1.8T 150/180bhp differences?

Hi, quick question please - can anyone tell me, in a nutshell, what the difference(s) are between the 150bhp engine (as found in the Elegance 4x4) and the 180bhp version found in the VRS? I presume there's mechanical differences, rather than just mapping differences, since most remapping companies list around the same 30bhp difference between stage 1 remaps for the two versions (and if it was just mapping differences, then presumably a stage 1 remap would give the same output from both). Different cams, maybe, or different turbo?

Biggest difference is turbo, KO3s on the vRS as opposed to a KO3 on non vRS 1.8T cars.  So this will make most of your gain.  I can't remember whether the non VRS has a throttle drive by wire arrangement rather than conventional butterfly controlled by a throttle cable.  Differences in the block and head will be minimal in terms of affecting power potential.

Biggest difference is turbo, KO3s on the vRS as opposed to a KO3 on non vRS 1.8T cars. So this will make most of your gain. I can't remember whether the non VRS has a throttle drive by wire arrangement rather than conventional butterfly controlled by a throttle cable. Differences in the block and head will be minimal in terms of affecting power potential.

thats not correct im afraid as I've looked at multiple VRS and 4x4s back when I was buying mine and they all has KO3s units. The differences come purely from the Ecu mapping. Block, injectors etc are the same and are capable of the same when mapped. :)

Why the difference in stage 1 remap bhp claims from reappears then? Surely if the engines were mechanically the same, a stage 1 remap should be capable of giving the same figure from both versions?

How do you tell whether the turbo is K03 or K03S?

They'll remap to the same power if the right person does it.

Of the dozen or so remapping companies I've looked at online, Shark are the only one claiming the same figure for a stage one map on both versions. Every other has around the same 30bhp difference between the two.

They can both be the same since as mentioned they are mechanically the same, it's all down to the mapping and who does it. When I had my MK1 vRS, mapping the 1.8T was in its early days and Jabbasport could custom Rolling Road map both the 150 and 180BHP versions of the 1.8T to exactly the same BHP of around 215BHP or so.

We are talking the facelift version with the DBW throttle, the earlier cable operated version is slightly different.

Looking at VW 1.8T as Jabbasport currently do not list the Skoda version (Stage 1) VW use exactly the same engine.

150BHP = 210BHP

180BHP = 210BHP

Why the difference in stage 1 remap bhp claims from reappears then? Surely if the engines were mechanically the same, a stage 1 remap should be capable of giving the same figure from both versions?

They map to the same as they are the same hardware components. I used JabbaSport for mine and they quoted the same. Nowadays I'd use Shark (nothing wrong with the Jabba 1.8t map however) and they also quote the same. :)

The engines are definitely the SAME apart from maps.

I remember attending a Briskoda Jabbasport remap & rolling road day with my first 150bhp 4x4 along with several people with 180 vRS's.

Mine was mapped to 222bhp which was exactly within the range of 218 -232bhp (from memory) that others got from their VRS's, and a couple had Milltek backboxes.

My second 150bhp 4x4 had a Stage 1 Revo for convenience which I reckon (who knows) had somewhere between 200 and 210 bhp - with 170,000m on it just before I sold it in fine fettle !

Edited by Fabpreza

After 2001 (facelift) all 1.8t skoda's (150, 180) including 4x4 had K03s. There are no mechanical differences in engines.

This is the correct answer. The later 4x4s are the same engine as used in the VRS.

ARX - 150hp K03s DBW -> stage 1 cca 205hp  (arx for 4x4)

@STSKODA

I think the 4x4 has a different front exhaust section compared to the VRS, can't remember if this is better or not -  it has twin cat section but exit form turbo is same than vRS. Cats should be more flowable but its restriced befor cats.

Edited by robek85

The engine code is stamped on a flange at the top of the head on the left hand side under the plastic engine cover ,mine was ARX on my old 4x4 1.8t and all 4x4s have ko3s turbo mine was a Y reg .

• Like 1

dunno if it's any help.....

I researched this exact issue before getting mine remapped (which turbo ie K03/K03s),& why if the same engine/turbo do remappers quote more bhp for Vrs etc).

I concluded that I don't know why many of them claim that on their websites... it's incorrect to do so....any 1.8t with a K03s will remap to the SAME as a Vrs.

I was told this too by R-Tech, who remapped mine ('52 reg 1.8t elegance 2WD, engine code AUM).

After remap I took it to Surrey Rolling Road, it made 205bhp & 235lb/ft torque with no other mods (apart from Pipercross panel filter, which I doubt gives me more than 1 or 2 bhp extra)

Edit...& for piece of mind, since remap it's done over 60k miles (90k total), with no related mechanical issues.

Edited by Jonathan_1.8T

Map will give the same power on both if the mapper knows what he is doing, re what they claim, a claim is just that

Re the 4x4 it runs shorter ratios so will accelerate quicker & with 4WD will grip, not spin. If you are running 300 bhp or more you are going to hit the limiter in top easily ( you will also need a brake & suspension upgrade ) !!!!

VRS gearbox internals ( cogs)  will fit in the 4x4 box if you want to up the ratios after tuning,

VRS internals take the top speed up but aren't that strong, ( again from experience. ) If you are going much over 300 bhp & intend to use all those horsies the TT 6 speed box with a drive shaft change & prop mod fits,