Cyclists and pedestrians

The only cycle lanes on my route to work are covered in parked cars so you'd be swerving in and out of traffic every twenty metres.

It's far safer to hold a consistent line and ignore the cycle lane.

There aren't any dedicated cycle paths that go anywhere near where I do.

I've given up even bothering getting mildly angry at parked cars in cycle lanes these days.

I've given up even bothering getting mildly angry at parked cars in cycle lanes these days.

The really daft thing is that it's a nice wide 30mph single carriageway so there's no actual need for a cycle lane - it's just a really easy place to put one so that the council can point to what they've done.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

A male pedestrian who was filmed pushing a female cyclist into the path of traffic is being sought by police.

The woman, who was wearing a helmet camera that filmed the incident asked the man not to cross the road until she had cycled past. He is heard shouting and swearing at the cyclist, who is in her early 40s, as he chased her down Sidney Street in Whitechapel, east London.

As she slowed down near a junction, the man, who is believed to be in his 40s and was wearing dark clothing, approached the cyclist, called her a “mug” and shoved her to the ground. She let out a cry and sounded distressed and injured.

The woman, who was upset by the assault but did not need medical treatment, moved herself and her bike to safety. She contacted police and handed over footage of the incident, which occurred on 1 May. The Met has released the video to help find the man.

Anyone who can identify the man is asked to contact police on 101, quoting images 180410 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111. (LINK)

There is an accompanying video - hopefully this guy will be identified and charged with attempted murder.

I can't be the only one who's been to Amsterdam and been shouted at by a cyclist when I crossed the cycle lane on Dam Rak too slowly

All I heard was a bell and "Cycle lane mother ****er !" as he flew past

Had the same in Hamburg; they're very protective of their cycle lanes and woe betide any pedestrian who dares walk in a cycle lane lol

On the other side, also when I was in Hamburg with the missus, a cyclist was using the footpath. Missus shouted 'anderen Seite, Idiot' (other side, Idiot [idiot is the same word but sounds harsher in Deutsch lol])

A bell is how cyclists are recommended to alert other people to their presence.

A car horn has the exact same use, it is to alert other road users to your presence. So why can't car/van drivers honk their horn when they can't safely pass a cyclist so the cyclist can pull into the side of the road and let them past?

As you eluded to before, under the road traffic act, tractors are supposed to do it, and so are cyclists! But not many people know or want to know that part.

• Like 3

Had the same in Hamburg; they're very protective of their cycle lanes and woe betide any pedestrian who dares walk in a cycle lane lol

On the other side, also when I was in Hamburg with the missus, a cyclist was using the footpath. Missus shouted 'anderen Seite, Idiot' (other side, Idiot [idiot is the same word but sounds harsher in Deutsch lol])

You do know that some dutch bikes brake by peddling backwards rather than having brakes right?

That's perhaps why they don't like to have to try and brake suddenly.

• 5 years later...

Things seem to be getting better in some areas of Scotland.

Millions and millions of quid are being thrown at it so things should improve.

Recently in my area the Council is really getting their act together with Core Paths for use by all as long as not on Motorised vehicles.

For years i have kept record and photographs of Vehicular Rights of ways & Rights of ways between public places that are for public passing over unhindered by locked gates or barbed wire fences etc.

Now it does not bother me if Houses and roads & paths get built where there were rights of way, what bothers me is that with the passage of time people who live there thinks the general public should no longer use the route to get from place to place.  Banning Motorised Vehicles is one thing but trying to stop those on feet, bike, wheelchair, pram, scooter etc is really taking the pith. That is becoming rather common.

http://gobike.org/cycling-info/cycling-faqs

http://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/news/article?article_ref=3341

Forth Ports (Dundee) were forcing cyclists out of the Port and onto a Dual Carriageway for a number of years.

DSCN0004.JPG

DSCN0006.JPG

DSCN0008.JPG

DSCN0011.JPG

DSCN0013.JPG

DSCN0016.JPG

Screenshot 2021-06-27 at 14.21.44.jpg

Screenshot 2021-06-27 at 15.09.04.jpg

Edited by e-Roottoot

You still have right of way as a pedestrian and if there's nowhere suitable for you to move out of the way then they just have to wait. Simple.

And as for cycle paths in the UK... They're generally just rubbish. Never enjoyed cycling in the UK but it's a pleasure here in Germany. With most of the cycle paths separate and away from the road.

And you have priority over traffic pulling out and into side roads. So here the cars have to wait for cyclists for instance:

spacer.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Phil-E said:

You still have right of way as a pedestrian and if there's nowhere suitable for you to move out of the way then they just have to wait. Simple.

And as for cycle paths in the UK... They're generally just rubbish. Never enjoyed cycling in the UK but it's a pleasure here in Germany. With most of the cycle paths separate and away from the road.

And you have priority over traffic pulling out and into side roads. So here the cars have to wait for cyclists for instance:

spacer.png

Yeah that threw me at first when she yelled STOP!!  turning into our little cul-de-sac. Now it's second nature to keep an eye out for cyclists and pedestrians when turning. 

• 1 month later...
On 01/08/2015 at 23:51, SimonJ said:

A pedestrian has right of way as far as I'm concerned so let them ding their bell.

Taking an old post to show a change in HC.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/review-of-the-highway-code-to-improve-road-safety-for-cyclists-pedestrians-and-horse-riders/outcome/government-response-to-the-review-of-the-highway-code

clarifying existing rules on pedestrian priority on pavements and that drivers and riders should give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross the road

Personally I've found in local parks that the appearance of a walking stick, or large branch makes some form of courtesy appear. But for those that get cyclists using horn. Enjoy-our lot just try to scream by. I'm usually in my mobility scooter with dog in front, so I act deaf and weave .

• Like 1

In the Midlands police are impounding escooters found to be using pavements.    I can't post the article at mom,but changes are afoot to HC regarding priority Vs vulnerability.

Local to me the council has been give pots of money to make things safer for cyclists. There is an old trunk road that has been downgraded due to a bypass being built. The council have narrowed the road considerably and built enormous cycleways. Although it should make little difference to the capacity of the road (except possibly if parking is allowed or in case of breakdowns, the issue is that the track isn't consistently on one side of the road. This will necessitate cyclists crossing the road, causing a hazard to themselves and motorists. There are a significant number of cyclists who won't use a path because 'we don't have to' who will probably continue cycling along the now narrower and more hazardous carriageway. As far as I'm concerned there was little wrong with the road as it was, and an enormous amount of taxpayer's money has been wasted

• Like 1

Most cyclists are great, it’s just the Lycra clad nutters that seem to think that everyone has to get out of their way and that riding four abreast is OK, that cause grief down my way.