7 weeks of ownership - not for me

Ah I think you must have had the A-Class if it was equivalent to the 1-Series.

I must say, that apart from the noise, the C-class was a beautiful car, but far too expensive, and I have more toys on my L&K!

I loved my mk2 FL vRS, but just fancied something a bit different this time, with plenty of bells and whistles.

I've only driven the 184 version of the VAG Diesel engine in the new Golf GTD, and I thought it was plenty quick - even my 150 coupled with the DSG box has good mid-range poke, and probably all the power you really need. Can't see how someone could call the vRS slow! Again, comparable car - my mate has a 320d with 8 speed auto, and that shifts plenty!

Enjoy your vRS - as a whole I think Skodas are great cars, hence I'm returning to the marque after having a couple of company cars...a new 1-series (very good apart from being a bit small) and the new Mazda 6, that apart from being very quiet on a motorway cruise, is one of the worst built, most irritating cars I've ever owned!! Just goes to show, no matter what car you own, there's always going to be differing opinions, and cars that are full of gremlins!

Correct and correct! :) cheers.

Before i got the VRS, the best car i ever got given on hire, hands down was a Toyota avensis. Believe it or not!! It was imo the best car i have drove, it was brand new, new shape, think it was 2012? It for me was just good at everything, even had a reversing camera.

I would like to get this car again next, just to see how i feel when i get back into my VRS! This will be my bench mark all time test!

Edited by Rutty555

Peoples levels of tolerance to "faults" or not being happy with a particular car should not deem the whole marque to be rubbish but I understand you wanting to move on.

I've just had a nightmare 9 weeks with a brand new Ford Fiesta ST 3 but would not ridicule the whole brand. I was unfortunate to have an ever growing list of faults, which were getting ignored or being made worse by poor workmanship and a particularly bad main dealer that wasn't interested.

I took a big hit and traded a nearly new car and moved back to VAG to a new "Golf R" and love it but sit everyday with my fingers crossed hoping it will be as faultless/relaible as my MK2 Octavia vRS was ;)

Edited by Defenderben
  • Like 1

I had the 180 Diesel. The one thats a bit like the bmw 1series. Two exhauts at the back?! Sorry so vague, was just what was given me, seen the pipes and seats and thought mmmm this is sporty ish..

Was horrid. Horrid, horrid horrid. Dont no were to start: 500 miles on it, rattles everywhere, engine was like a tractor, auto box was shocking, steering was a big difference from vrs. Vrs is ace. Visability was poor, all round. Lights were pooor. I could not get my left foot comfy, i no they are different cars, and the octy has more space and im 6'2 but still, im including it. The infotainment centre was poor, hard to use. And just poor. Heating/aircon was complicated and poor..The cockpit, seats aside looked cheap..

I said earlier i would have 7/8 hire cars a year for 4 days at a time, and when i used to get back to Belfast airport and get in my 1.9tdi octy the seats always let me down after getting out of hire cars, audi's beemers insignias etc.

NOT this time. It was a pure joy getting back into my vrs. The dash is quality, the seats are sublime, the position your in is perfect, the controls are easy and straight forward, were they should be. Nothing in the vrs cockpit looks or feels cheap.

All of course in my opinion.

Ps: i know there is a popular belief that the vrs tdi is not a fast car, or a sports car blah blah blah, but it gets down the road for me fast enough, and sounds better than alot especially the merc diesel.

The cars i drive, hire, own, could own, have ever drove, would be all around 25k the best prob was 10k more (hire) and obviously loads that were bangers.

The VRS is hands down the best car I've ever been in, drove.

Thats all i can say.

Hmmmm I think the A Class probably looks a little better both outside and in than it is in reality but still to compare what sounds to be an A180 CDI Sport with a vRS TDI isnt entirely fair.

The 180 is only a 1.5 109hp motor and I dont think the A Class is that light despite its size so it wont be fast. Merc 4 cylinder diesels arent the last word on refinement but the bigger 2.1 litre unit does put out good headline power and bags of torque.....an A220 CDI probably would give a vRS TDI a bit of a run in a straight line.

I got my vrs on the simpsons pch deal after seeing it on facebook.

i saw the deal, loved the price and thought it was too cheap to not take up.  id never ever considered a skoda.

i absolutely frickin love this car, id say its one of if not THE best car ive ever had, ill be very sad when i have to hand it back.

my cousin had a civic type r and he loved it.  He traded It in and got the merc a250 amg sport (petrol engine so not really comparable to vrs tdi) he initially loved it but after living with it for a couple of years he now despises it.  He had a look at my vrs when I got it and he was blown away with it.  Said it was so much more car than his merc for a lot less money.

• Like 1

Hmmmm I think the A Class probably looks a little better both outside and in than it is in reality but still to compare what sounds to be an A180 CDI Sport with a vRS TDI isnt entirely fair.

The 180 is only a 1.5 109hp motor and I dont think the A Class is that light despite its size so it wont be fast. Merc 4 cylinder diesels arent the last word on refinement but the bigger 2.1 litre unit does put out good headline power and bags of torque.....an A220 CDI probably would give a vRS TDI a bit of a run in a straight line.

Twin exhaust out the back? Was that model anyway. And how much is this car?

Wanted the c class mercedes but, woahful dealers in my area and a lack of any sort of deal and I gave up.

Is a c class nicer to be in than the Octavia? Yes by miles but then it should be if you compare list prices. The c class also has a lot of spec as standard.

• Like 1

Wanted the c class mercedes but, woahful dealers in my area and a lack of any sort of deal and I gave up.

Is a c class nicer to be in than the Octavia? Yes by miles but then it should be if you compare list prices. The c class also has a lot of spec as standard.

How does it compare on size (rear leg room and boot space). This is one reason why I won't Skoda over any other option (A4, C class)...well that and price.

How does it compare on size (rear leg room and boot space). This is one reason why I won't Skoda over any other option (A4, C class)...well that and price.

rear leg room not much difference part from the massive transmission tunnel which probably makes 3 in the rear an issue (but no different to any RWD car). Boot space however is no where near as good as the Octavia. Interior is light years ahead of Skoda (but then you are paying for it). Without doubt it makes you feel special sitting in it (albeit the stupid tablet style screen - but it grows on you the more you look at it).

Drive wise, it's very smooth and you can tell it's set up for long cruising comfort than sport tourer. Steering is a little vague......but then so are a lot of modern cars.

It was my first choice - but sadly even DrivetheDeal let me down on their "advertise" price, and dealers are honestly the worse I've come across......even as far as telling me what I should buy, and that's all I could order!!

Well, after 7 weeks of owning an MY15 Skoda VRS, and 12 weeks waiting for it to be built, my experience of Skoda is over, and unfortunately all i can say is thank god. Traded in at Audi, wish i had just gone to them in the first place.

Have posted my issues on several other topics but in summary the key contributors to my horrific experience of the brand are as follows, 

• My original dealer i brought the car from (Autosales - Burntwood Cannock), lied to me, and said there were no imminent spec changes at the time of ordering, and then my car got built the week before the MY16 changeover. They denied this change was happening whilst i still had time to change the spec of my car and then admitted it afterwards but dismissed it as important. 
  •  
  • From the  day i brought it i suffered from the pressure build up in the cabin and the low frequency boom, as posted elsewhere my first dealer had the car twice and refused to acknowledge the problem.   
  •  
  • The second dealer i took it to, (Trust Group - Wolverhampton) could not of been more helpful, they acknowledged the problem straight away and said the car was faulty as delivered. They had one attempt at fixing it based on advice from the Technical department, and were happy to have more attempts, and were waiting on parts in September.  

But i decided i had had enough over the 4.5 months i had been dealing with Skoda. id either been lied to, or misled, and then been delivered a faulty car, and then told a problem didn't exist when it did. 

