Fancy a new motorbike... Help!

Fabia_19

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a little bit of help!

I've been riding for 2-3 years now and have absolutely loved my GSF600 Bandit, it really has been a great bike. However I now feel it's time for a change and fancy a new toy within the next few months.

I fancy something with a little more power whilst still being comfortable as I am 6ft4. The bike would only come out on weekends and sunny days and my budget will be approximately 3-4k.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be very keen to hear them :)

Thanks

Oli

Hmm we like new toy shopping.

At 6ft 4 your going to want something of a sensible size.

Do you want a large muscle bike, unfaired ? A big capacity sports bike ? An aventure sports upright ?

Give us some pointers so we can start buying for you !!!

Sorry- a little bit vague I guess as I'm open to ideas.

Ideally I'd like something faired. I'm only 23 so 1000cc sports bikes are out of the question really due to insurance premiums. I've looked at VFR800s, ZX7Rs, older ZX6R's but I really don't know what other options there are! Definitely not wanting an adventure type bike, bit too young for those just yet ;)

Thanks all

Edited by Fabia_19

You could look at something like a fazer 1000 or newer fz1 ? Z1000sx. Triumph sprint st. The bigger capacity bike ate physically bigger so will be more suited to your height.

Something like a zx7r would be very cramped for you.

I'm 6'1" and have had a Suzuki GSX1400 which would be in budget and is a roomy motorcycle. It's a naked, retro-styled bike and has got a great engine.

Or one of my current bikes is a Tiger 1050 which suit the taller chap. An earlier one of those is also within budget.

Or maybe as you like the 600 what about a 1200/1250 Bandit?

I'm not sure that I'd be able to insure a 1400cc bike at 23? I do have 2, almost 3 years no claims.

I do like the older Sprint 955i and as a sports tourer maybe a little less to insure.

As much as I love my Bandit I'd like a different bike rather than the 1250 Bandit

Sorry, more posts whilst I was typing. My suggestions aren't really what you want.

If 1000 sports bikes are out of question the suggestion of a Fazer 1000 is a good one. Half-faired and go like crazy!

Other than that I'm struggling to think of anything!

Edited by VAGCF

Yeah I'm struggling as well! That's why I was thinking about VFR800's. More power than my current bike but not an out and out race bike. The FZ1's are certainly very quick but I'm not sure that I'm looking for that type of performance

Yeah I'm struggling as well! That's why I was thinking about VFR800's. More power than my current bike but not an out and out race bike. The FZ1's are certainly very quick but I'm not sure that I'm looking for that type of performance

Ive got a vfr800vtec.

Only problem with it is the fuelling. Its not perfect, but the later models are supposed to be abit better.

The vtec on the earlier ones is quite abrupt. Abit like a power band. Can be quite entertaining once you get used to it.

Handles well enough. I dont have to worry about not keeping up with anyone. Its more than capable really

Have a look at big trail bikes as mentioned above. Insurance isn't all down engine CC's. Have a look at a Honda Varadero XL1000V. Big bike with plenty of grunt, surprisingly agile, comfortable and bullet proof. I really engined owning mine and clocked up more miles on it than any other bike I've owned. Youve seriously got to try one. Even though not a sports bike they can keep up with them on twisties but when the roads straighten out you can wave good bye to them until you catch them at the next set of bends.

You could look at something like a fazer 1000

That would be on my list. Fast, decent handling, comfy and they can look really good with a few decent mods. Should get a really nice one for 4 grand. Something like this (without the gash seat).

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201508136012210

Speed Triple? ZRX1200?

Need more of an idea what he actually wants from a bike though, it's all rather vague, lol.

That would be on my list. Fast, decent handling, comfy and they can look really good with a few decent mods. Should get a really nice one for 4 grand. Something like this (without the gash seat).

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201508136012210

Speed Triple? ZRX1200?

Need more of an idea what he actually wants from a bike though, it's all rather vague, lol.

That linked bike looks good for the cash tbh.

Add another £100 for the removal of the alarm ;).

