The Briskoda drive recorder video footage thread part 2

TeflonTom

this junction?  No.no not this one....oh **** yes....

even had the nerve to flash either me or the car that was in front, funnily enough just blank stares from passenger and driver when he pulled up alongside after being a round of f***s from me  :D

44tonnes from standstill on hard shoulder, long blind'ish bend, it's OK though he indicated.....

common sense to roll along hard shoulder, build up speed and merge?

A556 - Maybe it's just me, but I don't think anyone comes out of that well.

Truck hard shoulder - I've seen a traffic car pull away from rest on the hard shoulder, and the method used was to accelerate hard up to running lane speed, then merge.

1 hour ago, KenONeill said:

A556 - Maybe it's just me, but I don't think anyone comes out of that well.

so it's acceptable to be in the exit lane to start with, pull out to the 2nd lane and then suddenly decide as the Silver estate is alongside indicate to pull back in?

traffic in front is slowing, traffic behind me and you want me to suddenly brake and let Knob in?

as i'm in a Company van i'm 'supposed' to give a good impression but make allowances for him, don't think so, he made the decision to move out into a 'live' lane.

so easy for the people out there to moan at my bosses and try and make out it's my fault.

On 27/12/2018 at 17:04, petrolbloke said:

Some not quite textbook driving from a police car yesterday.

think there was room there tbh and you dont actually have to indicate when pulling back in

1 hour ago, cssuk said:

think there was room there tbh and you dont actually have to indicate when pulling back in

Wide angle lens makes it appear further away. It was definitely less than the recommended two second gap.

Highway code #103 says you should always signal before changing course or direction, something I would expect a police/advanced driver to do.

Edited by petrolbloke
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, petrolbloke said:

Wide angle lens makes it appear further away. It was definitely less than the recommended two second gap.

Highway code #103 says you should always signal before changing course or direction, definitely something you'd expect a police/advanced driver to do.

not on dual carriageways or mways as it is also part of the highway code that you keep to the left, the assumption then being once you have completed your overtake you will come back across to the lane you should be in, the rules around indicating etc have changed a little since i presume many on here took there test as an example if your pulling out into the road if nothing is coming you dont indicate my daughter was told she would possibly fail if she indicated for no reason ie nothing coming up behind

10 minutes ago, petrolbloke said:

Highway code #103 says you should always signal before changing course or direction, definitely something you'd expect a police/advanced driver to do.

I'd say he definitely pulled in too soon-it's one of my pet hates too as you then have to reduce speed to get the correct gap. One of the techniques used by advanced drivers to establish when it's safe to return to the lane you were in prior to the overtake is not to pull back in until you can see the car you've just overtakens headlights in your rear view mirror. Obviously this depends on the vehicles and road conditions involved but helps you establish what this should be.

Advanced drivers don't give a signal unless it's going to be of benefit/doesn't confuse other road users and in general on duel carriageways and motorways unless there's a specific need because of the situation I was taught not to do it when returning to the lane you were in as you're supposed to return to your lave after overtaking anyway unless you're  completing a multiple vehicle overtake so the driver being overtaken should expect you to do this anyway. Obviously when done correctly you pass the other vehicle at a higher speed so as you return to their lane after making sure it's safe to do so you start to gap them anyway, so a signal would not benefit anyone

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, cssuk said:

A556 sorry you were in the wrong in my opinion, in fact you speeded up to catch the car in front, you could easily have left a space for them, perhaps they were lost.

Didn't look like speeding up, more like purposely later on the brakes to block the BMW from moving across. Either way it escalated the situation and comes across as "road captain" behaviour. BMW should've just been more decisive and got into a suitable gap before DCV (dash cam van) had the opportunity to close it.

So at best I reckon 50/50, at worst 75/25 to the van driver.

I take it you all registered the fact the BMW was in the exit lane in front of the silver estate ?

speeded up? as far as i'm concerned the gap was fairly constant and the silver car accelerated slightly when the BMW moved

lost?  2 in the car, Manchester plates so a fair bet he's familiar with the area, 

He was indicating, it was clear that he had made a mistake and the situation was already becoming dangerous with the traffic on the slip lane backing up and slowing down which meant he either had to indicate brake and take the gap that was there or carry on and miss the junction, there was no traffic that  immediately followed him so I would say that it was probably safe for him to do what he tried to do but for the person with the dashcam shutting the door on him.

When you saw the 2 artics that came through at speed shortly after you realise the potential there was for a very serious accident, if they were closer to the door shutting incident it would have been a multiple pile up possibly fatal.

In that instance the dash cam footage would have served an altogether different purpose.

8 minutes ago, J.R. said:

He was indicating, it was clear that he had made a mistake and the situation was already becoming dangerous with the traffic on the slip lane backing up and slowing down which meant he either had to indicate brake and take the gap that was there or carry on and miss the junction,

If that were me (and probably every other sensible driver in the country) I'd appreciate that I'd made a **** up and I'd carry on to the next junction. Indicating and bullying your way out of a bad situation escalates very quickly to the point no one's gonna win. Just because your indicating doesn't mean you're allowed to do what you want, y'know.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, olduns said:

I take it you all registered the fact the BMW was in the exit lane in front of the silver estate ?

speeded up? as far as i'm concerned the gap was fairly constant and the silver car accelerated slightly when the BMW moved

lost?  2 in the car, Manchester plates so a fair bet he's familiar with the area, 

dashcam shows you sped up

I guess that I am not a sensible driver then.

Interesting choice of words "bullying your way.............."

If there are any sensible drivers on the forum perhaps they could look at the video and say which driver if any to them merits the title "bully"

I thjnk that everybody concerned was very very lucky that there was not a fatal accident that day.

Edited by J.R.

8 hours ago, olduns said:

so it's acceptable to be in the exit lane to start with, pull out to the 2nd lane and then suddenly decide as the Silver estate is alongside indicate to pull back in?

traffic in front is slowing, traffic behind me and you want me to suddenly brake and let Knob in?

as i'm in a Company van i'm 'supposed' to give a good impression but make allowances for him, don't think so, he made the decision to move out into a 'live' lane.

so easy for the people out there to moan at my bosses and try and make out it's my fault.

Two wrongs don't make a right. A careful driver would rather contribute to not causing an accident.....

3 hours ago, cssuk said:

A556 sorry you were in the wrong in my opinion, in fact you speeded up to catch the car in front, you could easily have left a space for them, perhaps they were lost.

I can't see that he sped up but he definitely wasn't fully pro-actively aware of the situation as if he was, he should have left room for Mr BMW to re-enter the lane safely.

2 hours ago, olduns said:

2 in the car, Manchester plates so a fair bet he's familiar with the area, 

Not too sure that would've been clocked at the time though and even if it was, 'assumption is the mother of all **** ups'. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

25 minutes ago, J.R. said:

If there are any sensible drivers on the forum perhaps they could look at the video and say which driver if any to them merits the title "bully"

I think that everybody concerned was very very lucky that there was not a fatal accident that day.

IMHO olduns should have done more to ease Mr BMW's error.

51 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I guess that I am not a sensible driver then.

Interesting choice of words "bullying your way.............."

I thjnk that everybody concerned was very very lucky that there was not a fatal accident that day.

Like I said, if I'm in the wrong lane I stick there unless it's safe to move into the lane I need. If it's not safe then I don't indicate and rely on someone else to put themselves in an awkward situation to help me out. In the scenario in the vid the safest option for everyone is the car in the wrong lane stays there and sorts his own **** out at the next junction. Everyone else then looks after themselves in the correct lane and one person has a few minutes added to their days commute.

Is that not sensible?

well not really the responsible thing would have been to allow him across and not risk an accident, nobody has a deliberate accident its just a combination of errors, so the beemer guy made an error, and that means you have to slow and add 20 seconds to your journey am sure we have all done the same with lanes in the past at some stage, its an error not the end of the world bit of room wouldnt have hurt would it.

• Like 1

just the usual traffic all fighting for the lane as per usual, why give up at 3-400 yards when obviously you know people will give way at < 100yards.....

if anyone sees this design on a VW caddy, stick it in your memory bank and keep well away, i'm an accident waiting to happen, well just pig-headed maybe 

96yuwtk.jpg

Edited by olduns
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, olduns said:

just the usual traffic all fighting for the lane as per usual, why give up at 3-400 yards when obviously you know people will give way at < 100yards.....

if anyone sees this design on a VW caddy, stick it in your memory bank and keep well away, i'm an accident waiting to happen, well just pig-headed maybe 

96yuwtk.jpg

Quite possibly...… If you look at your video of the A556 before the 300yd marker the beemer was actually in the same lane as you (lane1) in front of the white estate car, The driver obviously didn't know where they were going as he/she signalled right then changed lanes, back into lane 2 thinking they didn't want that exit. Realising their mistake they then signalled left and tried to get back into lane 1 after waiting for the estate car to undertake them into the gap between you and the estate car that was there to start with but you didn't want to let them back in and closed that gap. if there was any lastminute.com drivers with local knowledge it was the large white van in front.  Had you been paying attention then maybe your reaction to the beemer driver would have been more sympathetic....or maybe not.

Dashcam footage of a drive through the heart of the English Lake District from the town of Ambleside to the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway station at Dalegarth in Eskdale, Cumbria via Langdale, Wrynose Pass and Hardknott Pass. The journey typically takes 45-50 minutes in normal traffic conditions with no delays. This journey should not be attempted in winter conditions even with an off-road vehicle and is not advisable in any adverse weather conditions. For those that brave the narrow, single-track roads, 1 in 3 slopes, severe hairpin bends and pot-holed road surfaces, the rewards are great. This is some of the most beautiful scenery in the British Isles. The Ravenglass and Eskdale railway itself is a gem of a narrow gauge railway running about 7.5 miles from Dalegarth to the coastal village of Ravenglass; a peaceful and historic place with the remains of a Roman settlement. The video was recorded on my car's high definition (HD) dash cam (a Mobius ActionCam) with wide angle lens and is composed of seventeen segments which are speeded up either 4x or 8x.

3 hours ago, --Doug-- said:

The video was recorded on my car's high definition (HD) dash cam (a Mobius ActionCam) with wide angle lens and is composed of seventeen segments which are speeded up either 4x or 8x.

I can understand why the video was sped up but it didn’t half make me feel queasy watching it! :sick:

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, john999boy said:

I can understand why the video was sped up but it didn’t half make me feel queasy watching it! :sick:

Well, I fully agree with your strapline that "white cars go faster". Mine can do 180 mph over narrow, steep mountain passes. :biggrin: