Superb MKIII owners register

Picked up my new superb today.

L&K 190dsg 4x4 Laser white

Massage seat - gimmick :)

Progressive steering - lovely

DCC - Comfort mode is awesome

Virtual pedal - we are not friends right now.

HBA - works like a charm flipping the light to one side etc.

TSR - Just like intended.

Interior light - put it to pink and my little girls love it :)

Soundlevel - is barely ok, by far louder than my XC70 -15. 

Canton - Quite crisp sound but lacks all form of "thump" that the HP Volvo gives.

I really like the car and I think this will be a beautiful friendship :)

20171011_144952.jpg

• Like 4

22 hours ago, MartiniB said:

then full capacity is ~75 l

OK, then! I challenge you to run until nearly empty and fill it with 74 litres! :D 

(I am certainly not so brave!)

Last night with the needle in the red zone and claimed remaining range 25km I filled the tank and could put 69.1 litres in (Shell V-Power 100). Trip distance 1016 km. 

69.1 litres for 1016 km gives 69.1 / 10.16 = average 6.8 l/100km or 41.54 mpg (Imperial [UK] gallons) average over 631.3 miles. 

Current total distance 2838 km, 1,763 miles. 

I used https://www.calculateme.com/ for the conversions. 

Last night from petrol station to home (about 40km) on-board computer claims 6.1 l/100km (46.2 mpg)

Considering it's a 2.0 TSI with nominal 220PS I am very impressed with modern automobiles! 

Edited by SwissRob
Add drive home

13 hours ago, Baverhanne said:

Virtual pedal - we are not friends right now.

I have never managed to make it work but my wife can always. 

I don't know what the secret is. Small feet?! :sadsmile: Cute smile? :happy:

13 hours ago, Baverhanne said:

Soundlevel - is barely ok, by far louder than my XC70 -15. 

Canton - Quite crisp sound but lacks all form of "thump" that the HP Volvo gives.

Soundlevel - I'm surprised - I find mine very quiet.  I wonder is the difference because of 4x4?

Canton - I'm impressed with the bass. I find it very much depends on the music source. Eg. DAB+ is rather "thin" (but it could just be the stations I listen to). My equalizer is set to "Canton".  

Try listening to "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" (track 4) by Béla Fleck and the Flecktones on the CD of the same name (one of my favourite demo CDs).  

And make sure it is a lossless audio format (FLAC, WAV, WMA, ALAC, etc.) so you don't miss out on any audio goodness! :tongueout: 

I love my car too ;) congratulations on your choice! 

All the best, Rob

Edited by SwissRob
Ponder 4x4 noisier than 2WD?

34 minutes ago, RPC said:

the keyless locking

Hi RPC

I only use keyless locking, since my key is in a leather key case (to keep the key scratch-free and shiny) and it's fiddly to open.

At the driver's door I touch the dimple on the door handle - and the car is locked... 

My wife's Clio has a similar mechanism that we have been using for about 5 years, so it comes naturally. 

All the best, Rob

4 hours ago, RPC said:

The thing I can't seem to get the knack of is the keyless locking - seems be more  hassle then just pressing the button on the fob. 

I did the mistake to grip the handle as I was trying to lock it - didn't work. Now I've used my thumb to lock the car and it works 100%.

10 hours ago, SwissRob said:

I have never managed to make it work but my wife can always. 

I don't know what the secret is. Small feet?! :sadsmile: Cute smile? :happy:

Soundlevel - I'm surprised - I find mine very quiet.  I wonder is the difference because of 4x4?

Canton - I'm impressed with the bass. I find it very much depends on the music source. Eg. DAB+ is rather "thin" (but it could just be the stations I listen to). My equalizer is set to "Canton".  

Try listening to "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" (track 4) by Béla Fleck and the Flecktones on the CD of the same name (one of my favourite demo CDs).  

And make sure it is a lossless audio format (FLAC, WAV, WMA, ALAC, etc.) so you don't miss out on any audio goodness! :tongueout: 

I love my car too ;) congratulations on your choice! 

All the best, Rob

I guess a cute smile would do the trick :)

Soundlevel - my colleague who drives a -15 V70 also thought that the Superb was noisy. Might be down to the tyres. It was delivered with Hankook something and that could cause the noise. On the other hand I would not be able to tell if my XC70 was running on spikes or summer tyres - impossible to hear from inside. That car must be really really quiet - maybe thanks to laminated (acoustic) glass all around the cabin? 

The audio quality is superior to the XC70 in terms of detail and dynamics. But - it doesn't make you feel the bass in your body as the XC70 does.

I'll try that track first thing tomorrow :)

Driven the car 500km now and it's a pleasure do drive and to be in! It actually feels nimble compared to XC70. The XC70 is about 400kg heavier but it feels more like 1000kg heavier on the road.

5 hours ago, SwissRob said:

Hi RPC

I only use keyless locking, since my key is in a leather key case (to keep the key scratch-free and shiny) and it's fiddly to open.

At the driver's door I touch the dimple on the door handle - and the car is locked... 

My wife's Clio has a similar mechanism that we have been using for about 5 years, so it comes naturally. 

All the best, Rob

Thanks Rob. My wife has a Renault Captur so we have similar family cars!

2 hours ago, Baverhanne said:

Might be down to the tyres.

Maybe. But could it also be the road surface? Unfortunately I don't know Sweden very well but in Switzerland we have some stretches of road with a very rough surface. There it's quite loud.

But thankfully, the roads are mostly quite smooth. I have 19" low-profile tyres and was expecting more noise than I get. I listen most to classical music (especially in traffic jams!) on DAB+ and can mostly hear the quietest passages. Our small town has cobbled streets and there it's quite loud at 30 km/h (maximum allowed speed) but that doesn't disturb me. 

All the best, Rob

Picked up my Skoda Superb 2.0TDI L&K yesterday. Really like it so far! Although I was coming from a 2010 Ford Focus Zetec :P

What are the main differences between the Eco, Comfort, Sport and Normal driving modes?

uc?export=download&id=1oLrxv0XoUkYKiBqE2

On 12/10/2017 at 14:31, SwissRob said:

Hi RPC

I've been in the dark about this for months, another feature of the car I can use now, thanks Rob.  

I'm always a little nervous now I have started locking the car this way though.  I never feel fully convinced I've actually locked the car despite hearing that locking sound!  I think it's because being at the door, I don't see the hazards flashing as well which I did when locking remotely using the fob.  

Hmm I think the simple solution is to look at the dash as I lock it- just occurred to me when writing this!  

Move along... nothing to see here! :blush

5 minutes ago, Sif said:

I've been in the dark about this for months, another feature of the car I can use now, thanks Rob.  

I'm always a little nervous now I have started locking the car this way though.  I never feel fully convinced I've actually locked the car despite hearing that locking sound!  I think it's because being at the door, I don't see the hazards flashing as well which I did when locking remotely using the fob.  

Hmm I think the simple solution is to look at the dash as I lock it- just occurred to me when writing this!  

If you've got folding mirrors that's a good teller if you managed to lock the car. 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2017 at 09:46, Baverhanne said:

it lacks the punch my XC70 has

Wow! The XC70 must be amazing, then! I'm very happy with the Superb's Canton setup. 

All the best, Rob

8 minutes ago, Baverhanne said:

If you've got folding mirrors that's a good teller if you managed to lock the car. 

Same on my non-kessy.  I like it from that perspective.  Although I do worry that the one time I forget to lock it somewhere, it may as well have a massive flashing sign on the roof saying "UNLOCKED CAR FULL OF GOODIES"

2 minutes ago, SwissRob said:

Wow! The XC70 must be amazing, then! I'm very happy with the Superb's Canton setup. 

All the best, Rob

Wouldn't call it amazing as the quality of the sound isn't as good as the Canton.

It's like comparing Harman kardon low end home speakers (Volvo) to maybe KEF (Superb) low/middle range speakers - two different approaches to good enough sound with two completely different soundsignatures.

1 hour ago, neonplanet40 said:

main differences between the Eco, Comfort, Sport and Normal driving modes

I think many would be interested in an authoritative answer to this question! 

As far as I know, eco changes gear at lower revs. When you come off the gas pedal, it disengages the active clutch and allows you to freewheel, while the engine runs at idle (to keep brake servo etc. powered). Subjectively, I feel DCC behaves like "comfort" - very "floaty". 

Sport changes gear at higher revs. If you have DCC it has quicker steering and firmer damping. (Less "floaty"). 

Comfort I can only notice with the "floaty" DCC?

Are there any firm data for all parameters out there? 

All the best, Rob

17 minutes ago, Baverhanne said:

Mine has folding mirrors and a flashing led on the inside of the driver's door that show it's locked.

3 minutes ago, Baverhanne said:

Wouldn't call it amazing as the quality of the sound isn't as good as the Canton.

It's like comparing Harman kardon low end home speakers (Volvo) to maybe KEF (Superb) low/middle range speakers - two different approaches to good enough sound with two completely different soundsignatures.

That's an interesting and discerning answer, Baverhamme! 

Funny you should mention KEF - my home system is Primare CD32 / Exposure VIII , XI , XII / KEF Reference 4.2 + Townshend Supertweeters

Now I understand the difference you mean. More 'slam' but not necessarily higher fidelity or accuracy. 

All the best,

Rob

1 hour ago, Sif said:

you can set it so that the wing mirrors fold in as it locks. and you can try the rear doors to make sure it's locked 

Turn the ACC off (push the ACC lever all the way forward) and the car will display the total mileage of the car.

It will not show it with the ACC turned on.