Anyone tried Michelin Cross Climate tyres?

If you want the best possible tyres you shouldn't get all season tyres. There will be compromises meaning that they will not be the best choice in any season.

I don't know how common winter tyres are in the UK (or how often you have ice/snow on the roads), but here in Sweden almost everyone changes tyres between summer and winter.

If you want the best possible tyres you shouldn't get all season tyres. There will be compromises meaning that they will not be the best choice in any season.

I don't know how common winter tyres are in the UK (or how often you have ice/snow on the roads), but here in Sweden almost everyone changes tyres between summer and winter.

Yes - but no

I started this topic - but because my summer tyres were in such good condition (6mm+) I decided to buy a used set of Spectrum alloys and fit them with Continental winter TS850 tyres. . In the UK we haven't had much snow but in colder weather and some of the horrendous wet weather we've had they have been great - especially in motorways that look like rivers. The TS850 tyres are also really quiet!

My problem is now picking the date you change!

Looking at reviews the Crossclimates seem to be great in the summer (they are based on a summer tyre - so no surprises here)  but are pretty good  in the winter (much better than my summer tyre)  however the TS850s are better in the winter but also good in the dry. Soooo - I'm wondering about Crossclimates (eventually) in the summer and the TS850s in the winter

I now have a year (or two ) to decide now as I'll be wearing the summer tyres much less  ( stored half the time!)

Edited by bigjohn

Hi bigjohn (&josj – och hur star det till dig, min lille ven).

Whilst I fully appreciate your helpful comments, I simply cannot be bothered with acquiring (& even more so, the subsequent storing of) a full set of second tyres.  Having pure winter-dedicated tyres is not (unlike Scandinavia) the general practice in UK - we rarely have severe enough winters, and if we do have a downfall of the white stuff, it rarely lasts for very long – well apart from in the more remote areas.       Our usual weather is rain, rain, & yet more rain - but seldom (& then only briefly) do we have deep snow or icy roads.   Therefore, "Summer" tyres which give very good roadholding in the wet, but are also slightly better than the normal offerings in winter conditions, seems to me to be the very best compromise.

This  line of thinking is probably a relic from my early driving experience , which started in the days of when all that was available, were Cross Ply tyres (Jeez, am I really that old?) & we simply had to adjust (aka doing the best that we could) with whatever  weather we experienced, with what we had on our cars: mainly that just meant sliding around, or not even managing to go anywhere to slide around!        Even today’s “budget” tyres are much better propositions that what we had then access to.      I will never forget visiting friends in Norway (in the early 1970’s, I think) & seeing a full set of winter tyres (bulbous, treadless things, from memory)  stored in their garage – that sort of thing was unknown to the average Brit.   Mind you, my friends’ wife also very proudly displayed the four sets of clothing she had stored – one for each different season of the year, which again was revolutionary to the likes of me - the quintessential "Brits" settled for a Pakamak for 51 weeks of the year, & added a scarf for the 52nd (snowy) week.        

But Tempora mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis (as they say in Barnsley).

So, it’s Michy CrossClimates for me, & I’ll do whatever I have to, to have them fitted to my little jam-jar.  If it subsequently turns out that I feel that I've made the wrong decision, then I'll bin them & get something else.

I should have also said: if there are any Citigo owners (those with the larger tyres) out there who are feeling that they'd like to fit the CrossClimates, I checked with Mr Michelin Direct this afty, & tyres in "our" size were put on general distribution in January of this year.

There's a slight (but only a slight) disparity between the bog-standard tyres fitted by Skoda & the CrossClimates: Michelin are offering 175 x 65 x 14 tyres, but with a higher Loading of 86 (no problems there) a Speed Rating of "H" (again no problem) & they're rated as "XL".

So, if one can only put their hands on them, they'll do the job admirably - the hardest part seems to be actually putting one's hands on them.

If it subsequently turns out that I feel that I've made the wrong decision, then I'll bin them & get something else.

