Question for those who have lowered their car

Wakey

I notice a fair number have either fitted the factory lowering springs or coilovers. Have you guys had your suspension geometry checked? What is adjustable? Is camber adjustable?

If so what effect did lowering have on your geo?

If not checked are you getting inside tyre scrub?

Thanks

Can I add a word of caution to what has already been submitted.

1 - Posters are absolutely right -  It is essential to get the track checked after lowering - BUT....

2 - IT IS ALSO ESSENTIAL to get it done again after about 4 weeks when the new system has fully settled .

You would be amazed how much can alter whilst a settlement period takes place.

I had mine checked when fitting lowering springs,  the car had 800 miles on it. Things were out from the factory not due to the springs and some bolts were looser than i'd like !

min was done when fitting the springs

Did this affect your insurance premium at all by lowering the springs? Our roads are improving all the time now, quite a few of the really bad ones have been resurfaced and the rest are due to be done over the next 5 years, so it might be more bearable!!:-)

Did this affect your insurance premium at all by lowering the springs? Our roads are improving all the time now, quite a few of the really bad ones have been resurfaced and the rest are due to be done over the next 5 years, so it might be more bearable!!:-)

no, they are not interested in "dealer fit options" ... (my eibachs were on my "new car order" and done (and tracked)  before I picked the car up) my insurance is quite good, the only extra's I have to pay for are the anti roll bars! they class the rest as replacement parts or dealer fit options, which are no increase.

• Like 1

no, they are not interested in "dealer fit options" ... (my eibachs were on my "new car order" and done (and tracked)  before I picked the car up) my insurance is quite good, the only extra's I have to pay for are the anti roll bars! they class the rest as replacement parts or dealer fit options, which are no increase.

That's good, I might speak to mine at renewal time and see what they say if I were to get them done next summer, thanks for the info :-)

• Like 1

I notice a fair number have either fitted the factory lowering springs or coilovers. Have you guys had your suspension geometry checked? What is adjustable? Is camber adjustable?

If so what effect did lowering have on your geo?

If not checked are you getting inside tyre scrub?

Thanks

The suspension geo is pretty much fixed. The tracking is adjustable but I can't see any way of adjusting camber when just fitting lowering springs, we had a good fiddle (lol) when fitting the H+Rs to our vRS estate.

My insurance went up by £8 over the year by fitting aftermarket alloys and H+R springs. That was with admiral who have always been pretty mod friendly to be fair. :-)

• Like 2

My insurance went up by £8 over the year by fitting aftermarket alloys and H+R springs. That was with admiral who have always been pretty mod friendly to be fair. :-)

That's not too terrible is it! Will be interesting to see what mine says as I use it for driving instruction, they might think it's giving out the wrong signals to learners!!

• Like 1

That's not too terrible is it! Will be interesting to see what mine says as I use it for driving instruction, they might think it's giving out the wrong signals to learners!!

I have struggled sometimes (as my insurance includes learners) but have a great policy with through lloyds latchford at the moment, that includes the anti roll bars, when i first put the RARB on I had to switch insurers, and then they added 30% :o but it has come down this year, as I have taken off "off road for under 17's without a license" as I never used it :)

• Like 1

I have struggled sometimes (as my insurance includes learners) but have a great policy with through lloyds latchford at the moment, that includes the anti roll bars, when i first put the RARB on I had to switch insurers, and then they added 30% :o but it has come down this year, as I have taken off "off road for under 17's without a license" as I never used it :)

Don't blame you Dave, letting an under-17 without a license drive your car off road is the stuff of nightmares lol!

• Like 1

no, they are not interested in "dealer fit options" ... (my eibachs were on my "new car order" and done (and tracked) before I picked the car up) my insurance is quite good, the only extra's I have to pay for are the anti roll bars! they class the rest as replacement parts or dealer fit options, which are no increase.

Correct,insurers aren't always interested if they've been factory fitted - which would be eibachs

Fitting h+r aftermarket may depend on insurer

I once looked at fitting the exact same eibach kit to a 2 year old car and my insurer was quite adamant - you fit that and we cannot insure you

So I would just check first

• Like 2

Camber can only be matched side to side.

You'll need to make sure whoever is doing the work understands how to move the 'console', has the locating pins to hold it in place and you have 4 replacement stretch bolts to tighten it back up.

I have mine checked when I change from summer to winter tyres and at the service twice a year, a bit of overkill but have you seen the state of Lincolnshire roads? :notme:

Camber can only be matched side to side.

You'll need to make sure whoever is doing the work understands how to move the 'console', has the locating pins to hold it in place and you have 4 replacement stretch bolts to tighten it back up.

What about the rear phil...any adjustments available there?

So basically the cars with dramatically lowered suspension ie coilovers set low have very positive camber and will go through tyres on the inside edge pretty quickly

I made the mistake of waiting a while before getting my tracking and alignment done after lowering mine.

Resulted in this from brand new to cord in about a month. oops :P 

DSC_0293_zpsoueypm16.jpg

New wheels and tyres fitted now, tracking done correctly, all fine! 

IMG_3094_zpsgobryf3o.jpg

I made the mistake of waiting a while before getting my tracking and alignment done after lowering mine.

Resulted in this from brand new to cord in about a month. oops :P

DSC_0293_zpsoueypm16.jpg

New wheels and tyres fitted now, tracking done correctly, all fine!

IMG_3094_zpsgobryf3o.jpg

Ouch, thank god I went straight from lowering onto the wheel allignment ramp. Old wheels gone or keeping for winters ? Like the wheels too :) different.

• Like 1