The Briskoda drive recorder video footage thread part 2

TeflonTom

I tell you what... that's one thing I don't miss about the UK... Multiple lanes on roundabouts!

They're fine if people know how to drive round them properly... but they don't. People can never seem to keep in their lane. And they can be really confusing sometimes with multiple lanes for different motorways etc.

21 hours ago, KenONeill said:

Can I suggest that the flash was an acknowledgment that he'd made a mistake?

I know that, but I don't think it excuses the bad driving.

21 hours ago, Offski said:

Looked like he was indicating to move left, trying to keep up speed on the motorway and some driver was more interested in getting passed a white van than using mirrors and letting the car off the motorway....

:wondering:

That part of the A14 is 3 lanes for miles before the A11 junction. There is clear signage at 1 mile, 1/2 mile and at the junction showing that the LH lane is for the A11 and the two lanes to the right are for the A14. Traffic wasn't particularly heavy so the Fiesta driver had plenty of time and space to get into the correct lane. Even if they didn't know the road or didn't know where they were going they should have (and easily could have) either slowed and pulled in behind me or continued on the A14 rather than making a risky manoeuvre.

Edited by petrolbloke

4 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

@petrolbloke - I'm not suggesting that a flash excuses "deliberate bad driving", but that it suggests the driver's frame of mind is "I made a mistake. Sorry".

I know what the hazard flash suggests (it's common knowledge isn't it?), I just wasn't sure why you would point it out unless you thought it excused the bad driving.

10 hours ago, petrolbloke said:

Thankfully I'm not writing this post from a hospital bed.

Well, IMO you were "in the right", but I think I'd have been on full beam from video 0:00 until I saw the truck, which might make you more visible to oncoming traffic.

3 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Well, IMO you were "in the right"

I'm not sure there can be much difference of opinion on this one.

I think I'd have been on full beam from video 0:00 until I saw the truck

I suppose you drive to IAM/ROSPA examiner standards 100% of the time do you?

full beam might make you more visible to oncoming traffic.

I think my dipped beams would've been visible to the other driver before they could actually see me. No way of knowing whether or not using full beam would've made any difference to their decision to overtake, in this scenario I think it's a moot point.

1 hour ago, petrolbloke said:

I suppose you drive to IAM/ROSPA examiner standards 100% of the time do you?

No, but I'm flattered that you would even say so sarcastically. I do use my full beams lots though, largely because it means that I can see further.

have to be honest and say i personally cover about 200 miles a day on average and most of what i have seen on these vids is just folks getting a bit precious about standards, we all have times when we rush or need to get a move on and some ditherer is in the way, speedy drivers are not always the most dangerous, often you will see someone plodding along at rush hour doing 25mph with a mile long que behind them of folks who frankly need to get to work and perhaps should have set off sooner but that's another topic, however the slower driver causes all this frustration behind them and inevitably one or more of those cars will once they have cleared the driver make a poor judgement either through frustration or being late.

The overtake at night-time was dangerous, the fiesta nah  that's modern driving live with it, as for all the cut up on the roundabout stuff perhaps a glance at the newer highway code will help these days there are no specific lanes for turning right etc as there were many years ago, in fact if you pull out onto a clear road and indicate you will be marked down on your driving test.

Ever notice motorway patrol cars usually do about 85-90mph that's to make sure they don't cause a bottle neck behind them, if in doubt use your common

^^^ Police Scotland 'Officers' often do about 65 mph in the inside lane as they want to see who and what passes and get the ANPR working and then some plonker holds behind in the outside lane and the traffic just builds up behind.

Then they sit in gridlock traffic with a foot on the brake pedal or the prestige motors they drive have 'autohold' that keeps the rear brake lights on.

(Professional drivers, or training is sadly lacking, or misunderstood by the general public.

14 hours ago, petrolbloke said:

One from this evening:

Thankfully I'm not writing this post from a hospital bed.

Clearly the driver overtaking the lorry was at fault, though personally I would have been positioned as far to the right as possible while still staying on my side of the road to get the early view and also be seen earlier by the oncoming traffic

• Like 1

On 06/09/2018 at 13:48, littleade said:

though personally I would have been positioned as far to the right as possible while still staying on my side of the road to get the early view and also be seen earlier by the oncoming traffic

I very much doubt that would've made any difference in this instance. They might have seen me fractionally earlier but still would've been part way through their manoeuvre. Sometimes those small fractions can make a difference but quite unlikely in this instance I think.

Some more from me: -

A man gets out of the car in front but instead of moving out of the way of our moving car, decides just to walk down the middle of the road!

Trying to park up outside a house, a chav on a bike decides to do a slow wheelie in front of our car forcing us to wait. I know technically we have to give way as technically he's a road user but he was being a little sod, and he knew it.

Driving up to a roundabout in Nottingham, with 2 lanes clearly marked as straight on, the woman in the silver car to my right suddenly slams her brakes on and beeps at me, despite there being space for her to keep going, bizarre!

Driving out of Escomb village in County Durham, suddenly some sheep fly out into the road, had to swerve to avoid them! Apparently 20 or so more followed behind these 3, but no rear dashcam to provide footage of them!

Edited by dan4291

• 2 weeks later...

This happened whilst getting petrol today. It's a 1 car forecourt, which you can see on the way back out of the kiosk. I have removed the audio because when he got out I asked why he couldn't have waited and asked him to move back so I could get the bike on the side stand, he point blank refused and said there's a pump opposite so he was using it, at which point he received some choice words from me. The lady in the kiosk even said "has he just squeezed in" as I was paying. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I should have spotted his indicator but this seemed like a stupid place to just do a u-turn in the middle of a main road (60 km/h limit here).

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Phil-E said:

Maybe I should have spotted his indicator but this seemed like a stupid place to just do a u-turn

Well yes to both points; I'd have expected him to stop rather than just start pulling back across the carriageway.