Likewise - but the other way round!

I have a commute that can be rather unpleasant in the winter and after a few dodgy journeys a couple of years ago I promised myself a set of winter wheels/tyres  when I next changed cars (which I did last June). The Crossclimate was introduced just after I bought it but after a strong recommendation I decided to give a set of Continental TS850's a go - In the future if I feel that something like the Cross Climates are the way to go then I can always sell my second set of Spectrum alloys.

On my previous Superb I I did try a set of Quatrac 5 all season tyres which were pretty good except in wet conditions and the car somehow felt different

Fortunately for now I have somewhere to store a set of winter wheels/tyres

Edited by bigjohn

Lots of us use winter tyres but we're in a tiny minority. Most people drive all year on summer tyres. Several people I know have changed their car rather than tyres due to poor performance in snow. Some people believe you need a 4x4. I even heard someone in the motor trade on the radio saying 4x4 was the answer not winter tyres.

So all seasons are a vast improvement on what 99% of drivers currently use.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Edited by domhnall

To both Bigjohn & domhnall & Hi guys.

One of the things that I like best about Briskoda, is that you get the benefit of personal experience from all sorts of nice & knowledgeable people, who genuinely try to assist & advise you – whatever the topic.

For domhnall (from West Lothian, where it has indeed been known to be “wild & wintry” at times)

I don’t (having myself, had a couple in my younger days) personally subscribe to the notion that a 4x4 is the universal panacea for wintry conditions in UK.   Sure, you feel safer, but that’s only because you’re sitting nice & high up: in many cases, you also have the benefit of 4 wheel drive, but mainly they’re “safer”, because you tend to drive much more sedately & in keeping with the limitations of the car.           But (& it is a beeeeeeeg “but”) you still have to drive within the precise restrictions -  eg. When I had a new 1965 Mini  which cost me all of £545. 17s. 6d (Lawdy-Lawdy, those were the days) I could (& did) scoot round corners like I was driving a Go Kart.   When I had a lot more money & a bit more sense (or more probably the other way around?) & had a Lexus RX, even with its’ 4 wheel drive, I couldn’t teararse around corners, as the centre of gravity was way up high – so I adapted, through necessity, my driving to the restrictions of the vehicle.

With the weather conditions that we tend to get in England – ie. mostly rain, with perhaps just one week of snow & icy conditions, but then back to rain again, apart from our one week’s guaranteed “dry & sunny” (but not necessarily on consecutive days) we’d be using Summer/All Season tyres for around 51 weeks of the year, & the Winter tyres for just one week.   CrossClimates are (so I have read) rated as being compliant in the Countries who, as a matter of law, stipulate fitting Winter tyres, in the appropriate season.      But primarily, CrossClimates are designed to give exceptional performance in the “Wet” – which is what I want.    If I wasn’t able to fit CrossClimates, then I’d have to do what so many millions of us now do – simply drive through the Winter on our summer tyres, but exercise much more care & caution in the process.

And the bottom line is, if Mr Michelin (or to be perhaps more correct, Msieu Michelin) has seen fit to spend Millions on producing these tyres, then presumably he did his market research first, and calculated that there was a big chunk of market demand, & he’d make a damn good profit – well, he will from me!

• Like 1

Lots of us use winter tyres but we're in a tiny minority. Most people drive all year on summer tyres. Several people I know have changed their car rather than tyres due to poor performance in snow. Some people believe you need a 4x4. I even heard someone in the motor trade on the radio saying 4x4 was the answer not winter tyres.

So all seasons are a vast improvement on what 99% of drivers currently use.

I understand, and agree it's better in that case.

In Sweden there are lots of garages that shift between tyres and also store your tyres off season, but I suspect you don't have a lot of that if there's no demand.

Of course all real men shift their tyres themselves :)

4x4 is just a false security. It will help you not getting stuck, but it won't help with stopping, which is more important in my opinion.