Apart from the boom and cabin pressure issues, the ride was ridiculously hard, even for a sports model, the noise in the cabin was very intrusive, on some roads you could not hold a conversation with a passenger it was so poor and the standard stereo was horrible to listen to. 

I had other issues with a faulty tyre pressure indicator system and the amundsen system just deleted all my settings one day for no reason.

Im sure there are plenty of Skoda Octavia VRS owners who are delighted with their car and good luck to you, I am glad your experience was worlds away from mine. But as my old Granddad used to say, you should only speak as you find, and what i found with Skoda was a brand best kept well away from.

I would like to thank all the Briskodians who have offered advice to me over the few short months i have been on the forum. 

Sorry to hear about all your woes, enjoy your Audi and I hope it serves you well.

PS. It's Bought, not brought. When you buy something, you have bought it. When you bring something, you have brought it. HTH  :nerd:

• Like 1

rear leg room not much difference part from the massive transmission tunnel which probably makes 3 in the rear an issue (but no different to any RWD car). Boot space however is no where near as good as the Octavia. Interior is light years ahead of Skoda (but then you are paying for it). Without doubt it makes you feel special sitting in it (albeit the stupid tablet style screen - but it grows on you the more you look at it).

The Octavia's transmission tunnel is pretty massive for a front wheel drive car. And the middle rear seat is cramped for a relatively large car. I do think the styling of the dash, if not the quality, compares well with other cars in its class, particularly the Focus. Friends and colleagues have commented positively on it.

Sorry to hear about all your woes, enjoy your Audi and I hope it serves you well.

PS. It's Bought, not brought. When you buy something, you have bought it. When you bring something, you have brought it. HTH  :nerd:

That's probably a typo. His spelling's better that some.

The Octavia's transmission tunnel is pretty massive for a front wheel drive car.

That's because of the option of the Four wheel drive manual versions

That's quite a price to pay for the 90% of cars which aren't four wheel drive.

It Depends on the markeds. Up here 75% of the BMWs sold so far this year are 4x4s. Not sure how it is with Skoda, but I dont think the number is much smaller.

But then again, Norway is a tiny marked overall.

Would think it's far less with Skoda - don't forget, BMW's X-drive is available on a wide range of models, and a wide range of engines, whereas there's only a couple of Skoda 4x4 variants.

Still, I'm surprised BMW shifted that %age of X-drives! Interesting!

Now Im just guessing, but I think Skoda has a quite high % of 4x4.

We can have the 105, 150 and 184bhp TDIs as 4x4 and the 1.8tsi as 4x4. And all three scoutversions.

Like I have yet to see a MK3 vrs around here, but I get the impression that they sell quite good in the Uk? At least this forum gives that impression.

iT would be costly for the manufacturer to make different floor pans for 2and 4 wheel drive models,also the basic floorpan is shared with other models in the vw group, so a one size fits all saves on r & d costs

• Like 1

It's a cheaper price to pay than to tool up two different platforms, complexity of builds and stick holding

• Like 1

Each to their own, but I wouldnt touch the C class unless I was paid a lot of money. All the write ups i see go on about this lush interior, so fantastic and amazing, best of the bunch etc etc.

OK so the materials may be nice, and it may be very well put together, but to me it just looks ugly. Everything about the interior looks wrong. Plus what is that funny thing sticking up on top of the dash? Is that meant to be an infotainment system? Or did someone forget to take out their IPad after building the car?

Sorry, must calm down. I just looked at another picture of the interior and nearly puked.

Each to their own though.

Now if you'd like to cross my palms with an XE!! Now we could have a deal

Now Im just guessing, but I think Skoda has a quite high % of 4x4.

We can have the 105, 150 and 184bhp TDIs as 4x4 and the 1.8tsi as 4x4. And all three scoutversions.

Like I have yet to see a MK3 vrs around here, but I get the impression that they sell quite good in the Uk? At least this forum gives that impression.

in the UK you can only have the 150 or 184 TDI as a Scout 4x4. That's it. Two 4x4 options, no more.