Even better if it hadnt of had its loomed butchered in the first place lol

That linked bike looks good for the cash tbh.

Add another £100 for the removal of the alarm ;).

Even better if it hadnt of had its loomed butchered in the first place lol

I only glanced at the pics, didn't spot it had an alarm. Sell the gash seat to pay for the alarm removal, lol.

• Like 1

Or maybe as you like the 600 what about a 1200/1250 Bandit?

The 600 and 1200 are actually very different to ride, you won't necessarily like the 1200, just because you liked the 600.

I love my old VFR800 but it's pre Vtec. I tried a couple of Vtec's but didn't like that kick when the extra valves cut in. It's just gimmicky nonsense anyway as one of the bike mags compared pre Vtec and Vtec on the dyno and the only difference was a dip in power before a jump back up on the Vtec. There was no low rev torque advantage or any power advantage. You'll also pay a lot more for your valve clearance check as well. Try both but I'd be looking for a mint low mileage pre Vtec.

I love my old VFR800 but it's pre Vtec. I tried a couple of Vtec's but didn't like that kick when the extra valves cut in. It's just gimmicky nonsense anyway as one of the bike mags compared pre Vtec and Vtec on the dyno and the only difference was a dip in power before a jump back up on the Vtec. There was no low rev torque advantage or any power advantage. You'll also pay a lot more for your valve clearance check as well. Try both but I'd be looking for a mint low mileage pre Vtec.

Good luck searching for a mint low mileage pre vtec though. I spent months lookin for one and there wasnt one i could be happy with.

Nearly got one in London. Listed on the Saturday. I rang up on the sunday and said i could drive down on the Monday (4 hours each way). Somebodu came monday mornin n beat me to it.

The vtec is a gimmick but it does pick its feet up when it kicks in, all of a sudden. I quite like it. Kinda like a powerband.

Everything else is better on tge vtec too. Better frame, better suspension, better headlights. Better everything lol.

Edited by fabiamk2SE

Theres so many to choose from id suggest at least deciding what type of bike otherwise you might as well pick one based on budget as the deciding factor

Z1000 if you want naked or z1000sx if you need some fairing protection

It's just gimmicky nonsense anyway as one of the bike mags compared pre Vtec and Vtec on the dyno and the only difference was a dip in power before a jump back up on the Vtec. There was no low rev torque advantage or any power advantage

Yup, it was just one of those Honda being Honda for the sake of it moments. It is a daft idea, all it does is make the bike more peaky - the step in the power curve when the extra valves open doesn't give any more power, it just feels that way because there's less lower down than their should be. Even among the VFR diehards it was never a popular model.

Z1000 if you want naked or z1000sx if you need some fairing protection

He'd get an early Z1000 (as in the 2003-2005 shape, not the seventies ones) for his budget, which are the best looking ones anyway, but the SX is way over budget.

Yup, it was just one of those Honda being Honda for the sake of it moments. It is a daft idea, all it does is make the bike more peaky - the step in the power curve when the extra valves open doesn't give any more power, it just feels that way because there's less lower down than their should be. Even among the VFR diehards it was never a popular model.

Amoungst the diehards no, its not. Because they like gear driven cams and the rest of it.

The vtec gets abit of getting used to but it is genuinly quite fun once you get used to it. Just dont hover around thr midrange (which you dont need to anyway).

Ive done 8000 miles on mine now, in the last year, and it still looks like its just rolled out the factory too tbh. Maybe even better since ive done a few bits. Cant say that about a Triumph, which is what puts me off. Ask ChrisWright, he uses his bike too.

The vtec gets abit of getting used to but it is genuinly quite fun once you get used to it. Just dont hover around thr midrange (which you dont need to anyway).

But it would be a better bike without it, all it does is rob the engine of midrange, for no benefit elsewhere. It's just Honda trying to be clever and adding complication for the sake of it, as they so often do (NR750, anyone?). Soichiro wouldn't have approved of it. If I want a powerband I'll finish rebuild my TDR 250, lol. But probably not any time soon. Would be great to swing a leg over it again though, two strokes rock :)

Edited by StripleR675