Sport mode

I see no point in the mode button, to be honest.. I bought a vrs, i want full beans the whole time. Changed it to the economy setting once, bad mistake, even with a motorway trundle, the mpg got worse, 5 miles later, i stuck it back in sport mode... If it made the settings sharper, then fair enough, but anything other than sport mode is like decaf coffee, or vegetarianism, i mean, whats the point??????

• Like 4

There is one relevant difference between (at least) ECO and the two other modes: when no power is needed (e.g. When going down), the clutch is disengaged and revs down to 800 rpm, until you brake or speed up.

Last winter, when back from the Alps, I drove in tandem with my son, following him. He ´s still young driver, and not entitled to more than 110km/h in highways. Back then, I used ECO for the first time, and achieved the lowest consumption value I ever did.

5.9l/100km compared to usual 6.2 at such speed in normal, so maybe 5% less petrol ...

• Like 1

You have more control with a manual car.

In (engine only) sport mode I feel like I'm driving a different car - but only if I feel like it!

On a manual, the mode selection is more like pedal map, or?

It kinda makes more sense on a Dsg where the actually is a difference on car behaviour.

It's just a gimmick.

Controllable with a manual gearbox, waste of time with a diesel DSG.

I agree, at least for the manual (which is the only one I have experience of).

If I want the car to accelerate quicker, I put my right foot down a bit further. What's the point in having a WOT with the pedal only halfway down? What's the rest of the pedal travel for? Fun?

I have mine in normal all the time. Suits my lugubrious driving style and gives passers-by more of a chance to take in my classic good looks.

In the DSG, I sometimes select sport mode then touch the gear level so it does back into normal but the sound generator is still there.  My sound generator isn't as loud as when I purchased it.

I prefer the semi auto when you push the lever to the left controlling the gear change. The car seems to fly!

But you can only get the turning lights in sport? What would be the best option to make sure that you have all the functionality turned on but don't want to be on "maximum atrack" (as much as you can with am octavia)

But you can only get the turning lights in sport? What would be the best option to make sure that you have all the functionality turned on but don't want to be on "maximum atrack" (as much as you can with am octavia)

The turning lights are present in normal as well. But I think they move abit faster in sport. There is an individual setting where you can mix and match just the way you want it.

• Like 1

On my my16 i can have the turning lights on in individual setting:

• Like 1

Vrs mode turns everything to 11?

It affects throttle response, lights,steering and the DSG if youre getting one, at least that whats sportsmode does on my 1.8tsi.

And it will make noise generator make more noise.

• Like 1

But most importantly in individual mode, you can turn the sound generator OFF!! :)

Why on earth does it have a sound generator? What is wrong with the sound it makes just by being a car !!?

Next they'll be putting in speedos that show 160 mph when you're doing 40 !

• Like 1

I see no point in the mode button, to be honest.. I bought a vrs, i want full beans the whole time. Changed it to the economy setting once, bad mistake, even with a motorway trundle, the mpg got worse, 5 miles later, i stuck it back in sport mode... If it made the settings sharper, then fair enough, but anything other than sport mode is like decaf coffee, or vegetarianism, i mean, whats the point??????

Agree, Buy a VRS drive it. What does a few MPG matter. Enjoy

Eco mode gives me exactly the same fuel economy as sport mode yet less fun... Prompt acceleration (not flooring it though) then cruising and managing speed and reading ahead gets me easily 40mpg on the way to work in my tsi vrs on country roads. The last few mins in mk brings it down if I'm not careful due to the national speed limit and roundabouts every few hundred yards.

Eco mode gives me exactly the same fuel economy as sport mode yet less fun... Prompt acceleration (not flooring it though) then cruising and managing speed and reading ahead gets me easily 40mpg on the way to work in my tsi vrs on country roads. The last few mins in mk brings it down if I'm not careful due to the national speed limit and roundabouts every few hundred yards.

You have a manual gearbox I presume?

Slightly concerned about that disengaging clutch thing.... On my driving courses, much was made of keeping the car driving to increase purchase on the surface, and avoiding coasting at all costs as the car is not under control as much....... Keep it in sport methinks.....

On a manual, the mode selection is more like pedal map, or?

It kinda makes more sense on a Dsg where the actually is a difference on car behaviour.

Problem is, on a 1.4 TSI the torque is going, going, gone by 4K revs so holding the gear until 6K makes the car go slower, really needs a pedal map for the throttle and a maximum torque mode for the DSG.  Only on the 1.8 where the engine map had been torque tuned will the car see any benefits from holding the revs so high.

Probably, I havent really tested it that much. I usually have my dog in the boot, and he wouldnt like it much if I floored it :p

My car output 280nm from 1350rpm to 4500rpm according to the manual. Wonder how fast it drops after that.

But I wonder about one thing.

Is there different pedalmaps between sport and normal mode?

And what happens by selecting sportmode, but putting the gearbox in normal? Will it still be responsiv, but stop to rev so high?

Problem is, on a 1.4 TSI the torque is going, going, gone by 4K revs so holding the gear until 6K makes the car go slower, really needs a pedal map for the throttle and a maximum torque mode for the DSG.  Only on the 1.8 where the engine map had been torque tuned will the car see any benefits from holding the revs so high.

In all the assorted Octavias I've had (all petrol) I have never seen any point in revving their heads off - just don't seem to need it. You can feel when the engine is good for the next gear.

But I wonder about one thing.

Is there different pedalmaps between sport and normal mode?

And what happens by selecting sportmode, but putting the gearbox in normal? Will it still be responsiv, but stop to rev so high?

Yes, thats how I can get my fuel economy figures.  Sports Mode and DSG manually changing up at peak torque as seen from a rolling road I've done previously.

BTW. the torque limit on the DSG box only applys in 1st and 2nd gear after that its a free for all hence, when you do a dyno you need to do it in 3rd gear.