Front tyres-VRS estate

Hi guys....I know you can help.

After 18K miles from new, my original equipment Contisport 2 front tyres need replacing soon.  At 68 years of age, I don't drive it like a lunatic, but I DO have the odd bit of fun in it, and I'm pleased with the mileage I have got from the Contis.  Do I just swap 'like for like' or do you guys think there is a better option - bearing in mind price, handling and wear rate?  I had Toyo Proxes C1s on my last car and they were superb - but may not give a decent mileage.  Help/Advice please......

Make sure you don't go to a chain tyre shop as they will rip you off. Stick to somewhere like blackcircles, mytyres, camskill etc and then get th fitted at your local (competent) garage for peanuts.

I've personally gone for Michellin Pilot Sport 3's on the front of my estate and they are fantastic, about £78 a corner at the time.

There will be many suggestions of other good tyres too so take your pick and enjoy.

Vote for the Michelin PS3s.

Was at a main dealer recently and chatting to the service guy, he advised against Dunlops or Pirellis when replacing OE tyres. The ones they have seen begin to "step" prematurely.

I had no problems with the original Sport Contact 2s that came on the car but the PS3s were notably better.

Although not as highly rated I managed to nab a pair of 20 mile old Pirelli P Zeros for £40 the pair which I'm going to put on the rear soon.

Make sure you don't go to a chain tyre shop as they will rip you off. Stick to somewhere like blackcircles, mytyres, camskill etc and then get th fitted at your local (competent) garage for peanuts.

I've personally gone for Michellin Pilot Sport 3's on the front of my estate and they are fantastic, about £78 a corner at the time.

There will be many suggestions of other good tyres too so take your pick and enjoy.

nah, you priece through blackcircles, then phone up the fitting centre and get them to beat the blackcircles price,  thats what i do.

I'm using Rainsport 3's on my fabia hatch. I have a very spirited driving style and do a lot of town miles but I get 15k from the fronts and if you rotate them I get more like 20 from a set. 57 quid a pop from tyreleader, can't fault them one bit. Excellent grip and feel In all weather, makes the road feel dry when driving in the wet. I much prefer them to the conti's I had on before.

If you got 18k from thr originals and with no complaints then stick with them.

Everyone will have different opinions on tyre choice based on many factors....you seem to have been fine with the originals. Why change?

• 1 year later...

The dealer I'm purchasing my Fabia vRS is putting Kumho Ecsta Le Sport KU39 with the xl reinforced sides on my car before I pick it up. £72 a pop on black circles and have an excellent rating for driving in the wet.

anyone else got these on their vRS what do you think of them?

Edited by CitigoCuti

I've just purchased a pair of PS3's after hearing so many good reviews about them and will be fitting them once my RS3's are down to the limit. I've always bought mine from Oponeo, they've always been the cheapest out of blackcircles and the others.

(£148 for a pair)

@CitigoCuti is the dealer paying for them or are you? They're currently £58 on Oponeo.

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/kumho-ku39-205-40-r17-84-y-xl#131738790

Edited by LGM

Oponeo certainly is cheaper - I notice that price didn't include fitting though where as the black circles price does.

how much would a company like Rsr or kwik fit charge for fit, valve and balance - I'm curious as it's not something I've ever done just buying the tyres?

fortunately the dealer is paying to replace all 4 tyres (dunlops on the car are shot and I definitely don't want them!) - I chose the Kumho tyres out of the choice they could get. I offered to pay more for better tyres but they could only get the michalins at £140 a tyre so I said thanks but no thanks to that. Continentals and pirellis were the other choices but not the p-zeros all at extra cost to me.

ive had Kumho before and thought they were brill.

Edited by CitigoCuti

7 hours ago, CitigoCuti said:

Oponeo certainly is cheaper - I notice that price didn't include fitting though where as the black circles price does.

how much would a company like Rsr or kwik fit charge for fit, valve and balance - I'm curious as it's not something I've ever done just buying the tyres?

My local tyre place who I use every year (change from summer to winters) only charge me £5 per tyre and that's with balancing. 

On 13/08/2015 at 13:19, Brianleeds said:

Hi guys....I know you can help.

After 18K miles from new, my original equipment Contisport 2 front tyres need replacing soon.  At 68 years of age, I don't drive it like a lunatic, but I DO have the odd bit of fun in it, and I'm pleased with the mileage I have got from the Contis.  Do I just swap 'like for like' or do you guys think there is a better option - bearing in mind price, handling and wear rate?  I had Toyo Proxes C1s on my last car and they were superb - but may not give a decent mileage.  Help/Advice please......

Hi mate. I have 4 conti sport 2 with a good 6mm on that I have just taken off as have replaced the wheels and keeping the 17,s with winters on. They have 6mm right across and no repairs. Pm me with an offer