Edited by josj

I understand, and agree it's better in that case.

In Sweden there are lots of garages that shift between tyres and also store your tyres off season, but I suspect you don't have a lot of that if there's no demand.

Of course all real men shift their tyres themselves :)

4x4 is just a false security. It will help you not getting stuck, but it won't help with stopping, which is more important in my opinion.

We get that here too but it depends where you are. I suspect it happens more here in Scotland than it does down south (England).

I have cross climates on my car but I still change my wife's tyres each autumn and spring.

Of course all real men shift their tyres themselves :) (josj)

You've got to feel really sorry for Swedish men, in Britain "real men" get their wives to change their own tyres.

but I still change my wife's tyres each autumn and spring (domnhall)

OMG domnhall, I hope that was a typing error, and that you really do have the courage of my convictions?  Think of all the Brits out there, who are trying to set a standard.

Many would prefer the Tyres / wheels changed by a female, 

they can multi task, and read Owners Manuals, so likely they will reset the TPMS after the change and having set and re-set pressures after a road test. 

changed the Filter & Oil, Air & Pollen, Plugs etc.

More than many a Factory Trained Male Technicians bothers to do.

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 1

I'm baffled.

I change the tyres on my wife's car. On mine I now have cross climates and they've been great on snow and ice.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

"they can multi task, and read Owners Manuals"

To me, the above is something that you do, only when "winging it" has failed???

Mind you, with anything, I tend to wing it, & SWMBO first reads the appropriate instruction book.    She's invariably correct & it makes for an easier life, but it does make life awfully boring.

• Like 2

What is the durability of the Cross Climates like?

I remember last time I had Pilot Sport 3's on the car - great tyres but wore really quickly.  I went through the fronts in less than 10K I recall.

I'm "lucky" that I do 30K / year and have a garage, so at the moment it is Conti TS830's on 16" steelies for winter, and Eagle Asym2 on 17" alloys for summer.

What is the durability of the Cross Climates like?

I remember last time I had Pilot Sport 3's on the car - great tyres but wore really quickly.  I went through the fronts in less than 10K I recall.

I'm "lucky" that I do 30K / year and have a garage, so at the moment it is Conti TS830's on 16" steelies for winter, and Eagle Asym2 on 17" alloys for summer.

I'd be interested to know how the Cross Climates wear as well  

Still on my Conti TS850 winters at the moment 

Edited by bigjohn

I've done 10k on mines so far and wearing brilliant, still bags of tread on them. I'll report back with exact tread depth this week as I'm gonna rotate them front to back

G

• Like 1

Well, it sounds as though the story is coming to an end – albeit, hopefully a happy one!

No luck whatsoever in trying to get Michelin CrossClimates in size 175 x65 x R14 – Michelin’s swear that they do do ‘em, but all the Tyre Factors that I’ve tried (actually, more than a few) are equally adamant that they can’t get their greasy little hands on them?   Also finally, albeit regretfully, dropped the notion of fitting Nokian Weatherproofs, as their dry handling isn’t stated to be as good as other brands - & we do get the occasional “dry” day in the U of K.   Also, they seem to be extremely reasonably priced, & in my view, if you pay about ½ of what another, & competing, tyre costs, you’re only going to get perhaps ½ of the necessary requirements – my personal assessment only.

So, I had to drop my sights (or in reality, did I???) & come Thursday, I shall have a set of Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Generation 2, FO’s fitted, instead of the Conti Premium E2’s which are currently not the state-of-the-art black roundy things on my car.    According to my friendly (I hope he’s friendly, & not just out for a quick fistful of ackers) Tyre Fitter, Goodyear have now introduced the Generation 3 in their Vector 4Seasons, but again, (according to aforesaid FTF) the “FO” was the precursor to the Gen 3, & is the Gen 3 in all but name.  

Also according to FTF, Goodyear have again raised their game with the Gen 3, & rolling resistance/fuel economy has been raised to “C”, & both wet & dry handling raised to “B”.      

