who has experienced a similar problem let me know of a good combination of adjustments that might help. I'm getting desperate!!! I don't think it helps that the steering wheel is off set to the left. I had a BMW where the pedals were off set to the right and that took some getting use to.

I also developed a pain in the back within a month of ownership and it took me a while to realize what was responsible for it. I don't have the sports seats though.

My solution was to lower the seat and put a couch cushion to sit on. After that, the pain gradually subsided.

Maybe it's the combination of stiff suspension and stiff seat? I don't find the pedals placement too much of a problem.

• Like 1

That's the first time you ever bad-mouthed the Citigo on here. Skoda products really getting on your t*ts now eh?

Yes. Apparently the MK3 Octavia is no better. At least the Citigo catered for tall people.

Find the Rapid sports seats and position pretty good compared to the previous Octy III SE, with its hard unforgiving side bolsters and poor aliment of seat steering and foot peddles. Although a little more rearwards movement would be nice.

Mind no Skoda I've driven can hold a candle to our V40 when it comes to a comfy, multi adjustable (manual), and well positioned seat.

TP

• Like 1

Mind no Skoda I've driven can hold a candle to our V40 when it comes to a comfy, multi adjustable (manual), and well positioned seat.

Yes I agree.  I had a test drive in one superbly comfortable seats and driving position, unfortunately, I had to rule it out as it left too little room behind me for teenagers. 

Edited by picnmix

Thanks everyone, if anything I'd say that the car is very long and has lots of front and rear leg room. I liked the 90s men and motors thing on YouTube and I will give it a go in the morning. I feel that the steering wheel is too far away even in its furthest movement towards me. If I move closer to the dash to compensate then I'm cramped and there is no lumber support whatsoever. It's as if Skoda only worried about the Rapids looks and never tested how it works, drives or feels like. It's a real all round fake!

• Like 1

Back when I worked in the motor trade my old boss had a 7 series BMW, I remember it well cause of the massage function for both the drive and passenger seats - a very strange feeling at around 70mph to be having a massage. There was also the merc hard top that blew hot air round you neck when the roof was down... But then I only paid around 9k for my rapid and those cars you could add a zero to (£90k)... Anyway back to comfy skoda seats ;)

• Like 1

If it's any consolation I find the seats very comfortable but I don't have the sports ones. I've found sports seats in general to be fine if you're a boy racer and want that "held in" feel but for comfort you can't beat regular seats.

I got rid of my last Civic partly because of the uncomfortable seats and hard side bolsters mentioned above.

There sure is a lot of moaning going on in the forum about things that should really have been checked prior to parting with such a large amount of money.

What?  like the "centre console" thread, the "not enough cup-holders" thread, the "poor mpg" thread, "leaky doors", "noisy hatch", "poor build quality".  Admittedly if you bought one in 2012/13 some of that was unknown - but all of that information has been public domain since.  It's called research - like finding out the hotel you're booking has 95% Russian guests; find out first and go somewhere different.

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

What?  like the "centre console" thread, the "not enough cup-holders" thread, the "poor mpg" thread, "leaky doors", "noisy hatch", "poor build quality".  Admittedly if you bought one in 2012/13 some of that was unknown - but all of that information has been public domain since.  It's called research - like finding out the hotel you're booking has 95% Russian guests; find out first and go somewhere different.

I test drove one in 2013 and thought it was just dreadful, certainly after my MK2 Octavia...acres of plastic, poor seating and roadholding and the steering was so light it was dangerous...Sadly it was obvious from the first 100 yards that this was not well built..Bought the Roomster instead and a lot better vehicle but will be looking at the Seat Toledo next..They seem to hold their price better than the Rapid as well..

Mate, the Toledo is a "Rapid in drag".  Built from the same parts at the same factory.  It'll be just the same.

That said, the steering and suspension were rectified in late 2013 after the Spaceback came out.

It all comes down to price.  The RRP for either is ridiculously inflated - even with the trumpeted "price cuts" on the Rapid they're overpriced.

Mine's loaded, it's a £13k car and worth that.  What it isn't worth is the £17k plus of the sticker price. (or 18k or 20k with all the newer options.)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...