So, we shall see what we shall see, & come Thurs, whilst I hope to be lighter in heart, I know that I’ll definitely be lighter in pocket.

Edited by Michaelski

Hi WaveyDavey,

You're dead right, there ain't not nuffin on any website (including Goodyear's own) about them bringing out the Generation 3, but I've been assured (TWICE, I've been assured) that it's shyly hiding in the Wings.   I challenged my FTF on this point, but he was adamant that it was "there on his computer" & when further challenged, even immediately trotted out the EU ratings for it.

So, I'll have to take his word, but when I tootle in there to have the new tyres fitted on Thurs, & BEFORE I hand over coins of the realm, I'll demand concrete proof of the above.

No verification, then no shekels will be changing hands - I'm not quite as green as I'm cabbage-looking.

I can always go back to the Nokian Weatherproofs!!!

• Like 1

Michaelski
What price are you paying  for them ?? :nerd:

Goodyear Vector 4 Season Generation 2 - 175/65 R14 82T (FO)
http://www.camskill.co.uk/m137b0s7975p124164/Goodyear_Tyres_All_Season_Car_Goodyear_Vector_4_Season_Generation_2_-_175_65_R14_82T_%28FO%29_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_B_NoiseClass%3A_1_Noise%3A_68dB

Only Gen2 FO available from Camskill

Edited by DEL80Y

To DEL80Y (& Hi)

£78 per corner (for everything) is what I've been quoted.    I'm sure that I could have picked them up slightly cheaper Online (& had them delivered to the Tyre Place) but in all honesty, & for the sake of a few quid, I couldn't be arse`d.   I've checked quite a few tyre sites online, & this kind of dosh isn't too out of the ordinary, so I'm happy that I'm not being stiffed - AS LONG AS I get the much-better tyres.     Camskill are certainly much, much cheaper, but to their price, I'd have to add the fitting costs: old tyre disposal, & probably VAT as well, so at the end of it all, there probably wouldn't be too much in it???

I'm still not TOTALLY, 100% convinced that I'll be getting shod with Generation 3's, but, & according to my FTF, (& I WILL be giving him a lap of honour of the 3rd Degree, when I go) they're branded "FO's" & again according to him, they're the Generation 3 - just waiting to be officially re-named from "FO's" to Gen 3's.

I'll double-check (& demand proof) his statement that the EU ratings are indeed "B" (Economy), "B" (wet grip), & 68 decibels, before I part with my coins, but if he has been telling ickle "porkies", then he'll be left with 4 unwanted tyres on his hands, & I'll go somewhere else - probably buy Nokian Weatherproofs Online, & have them fitted.

Watch this space....................

Edited by Michaelski

I've done a little more research about the "FO" markings on these 4Seasons, & it would appear to me (although I readily stand to be corrected)  that FO merely means that the tyres were produced, and accepted, as original tyres for Ford???   I'll ask the appropriate questions on Thursday & try to get the definitive answer.

I've done a little more research about the "FO" markings on these 4Seasons, & it would appear to me (although I readily stand to be corrected)  that FO merely means that the tyres were produced, and accepted, as original tyres for Ford???   I'll ask the appropriate questions on Thursday & try to get the definitive answer.

Nope

Am sure Ford dont have Spec approval .

At least the last time I was selling tyres 

Merc Bmw Porsche Aston Martin Audi and Jag  do...

4 of the FO Goodyears (Fuel Eff.: C Wet Grip: B NoiseClass: 1 Noise: 68dB) as above delivered to you are £199.96 

I can get 4 tyres fitted balanced and disposal for a tenner a tyre locally so thats £239.96 fitted against your £312 

£72.04 That would buy you

...Another tyre 

...Full tank of fuel 

...Or beer..

By the way did you notice I was from Glasgow....

Just trying to show to show you there is other things to spend your money on :coffee: